Tom Yum Goong 2

Drunken Monk

I think that Tony Jaa's situation was strange in that they put so much effort into promoting Ong Bak in the first place doing all those live performances and interviews all over the world and even getting him known to non martial arts fans that the next step seemed to be global stardom but then......well, nothing really. There were rumours that he was learning to speak English and that he was in talks to be involved in Hollywood movies but 10 years on despite his obvious talent it's clearly never going to happen for him. The problem he has now is that his hard-hitting, acrobatic style doesn't look fresh anymore as it's been copied so much already and at 37 years old it's unlikely he'll be able to come up with new breathtaking feats of physicality that will wow audiences in the way he did when he first came onto the scene. Still he is a great martial artist and i'd love to see more of him but sadly I think his time has passed.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you guys are being way too hard on Jaa, these movies taking years to make isn't Jaa's fault as much as the entire Thai film industry that seems to be set on a way of doing things and not learning from their previous efforts.

It also baffles me that a lot of people give RZA a free pass on his directorial debut, but blast Jaa for 2 movies that aren't all that bad(imo the 2nd one is badass!) Now I'm sure directing a movie is no easy task, but RZA had all the money and support of Hollywood that Jaa didn't.

Also 37 isn't so old anymore, Donnie Yen has more than showed you can stay productive well past your youth, I'm not going to sell Jaa short just yet.

I think you guys are being way too hard on Jaa, these movies taking years to make isn't Jaa's fault as much as the entire Thai film industry that seems to be set on a way of doing things and not learning from their previous efforts.

It also baffles me that a lot of people give RZA a free pass on his directorial debut, but blast Jaa for 2 movies that aren't all that bad(imo the 2nd one is badass!) Now I'm sure directing a movie is no easy task, but RZA had all the money and support of Hollywood that Jaa didn't.

Also 37 isn't so old anymore, Donnie Yen has more than showed you can stay productive well past your youth, I'm not going to sell Jaa short just yet.

I am not one who gives the RZA a free pass. After scanning some of the fight scenes I had enough, I won't even see the whole movie. The difference between Jaa and RZA is Jaa has the talent and potential to be really big in the martial arts movie industry and seems to be wasting precious time. Look how much movies Donnie and Scott crank out. They obviously care about the fans. RZA just appreciates the genere, which is great but he should not be making martial arts films. Just saying.

considering Tom Yung Goom part one made NO SENSE whatsoever and was completely confusing, why even contemplate a sequel? He should put his efforts in to something that does not involve an elephant this time. just an opinion

Drunken Monk
considering Tom Yung Goom part one made NO SENSE whatsoever and was completely confusing, why even contemplate a sequel? He should put his efforts in to something that does not involve an elephant this time. just an opinion

"Ong Bak" was pretty much plot-less drivel and yet we got the great "Ong Bak 2" off the back of it. I wouldn't count "Tum Yung Goom 2" out just because it's a sequel to be a rather "empty" film.

In regards to the length of time, I'm sure the film makers are more than aware they have a lot to live up to. With the names involved and with Thai action cinema already catching up to Jaa's early skill level, they really need to make something special.

As long as we're guaranteed a solid product, I'll wait. I'd rather wait and get gold than get it now and have someone shit in my eyes.

"Ong Bak" was pretty much plot-less drivel and yet we got the great "Ong Bak 2" off the back of it. I wouldn't count "Tum Yung Goom 2" out just because it's a sequel to be a rather "empty" film.

In regards to the length of time, I'm sure the film makers are more than aware they have a lot to live up to. With the names involved and with Thai action cinema already catching up to Jaa's early skill level, they really need to make something special.

As long as we're guaranteed a solid product, I'll wait. I'd rather wait and get gold than get it now and have someone shit in my eyes.

But is that possible, with RZA + 3D + wires?

Drunken Monk
But is that possible, with RZA + 3D + wires?

Well, we don't know the capacity in which Rza is involved. I doubt it's direction and is more likely going to be a cameo.

As for the wires? Plenty of modern films use wires and pull it off. The "Ip Man" films used wires and most of us still consider them fantastic modern kung fu films. If they can incorporate wires in a smart, interesting way rather than chucking them into every scene in the film, it could be good.

3D? Christ, I forgot. It's such a useless gimmick in every way. It usually signifies that film is actually going to be terrible. A kung fu flm with 3D usually implies the movie is going to be worse than usual.

i dunno.....th RZA, 3D, and wirework? I cringe at that combination. I know that it may be done to push Jaa into mainstream action, but I have a problem with RZA , for one. While I appreciate his love of the genre, and credit the Wu for getting me to appreciate and accept hip hop, I have problems with his involvement at times. I have listened to his "commentaries".....and I will be honest.....yes he has knowledge of the genre, but.....forgive me when I say this......when he talks about it, I just cringe. Upon listening to the "36th Chamber" commentary with Andy Kline, RZA kept calling the Manchus "Mongoloids"......I don't know if he was referring to Mongolians> but either way it was stupid and almost offensive. it was like they put his name on the cover just to sell more units (and who can blame them). Man with the Iron fists was ok. i had some fun with it, but this combo coming about with RZA, 3D, Tony Jaa, and Wirework......well....honestly it kind of scares me.

Drunken Monk
i dunno.....th RZA, 3D, and wirework? I cringe at that combination. I know that it may be done to push Jaa into mainstream action, but I have a problem with RZA , for one. While I appreciate his love of the genre, and credit the Wu for getting me to appreciate and accept hip hop, I have problems with his involvement at times. I have listened to his "commentaries".....and I will be honest.....yes he has knowledge of the genre, but.....forgive me when I say this......when he talks about it, I just cringe. Upon listening to the "36th Chamber" commentary with Andy Kline, RZA kept calling the Manchus "Mongoloids"......I don't know if he was referring to Mongolians> but either way it was stupid and almost offensive. it was like they put his name on the cover just to sell more units (and who can blame them). Man with the Iron fists was ok. i had some fun with it, but this combo coming about with RZA, 3D, Tony Jaa, and Wirework......well....honestly it kind of scares me.

Well let me ask you, what would put you at ease regarding Rza or is any association between him and this film a bad thing?

I'm a Rza naysayer as much as the next man. "The Man with the Iron Fists" was the single worst film of 2012 by a country mile and I don't think he should be allowed behind a camera.

But hey, a cameo? Musical input? I'm willing to embrace that.

My point is I won't worry about this until more is known. Yes, it seems like it could be bad. Nothing causes a die hard kung fu cinema fan's knees to knock together in horror like the combination of "wires and 3D." But there is always hope.

Of course, if they release a statement that says, "Rza directed a number of scenes..." then I'll be immediately hopping on the "This filmed is doomed!" bandwagon and will be forced to eat my words.

I agree wholeheartedly, I think it was Jaa's worse movie(movies after OB that is), I actually like OB3 better, it hopefully means it can only get better from there but good christ 3D?:neutral:

I'm really disappointed they took some of his other projects off the board, I was looking forward to a project called The Sword, which was going to be a period piece, I'd love to see a proper movie about Krabi Krabong, one of my favorite Jaa fight scenes is at the end of Ong Bak where he uses a couple different weapons.

Well, we don't know the capacity in which Rza is involved. I doubt it's direction and is more likely going to be a cameo.

As for the wires? Plenty of modern films use wires and pull it off. The "Ip Man" films used wires and most of us still consider them fantastic modern kung fu films. If they can incorporate wires in a smart, interesting way rather than chucking them into every scene in the film, it could be good.

3D? Christ, I forgot. It's such a useless gimmick in every way. It usually signifies that film is actually going to be terrible. A kung fu flm with 3D usually implies the movie is going to be worse than usual.

Honestly, I absolutely love Ip Man, but I thought Ip Man 2 was atrocious. I didn't notice much wires at all in the first one, but in the second one, it was extremely obvious and just jarring at times (the tabletop fight springs to mind).

I think if I had to rank in order from most scared of to least scared of, it would be:

3D > Wires > RZA

Actually, ordering wires/RZA is very difficult for me. But 3D wins easy.

I too was extremely excited about The Sword. Thought he really would have done some hot ish with the KK. Unfortunately.

Ip Man 1 had lots of wires.

One Armed Boxer

There's a fresh off the press interview with director Prachya Pinkaew conducted by Mike Leeder over at Impact Online which is worth checking out....looks like the 3D is going to be a big element of it.

On the plus side Mike is one of the few to have witnessed any footage of the movie, in the form of a rooftop motorbike chase sequence, and I remember at the time it was shown he seemed pretty enthusiastic about what was on screen. For now though, the waiting continues.

http://www.impactonline.co/features/1203-tom-yum-goong2-prachya-pinkaew-interview

One Armed Boxer

FINALLY....nice find Lionclaw!!! This trailer has taken forever to arrive! Looks to be good stuff....but seriously, the plot is just that his elephant has been stolen again....the same elephant!? I was honestly hoping this would improve on the story line side of things considering Pinkaew & co have had almost a decade of people complaining about the original hardly having a plot....but it seems they've been content with just stringing together a bunch of spectacular action sequences again. Oh well, I'll take it.

I've embedded the trailer below -

SDAFLwgBz20

TibetanWhiteCrane

Same stolen elephant, same old moves, feet on fire... again, Mirror's Edge style parkour vision, 3D, Rza in a speaking part etc....... No, i've officialy lost any modicum of interest I initially had in this movie.

I wouldn't really mind more of the same action-wise, if they would just try something new with story and characters. Oh well, im sure plenty of people will enjoy it. I'll find it in the bargain bin somewhere down the road, I guess.

Same stolen elephant, same old moves, feet on fire... again, Mirror's Edge style parkour vision, 3D, Rza in a speaking part etc....... No, i've officialy lost any modicum of interest I initially had in this movie.

I wouldn't really mind more of the same action-wise, if they would just try something new with story and characters. Oh well, im sure plenty of people will enjoy it. I'll find it in the bargain bin somewhere down the road, I guess.

Totally agree. It's almost as if they were struggling to find scenes for the teaser trailer. We'll see.

Id knew they take it down quickly but that was quicker than expected. Oh, well, at least I know what I'm in for. And the RZA speaking in movies is never good. He did alright in American Gangster but that was it. And for the elephant stuff, you know its not a Tony Jaa movie without one, lol. The movie he has coming up with Dolph might not have any though.....

odioustrident

Looks like it will deliver on what people should have reasonably been expecting. If an emphasis on plot occurred at the expense of even a few action scenes... I would have been disappointed. Looks like some of the stunts are computer enhanced?

Here is another one for people who missed it first time around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XmkZDVJpelA#!

odioustrident: I remember months ago Todd Brown from twitch mentioning the use of wires and cgi in the footage. I blame the fact that it was shot in 3D. Hopefully it doesn't get too ridiculous because I know Jeeja has no problem with crazy wire moves.

Drunken Monk

I also just uploaded it just in case...

bR8X77z01uE

It looks to be seriously fight heavy but there is a lot we have seen before.

Archived