Tom Yum Goong 2

Drunken Monk

ShaOW!linDude

I was just about to post this same link.

Good grief. What's the deal?

I wonder if the pressure is too much, considering that OB 2 & 3 tanked. And I never could understand the lack of love for OB 2. It's understandable for OB 3. (And I just watched that again 2 weeks ago. Granted, it's not Jaa's best effort by far but it still has it's moments and there's some good choreography in there.)

I think he may be worrying too much about how this will be received when it comes out instead of concentrating on the work at hand now. And getting married in the middle of production? That should've been done beforehand or afterwards. A wedding is a major undertaking, even for the guys involved (as little as we want to be, right, fellas?:wink:)

Is his pride wounded because of all the talent that's being brought in to help insure this movie goes over? He needs decent costars, granted, but the action should be foremost. I don't mean to relegate him to the role of a monkey but Jaa shouldn't be worrying about anything but practicing the choreography and learning a few lines of dialogue. Let Prachya and Panna worry about everything else. He's needs to trust them to showcase him in the best light and the rest will take care of itself.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just about to post this same link.

Good grief. What's the deal?

I wonder if the pressure is too much, considering that OB 2 & 3 tanked. And I never could understand the lack of love for OB 2. It's understandable for OB 3. (And I just watched that again 2 weeks ago. Granted, it's not Jaa's best effort by far but it still has it's moments and there's some good choreography in there.)

I think he may be worrying too much about how this will be received when it comes out instead of concentrating on the work at hand now. And getting married in the middle of production? That should've been done beforehand or afterwards. A wedding is a major undertaking, even for the guys involved (as little as we want to be, right, fellas?:wink:)

Is his pride wounded because of all the talent that's being brought in to help insure this movie goes over? He needs decent costars, granted, but the action should be foremost. I don't mean to relegate him to the role of a monkey but Jaa shouldn't be worrying about anything but practicing the choreography and learning a few lines of dialogue. Let Prachya and Panna worry about everything else. He's needs to trust them to showcase him in the best light and the rest will take care of itself.

I completely agree. I think it has a lot to do with his pride especially after OB3 and the success Jeeja has had in his absence plus all the added co stars. I mean you figure with all the hype (much deserved) surrounding The Raid, Tony (and company) would be foaming at the mouth to show the world that Thai action cinema is alive and well but what's being reported, sadly doesn't show that. It's disappointing because on paper, TYG2 looked to be a mind-blowing experience. I hope they get it together.

I agree with you Guys I don't know why everyone hated OB#2 I thought it was great! Now pt. #3 yes that sucked, but its a shame he has so much talent! Send in Gareth Evans to help him out, and direct him in an action movie!

Guest Yi-Long

I'm kinda mixed on all this:

1: I admire that Tony takes the time he needs to bring us something original, and making sure it's as good as possible...

BUT....

2: he seems to be taking TOO much time, might be TOO perfectionistic, especially when right now he's still in his physical peak and should just churn out entertaining martial arts movies every 1-2 years, using that to cement his place in the industry, building up a nice catalogue, and using it to learn the ropes on the go.

These are martial arts movies. They don't need a brilliant script. they don't need brilliant acting, they don't need CGI effects, or huge explosions, or car-chases, or huge casts, or big crowds or settings, etc etc. As far as genres go, martial arts movies really only need to do 1 thing right: the martial arts.

And so it's ridiculous that these movies would take 3-4 years to shoot, when there's a dedicated crew and cast at hand. Just come up with a decent simple interesing story,. some characters to like, some to hate/fear, decide about the action and prepare for it, and shoot it! I'm not saying they should rub one out every 3 weeks or so, but 1 proper movie a year shouldn't be challenge, especially not when we just want to see Tony do his thing, meaning spinning kicks and jumps and all that.

And once he gets older, his skills will diminish, and THAT would be the time to focus more on the other aspects of the movie and be demanding in those areas.

Guest Yi-Long
I agree with you Guys I don't know why everyone hated OB#2 I thought it was great! Now pt. #3 yes that sucked, but its a shame he has so much talent! Send in Gareth Evans to help him out, and direct him in an action movie!

I didn't hate OB2, but I didn't really care for it either. Mostly cause there wasn't much to care about. I didn't care for the character, I didn't care for his story, and was there even a villain to care about!?

1 of the most important things about these movies is that you need to feel some kind of connection to the main character and his plight and struggle. I didn't find that in OB.

Also, martial arts wise, BECAUSE I didn't care about his story, I couldn't really care about the fightscenes either.

It certainly wasn't a bad movie, but nowhere did it ever touch me or REALLY impress me. I just had a nice time watching it, and after that nothing.

One Armed Boxer
Just think, Chocolate 2 and Formless are on hold for this fiasco. SMH

I echo this statement, and in all honesty I think the biggest victim out of all this, even more than us the audience, is Jija Yanin. This is a girl who, after unsuccessfully auditioning for a part in 'Born to Fight', Panna personally trained for a period of almost 5 years in order to make her the next big female action star.

& for all intents and purposes, he did, 'Chocolate' & 'Raging Phoenix' came out within a couple of years of each other, and even though I didn't enjoy 'Raging Phoenix', the important thing was she was living up to her potential....if you crank out a movie every couple of years in your prime like she was, a few duds along the way is no problem.

But now her talents are being wasted in what seems like another production hell, and she's confined to making what are essentially extended cameos in movies like 'The Kick'. I would much rather watch her latest movie to see how she is improving as she matures both as an action star and as an actress, than just wait around with baited breath for Jaa's latest effort which doesn't even have a guarantee of arriving.

too bad, this was my second most anticipated martial arts film this year! oh well, everything is still speculation at this point. it may be finished and released by the end of this year, it may be postponed until next year, it may never come out. who knows?

I have a feeling with the critical acclaim achieved by The Raid, Sahamongkol is probably reassessing their properties.

Everything I've read online has people putting the blame on Jaa when in reality it's the film company that has the problem releasing a movie in due time. Jaa might of dropped the ball on OB2(which was, imo, a great fucking movie), but he isn't the only actor to try to take the director chair to find out it's how difficult it is.

As I remember it took Sahamongkol 2-3 years to get the first TYG finished, I didn't see people blaming Jaa for that, he's an actor, he doesn't run the show.

One Armed Boxer

Sounds good, I'm all in for some impressive CGI-free stunt work so this gives me hope.

If anyone's wondering about the Jija Yanin movie 'Bad Ass' that's mentioned in the article, it's actually the same movie which was being discussed in this thread (& looks pretty bad) - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13963

I've had Jakkalan (This Girl Is Badass) on DVD for over a year, and yeah, it's nothing spectacular. It's chock full of Thai humour that only they would find funny, ladyboys with guns and fat guys in silly costumes.

But, for anyone that's interested: I uploaded all the fight scenes to my YouTube channel.

Levi

I really wasn't impressed with the 1st. clip when she was using the bicycle you could see it as way to choreographed. The 2nd. fight when she used the tire tubes seems like a homage to older Jackie Chan movies when he would use whatever he could.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I've had Jakkalan (This Girl Is Badass) on DVD for over a year, and yeah, it's nothing spectacular. It's chock full of Thai humour that only they would find funny, ladyboys with guns and fat guys in silly costumes.

But, for anyone that's interested: I uploaded all the fight scenes to my YouTube channel.

Levi

The movie looks aiight, but I have like the biggest crush on her like ever, too bad she doesn't speak English....:tinysmile_angry2_t:

I know exactly what you mean. I'm borderline obsessed with her. She does speak English actually. I have a friend who's lived in Thailand for a number of years and has met Jeeja a few times. He tells me her English has improved a lot.

Here's a video from 4 years ago. You can only imagine how much better at it she is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFZFXlPXW7Y

I'm not sure if anyone posted the bigger version of this poster. Either way, here it is...

1-1.jpg

Are those numbers burnt/carved into his chest?

Hmmm I think I saw earlier that this was going to be 3d but I am still disappoint.

Everything doesn't need to be made in 3d gheeeeeeeesh. Flying Swords of Dragon Gate I could see being in 3d because of the epic scope of the movie and the scenery.

But TYG took place in a city for the most part, and I assume TYG 2 is going to primarily take place in a city as well... Guess we will get to see some generic flyover shots of buildings in 3d and what not.

Archived