Best old-school movies to initiate newcomers to the genre?

Apanblod

As the title suggests, I've been trying to figure out what kung fu movies (shaws included, of course) are the best to show to friends who are unexposed to this (let's be honest) rather unusual genre. Most of the movies I love would probably be way too offbeat to "ordinary" viewers and I wouldn't want to scare people off.

I suppose the optimum movie would have at least some of the following attributes:

Plenty of fights (preferably good shapes, but not TOO outlandish, or it might seem ridiculous)

Somewhat high production value (or if played for comedic effect with a couple of beers, just the opposite I guess)

Serious mood (the intentional comedy of HK movies is something even I can't stand 9 times out of 10, so I wouldn't expect a newbie to do that)

Good villain (pretty self-explanatory)

A decent DVD-release (don't expect beginners to excuse washed out colours and pan-and-scan cropped pictures that veterans pretty much have to)

Good subtitles (or if watched for laughs, a fun English dub will do just as fine)

One movie that comes to mind is 7 Grandmasters, as basic as it gets and just straightforward action without much fuzz.

What would you say?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

I would suggest Heroes Of The East but that may be overkill for a newcomer.

Jet Li's Shaolin Temple is just rampant with cool choreography.

And the Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao movie Prodigal Son would definitely win someone over.

One Armed Boxer
And the Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao movie Prodigal Son would definitely win someone over.

I'll second this....if you have to choose just one old school movie, 'Prodigal Son' is the way to go....it's pretty much as close to prefect as a kung-fu movie comes.

lillippa328

i think Prodigal Son would be good but people will be thrown off to the opera scene where hes acting like a woman, people in america would call it gay...smh

id say 36 Chambers personally....

sifu iron perm

snake in the eagle..

the orig dub vers..

soundtrack..jackie, hwang, Yuen Siu Tien, roy horan, fight directions etc..

I actually introduced people to ENTER THE FAT DRAGON as a 1st kung fu film to a few people and I explained how Lee Hoi-Sang's character was in blackface and despite the raise in questions over that, they ultimately liked the film.

I'll second this....if you have to choose just one old school movie, 'Prodigal Son' is the way to go....it's pretty much as close to prefect as a kung-fu movie comes.

I actually showed Prodigal Son to a couple of friends who were new to kung fu movies except for maybe one or two bruce lee-movies, and the reception was lukewarm at best. I love the movie, or at least parts of it, but I think the overall impression is a bit messy. It might seem really difficult to get into to a "western" audience, and I'd say this is a movie you shouldn't show newbies, and it's much much easier to appreciate it when accustomed to the conventions of the genre. But that's just my experience of course. I showed the same people Knockabout a bit later and the result wasn't much better. This was back when my library of movies was more limited, I think I would have chosen differently today.

Heroes of the East might actually be a good choice, very solid, straightforward movie with action that's easy to appreciate.

I think 36th chamber might be a bit too slow, and the training scenes, however ingenious, may seem weird, and the action afterwards just doesn't pay off enough IMO, but again, I'm probably wrong.

Snake in the Eagle's shadow could be good, especially since it's Jackie Chan and the comedy isn't as annoying as in Drunken Master.

King Boxer might be a gem to old school aficionados and story-wise, it's awesome, but the fights have aged really really bad, even to the point where I think people might laugh at it..

One Armed Boxer
I actually showed Prodigal Son to a couple of friends who were new to kung fu movies except for maybe one or two bruce lee-movies, and the reception was lukewarm at best. I love the movie, or at least parts of it, but I think the overall impression is a bit messy. It might seem really difficult to get into to a "western" audience, and I'd say this is a movie you shouldn't show newbies, and it's much much easier to appreciate it when accustomed to the conventions of the genre. But that's just my experience of course. I showed the same people Knockabout a bit later and the result wasn't much better.

Wow....if both 'Prodigal Son' & 'Knockabout' fell flat your friends are very difficult to please! Perhaps old-school might not be the best way to get them into kung-fu, modern day action might be a better way to go.

If the content of these movies didn't go across well, then what will they think of Jackie Chan jumping around like a cat complete with screeching cat sound effects at the end of 'Snake in the Eagles Shadow'!?

I think 36th chamber might be a bit too slow, and the training scenes, however ingenious, may seem weird, and the action afterwards just doesn't pay off enough IMO, but again, I'm probably wrong.

We're probably going to get pelted with rotten tomatos for this, but I also agree with this statement, I enjoyed 'Return to the 36th Chamber' much more than the original actually.

When you watch MA films they focus on the Martial Arts, everything else comes second. That's why these films are not blockbusters they are designed for a certain audience, mostly the mainstream audiences avoid. If your friends like these films then there is a huge world filled with classics

Exactly, however judged on what you've said so far, I think I'd be inclined to agree with some other members suggestions of showing your friends some Chang Cheh movies. Especially the Venoms stuff, they are usually bloody, straightforward, intricately choregoraphed affairs that should transfer across well to someone not familiar with the genre. Particularly I'd recommend 'Crippled Avengers' and 'Masked Avengers'....hard to go wrong with those two.

I'd second Morgoth on 'Legend of a Fighter' as well.

I'll go with the posters who recommended King Boxer, Crippled Avengers and Prodigal Son. Those are three of my all time faves right there and would (for different reasons) convert the uninitiated.

36th Chamber of Shaolin too, though I agree it is slow (deliberately) paced. I call it The Training Film since the entire middle hour shows the kung fu development from beginning to end and is really absorbing to watch.

others I'd recommend are:

The One Armed Boxer (sheer insanity)

Five Shaolin Masters

Warriors Two (Prodigal Son was the prequel to this)

Dirty Ho

Duel to the Death

Five Element Ninja

Legendary Weapons of China (maybe my fave of them all, but defiantely NOT the first one to watch!)

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter

You can't go wrong with any of these.

ShaOW!linDude

Not impressed with "Prodigal Son", eh? Hmmm..........

Well, if you need to make an impression on them, then go with Thundering Mantis if for nothing else than the shock factor at the end.:xd:

I'll third Morgoth and OAB on Legend Of A Fighter.

I still say Jet Li's Shaolin Temple would be good. There quite a bit of drunken style in it and a smorgasbord of styles and weaponry.

Oh, and Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog simply for the end fights.

OAB may be right about going with something a little more modern fare. Then I would suggest something along the lines of:

Kiss Of The Dragon

Unleashed

Ong Bak

OpiumKungFuCracker

Prodigal Son is the ideal kung fu movie, I have not heard one bad comment on it when I showed it to my friends, maybe it was because they were studying Wing Chun at the time.. You don't have to know/learn any Wing Chun to know Prodigal Son is the shiznit!!!!

The Amazing Psycho Per

The Loot is as action packed as it comes, and the comedy isn't very heavy. Plus the quality of the fights is amazing.

Of course Drunken Master. If they don't like Drunken Master you're wasting your time.

plus I'll second the following:

8 Diagram pole fighter

Crippled Avengers

Shaolin Temple (Jet Li)

Legend of a Fighter

Again if none of these work, maybe you should give up.

It's hard because a lot movies from that period have, or comedy, or not wall to wall fights, or no proper release. I'd have add Rebellious Reign or something like Mystery of Chess Boxing, but there are no DVD release... Plus, you don't precise what type of comedies are putting you off. Maybe you should give a few exemples of what is too much for you.

Try to avoid the serious a movie to start out with. If you're planing to include beers, best chance of success comes with lots of fun. I would say Master of the Flying Guillotine, Ninja the Final Duel, Magnificent 3, Challenge of the Lady Ninja, etc. Each of those have plenty of fights, but at the same time have lots of fun things going on.

In my experience newbies gets very bored with long shapes fight scenes (that we all love), which is probably why movies like Prodigal Son and Knockabout aren't as big hits as you would think.

One Armed Boxer
Try to avoid the serious a movie to start out with. If you're planing to include beers, best chance of success comes with lots of fun. I would say Master of the Flying Guillotine

Damn....Knockabout you beat me to it, I jumped back on here pretty much just to recommend this movie! 'Master of the Flying Guillotine' got a few of my friends into kung-fu, and pretty much guaranteed they would say yes to anything with Jimmy Wang Yu in!

Many happy beer filled viewing sessions followed which included 'Beach of the War Gods', 'Chinese Boxer', 'One Armed Boxer' (as you can guess....a personal favorite!), 'Knight Errant' (actually perhaps I enjoy this even more than 'One Armed Boxer'!), & 'One Armed Swordsman Vs. Nine Killers'.....all great doses of Jimmy insanity!

masterofoneinchpunch

I lend out movies all the time (all genres) and while doing it I also try to expand their horizens (not like in Clerks), part of it is lending out MA films to people who are not familiar with the genres. I'll tell of my successes and misses.

For the most part I have not been very successful with wuxia films. But I have not tried as hard with these films as with the old-school kung fu films.

Funny that some have complained about Prodigal Son, that actually has been a hit with several that I have lent it to. They got more into that than Warriors Two and Knockabout because of the plot.

Heroes of the East has had some of the best feedback, heck even my Mom loved it (saw it twice).

I have had it easier to lend Jackie Chan than Sammo Hung because of name recognition. But the reactions I have got from some with Hung is amazement at what he can do. But it order to ween them try Jackie Chan films like Drunken Master II or Project A. I actually do not recommend Snakes in the Eagle's Shadow because of the cat involved scenes. You do not want to turn people off right away (it's like lending people new to French film Au Hasard Balthazar).

I have not had great success with Master of the Flying Guillotine unfortunately (even though that usually invovled me berating their taste). I think Jimmy Wang Yu is harder to sell.

Ultimately I think you have to tailor to the tastes. If they are more plot oriented start with Heroes of the East or Prodigal Son. If they need name recognition try something with Jackie Chan. It they like physical spectacle then it becomes a lot easier (still stay away from Wang Yu). If they drink a lot then it is even easier.

BlackLamaFaction

Iron Monkey (School of Shaolin) It absolutely has it all. My favorite kung fu movie and the one I recommend to anyone who asks what they should see first. It has the all star cast (Chen Kuan Tai,Tong Wai Shing, Chi Kuan Chun, Leung Kar Yan, Kam Kong), great revenge storyline, cool training scenes, and an awesome series of final fights. I have never seen an english language version of remastered quality but still very watchable. I saw a trailer for a German version that looks wonderful but I don't think it's available in english.

5 Element Ninja

5 Shaolin Masters

5 Deadly Venoms

5 is the lucky number!

I can also agree with Prodigal Son, Iron Monkey, Shaolin Temple,

Blood Sword

Snake in eagles shadow&drunken master and last hurrah for chivalry were movies my friends who do not usually watch kung-fu liked a lot.

I agree that prodigal son is not one to show to newbies(that's regardless of my personal opinion that's its a film that has moments as opposed to being a solid film- it simply not one of my faves)

Prodigal Son probably one you may show someone who already has a taste eg they have seen titles you recommended as an intro to the genre.

- I would show these as an intro to the genre for sure - mainly because they feature high level fights a basic plot (and some have humor)

Drunken Master

Snake in the eagles shadow,

The Challenger

The Loot

Shaolin temple

The Victim

Master Killers

There are more I'm sure (and there was a thread like this some time back if memory serves me well) but these will do for now

As the title suggests, I've been trying to figure out what kung fu movies (shaws included, of course) are the best to show to friends who are unexposed to this (let's be honest) rather unusual genre. Most of the movies I love would probably be way too offbeat to "ordinary" viewers and I wouldn't want to scare people off.

I suppose the optimum movie would have at least some of the following attributes:

Plenty of fights (preferably good shapes, but not TOO outlandish, or it might seem ridiculous)

Somewhat high production value (or if played for comedic effect with a couple of beers, just the opposite I guess)

Serious mood (the intentional comedy of HK movies is something even I can't stand 9 times out of 10, so I wouldn't expect a newbie to do that)

Good villain (pretty self-explanatory)

A decent DVD-release (don't expect beginners to excuse washed out colours and pan-and-scan cropped pictures that veterans pretty much have to)

Good subtitles (or if watched for laughs, a fun English dub will do just as fine)

One movie that comes to mind is 7 Grandmasters, as basic as it gets and just straightforward action without much fuzz.

What would you say?

Snake In The Eagle's Shadow

7 Grandmasters

Little Superman

5 Superfighters

Boxer From Shantung

Legend Of A Fighter

Born Invincible

7 Steps Of Kung Fu - Kung Fu Of Seven Steps

Monkey Kung Fu

The Secret Rivals

Ninja In The Dragon's Den