• Last Reply
The Silver Fox

Drunken Master

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Invincible Armour

Dance of the Drunk Mantis

Secret Rivals 1&2

Hells Windstaff

Tiger Over Wall-The end fight with Philip Ko is spectacular. I seriously think some of it is real-they are really going nuts

There are many more but off the top of my head those are the standouts. I think HJL would pretty much appear in anything as long as the money was right-there is a whole bunch of mediocre films that have him making these brief appearances as the baddie or end fight villain.

That being said, he elevates anything he's in so a crap movie with even a couple of minutes of HJL fighting is usually worth a purchase.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thanks.

Bob's incredible artwork has motivated me to seek out some of his stuff.

Thank you, and cool! You won't be disappointed. To Silver Fox and The Silver Fox's choices I would add...

NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN- Hwang only has basically an overblown cameo. But it's an outrageous, bad ass fighting cameo! Plus, the movie is a ton of fun, starring Conan Lee (looking and acting like a more muscular, less goofy Jackie Chan) as a kung fu fighter and (Sonny Chiba protege) "Henry" Hiroyuki "Duke" Sanada as a ninja on a mission. The fight/stunt choreo by Corey Yuen is fantastic, and aside from his usual kicks of fury, Hwang (playing an evil priest) fights using... a freaking cannonball!!! :tongue: Ouch! :cry:

KID FROM KWANGTUNG- The film stars Young Wong-Yu, and is a fun but uneven Shaw Brothers production. There are some attempts at JC film type antics which are okay, but could've been trimmed. However, YWY looks great in action here, and there's a great supporting cast too. Though it is flawed, I always enjoy this one a lot. Hwang plays a really cool villain in this. At times he is either possessed by, or calls on the spirit of his pet cat (not too sure which) and his eyes glow crazy green. I know in text that may sound stupid, but in the movie it's The Shit- I love it! :nerd: I just had to include a shot from this on my poster (the drawing where he's smiling that evil "I'm about to send you straight to Hell" grin)! Anyway, at one point, even while continuing to calmly stroke his cat, he kicks the stuffing out of some dude. LOL Hwang really gets to show a vast array of his incredible skills here, and there are tons of "Holy shit I need to rewind that!" moments. The final fight is one of the most wince-inducing things I've ever seen. I actually felt bad for the villain! I'm sure Hwang must've suffered quite a bit in real life to film that too. I won't ruin it by saying what "It" is, but "it" looked like some of it was not faked! Don't miss this one.

Let us know what you think after you check these out Kung Foolery. :bigsmile:

Ring of Death is also quite worth seeing. While Hwang only appears in the end as a Russian fighter, his fights are really good, especially against Cliff Lok

Tower of Death (Game of Death 2) also is a must because his final fight against Kim Tae-Jeong was an awesome kick-fest IMO.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eht0h-BuIX0

Demon Strike a great one with: Hwang Jang Lee, Jason Pai Piao, Leung Kar-Leun (Beardy)

Hwang is mostly seen in the end but well worth the price of admission.

GD Y-Y.

Movies **************************************************** The ones I saw.

* Secret Envoy (1974)

* Black Dragon River aka Martial mates (1975)

* Year of the Dragon aka Kill the Shogun (1975)

* Korean Connection (1975)

* Secret Rivals (1976) *********************************************************

* Bruce Lee's Secret (1976)

* Shaolin Wooden Men (1976) ********************************************

* The Invincible Armour (1977) **********************************************

* The Secret Rivals 2 (1977) ***********************************************

* Instant Kung Fu Man (1977) ***********************************************

* Snuff Bottle Connection (1977) *************************************************

* Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978) ****************************************

* Drunken Master (1978) *********************************************************

* Hell's Wind Staff (1979) **********************************************************

* 36 Deadly Styles (1979) ******************************************************

* Dragon's Claws (1979) **********************************************************

* Demon Strike (1979) **************************************************************

* Heroes of Shaolin (1979) *******************************************************

* Dance of the Drunk Mantis (1979) *********************************************

* Lackey and the Lady Tiger (1980)

* Two Fists Against the Law (1980) ********************************************

* Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger (1980)

* Tiger Over Wall (1980) ********************************************************

* Young Hero (1980) *************************************************************

* Ring of Death (1980) *****************************************************

* Buddha Assassinator (1980) *****************************************************

* Heroes of Shaolin (1980) *********************************************************

* Blood child aka Five Fingers of Steel (1980) *************************************

* Sangwoon (1980)

* Hitman in the Hand of Buddha (1981) ***************************************

* The Eagle's Killer (1981) *********************************************************

* The Phantom Thief (1981)

* Return of the Deadly Blade (1981) *****************************************************

* Game Of Death II (1981)

* Ninja Strikes Back (1982)

* Art of High Impact Kicking (1982)

* Ninja in the Dragon's Den (1982) ****************************************************

* Kid from Kwangtung (1982) ***************************************************************

* Secret Executioners (1982) *******************************************************

* Raging Masters Tiger Crane (1982) ********************************************

* Eagle vs. Silver Fox (1982) ********************************************************

* 5 pattern Dragon Claws (1983) ********************************************************

* Duel of the Ultimate Weapons (1983) ******************************************************

* Ghosts Galore (1983) ***********************************************************

* Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple (1983) *******************************************

* Canton Viper (1983)

* Yong-pal in Shaolin Temple (1983)

* Angry Young Man (1983)

* Masters of Tiger Crane (1983) ***********************************************************

* Shaolin: The Blood Mission (1984) *********************************************************

* Challenge of the Tiger (1985)

* The First Vampire in China (1986)

* Innocent Interloper (1986)

* Where's Officer Tuba (1986)

* Millionaire's Express (1986) *****************************************************

* Ninja Terminator (1986)

* Angel (1987)

* No Retreat, No Surrender II: Raging Thunder (1987)

* Magnificent Warriors (1987) ************************************************************

* Bed Companion (1988)

* Darkside of Chinatown (1989)

* Live Hard (1989)

* Future Hunters (1989)

* Street Soldiers (1991)

* Emperor of the Underworld (1994)

* Boss (1996)

* Return of Iljimae (TV series) (2009)

On a side note, what were the other movies where he wasn't a villain?

If you mean Hwang

-Canton Viper

-Hard Bastard

-Blood Child (5 Fingers of Steel)

-Innocent Interloper

prinnysquad
If you mean Hwang

-Canton Viper

-Hard Bastard

-Blood Child (5 Fingers of Steel)

-Innocent Interloper

Add Black Dragon River to that list.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I have 2 versions. The best is the Tai Seng/Martial Arts theater dvd. Pretty good picture full screen/dubbed.

There is also a Videoasia transfer on the Martial Arts Essentials Vol. 7 box set. It claims to be an uncut Korean edition with extra action. I found it UNWATCHABLE, the picture is terrible and videoasia even warns you of this on the menu screen. If videoasia warns you about their own bad transfers, YOU KNOW IT MUST BE BAD.

But "Ring of Death aka Bastard Kung Fu Master" is also on this videoasia box set, as well as a few other classics. I would go with the Tai Seng dvd if you're only looking for "Hitman".

Hahhahaha, that's so funny... you gotta be a die-hard fan to wanna watch something of that quality... Videoasia was selling it anyways knowing fans would do anything to watch rare kung fu movies....

OpiumKungFuCracker
No, I didn't pickup the box set for "Hitman". I picked it up for "Legend of a Fighter","Ring of Death", and "Dragon Squad". "Hitman" just happened to be included in this box set.

These movies are hard to find in the US. I have yet to find a good widescreen version of "Legend of a Fighter". The other 2 movies "Fearless Young Boxer" and "Mission Kiss and Kill" are pretty good flicks, as well.

I didn't say I bought it for that 1 movie alone. I was just mentioning the copies I have seen available. And for $8, for all these good/great movies, I think it was a pretty good deal. Thank you very much...

It's all cool bro, I didn't mean anything bad, just in general... heck I've been a sucker for all those movies... It's just funny to me that videoasia is that honest unlike most dvd distributors *cough, cough* dragon dynasty/kam&Ramson/Panmedia...

One Armed Boxer
Are there any decent Hit Man dvds available?

I`m no expert, but I think the old UK Eastern Heroes DVD was the best version of this to get, it contained both the normal cut of the movie, and also the Korean version.

He directed this film as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but Yuen Biao and Meng Hoi are credited as the choreographers. This film has it all.

I thought it was Corey Yuen Kwai that did the action choreography, but I could be wrong....yes the DVD case states it, but sometimes they`re not the most reliable source of information either!

55909.jpg

^The opening credits list Yuen Fui and Man Hoi. I wasn't sure who Yuen Fui is? I think you are right, it must be Yuen Kwai. He's one of the thugs at the beginning of the movie.

I'm assuming "Man Hoi" is Meng Hoi? He's clearly visible in multiple scenes doubling for Hwang for flips and the more acrobatic moves.

Yuen Fui is indeed Corey Yuen Kwai. Yuen Fui is a phonetically spelled version of Yuen Kwai and Man Hoi is Mang Hoi.

I think i've enjoyed all Hwangs performances no matter how bad overall the movie might be but my favourites are:

Snake in Eagles Shadow

Hellz Windstaff

Game of Death 2

Wouldve liked more of him in Ninja Strikes Back......that was a cool character.

as was his role in STREET SOLDIERS. He was underused IMO but had a few nice kicking fights when he beat Joon Kim and he played a mute with a rubber snake! :D

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I remember Duel Of The Ultimate Weapons being a somewhat decent film, where he plays the good guy, I think. Kid From Kwangtung could've been a top ten if it were written a little more seriously. Still some great fighting from HYL.

Watched recently snuff bottle connection. It is "must have" I guess..Hwang is his usual cool himself buried under lot white hair:wink:. Nice to see Roy Horan in action too...Trouble with this and some other movies made by more or less same team HWL when you see him often get beaten by tino wong, john liu, jackie chan is getting boring...He is perfect villain but his opponents in movies are not likeable ones:tongue:

On the other hand that tells lot about HJL`s abilities, all those movies worth seeing:kiss:

Archived