Game Of Thrones Vs Camelot

ShaOW!linDude

ShaOW!linDude

Has anyone checked either of these out?

Game Of Thrones aired this past Sunday on HBO.

Camelot has been running for 3 weeks now on Fridays on Starz.

I've watched both. I have to say......I think "Game of Thrones" is the better of the 2.

It has a better feel to it and the action in the premiere was better than anything so far in "Camelot", I think.

Me and the Mrs. just don't buy the young guy playing Arthur. He's awful and does not seem very kingly. Eva Green plays his sister, Morgan, who is delving into the occult both of which I find interesting. The mishmash of their weaving of Arthurian lore is confusing to me. Joseph Fiennes is playing Merlin and he seems a bit underhanded and unscrupulous. Tasmin Egertoon, a lovely girl looking like a young Jane Levees, plays Guinevere. I like her but their making the character out to be a skank already.

The only thing about this I'm looking forward to should I stick with it is the amassing of knights.

The cast of "Game Of Thrones": Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Lena Headey, Jason Momoa, and Peter Dinklage to name a few; these are some great actors (well, can't really speak for Momoa....his character just smoldered and didn't utter a word but he's like a Celt or some such). The plot threads are intriguing right off the bat. And the ep started off with something supernaturally wicked coming to no doubt recur through the series. The action seems better, too, though there wasn't much. I'm sure that will pick up.

The comparisons/reviews are generally in favor of "GOT" over "Camelot" and I have to say so far I agree. But I'll see what happens. Don't think the Mrs. is going to hang with "Camelot" though. Can't blame her.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm gonna read the books for Games Of Throne first, maybe after finish reading within a year I can watch the T.V show... I'm a slow reader, lol....

ShaOW!linDude

That's some heavy reading, bro.

The series is scheduled for 7 books of which there are currently only 4.

http://www.amazon.com/George-Martins-Thrones-4-Book-Boxed/dp/0345529057/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303395047&sr=1-1

The fifth is scheduled for a summer release this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-Song-Fire-Book/dp/0553801473/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303395047&sr=1-6

Never read any of these myself. The author is being referred to as the American Tolkien {note the double R middle initials --- coincidence?}. (I never read LOTR either. Love the films.) I'm curious about them. If I should run across the 1st one in a used bookstore I might pick it up and read it (depending on my mood).

I'm funny about stuff like this. If I've read the source material, I tend to shy away from the film or television depictions. If I'm watching the movie or show based off something I've never read, I tend never to read it. (There are exceptions, of course.) My experience is that one tends to ruin the other. (And there are exceptions there as well but they are few.)

ironfistedmonk

I've read the first 3 books of A Song of Ice and Fire, Game of Thrones being the first book. I'm sceptical about how they can transform this into a TV series, there is a ton of stuff in there that they will no doubt gloss over or miss out as it is so packed with intrigue and sub plots, looking forward to seeing what they do with it none the less.

ShaOW!linDude

Well, at 3 eps in I'm enjoying GOT.

All the intrigue is.......well, intriguing. Loving the characters and the actors portraying them. The sets and cinematography are still first rate. But.......

Where's the action? I'm sure it's building up to some but come on! I want some "hack and slash" already! If the 2 seasons of Spartacus can have both action and drama, so should this.

"Game Of Thrones" needs to step up their game! (Yes, pun intended.) Come on, this is HBO!

Haven't watched the latest 2 eps of "Camelot" yet but plan to. Still going to give it a shot to see if it gets better.

TheDenizen
I've read the first 3 books of A Song of Ice and Fire, Game of Thrones being the first book. I'm sceptical about how they can transform this into a TV series, there is a ton of stuff in there that they will no doubt gloss over or miss out as it is so packed with intrigue and sub plots, looking forward to seeing what they do with it none the less.

Same, I'm a big fan of the books and I was a little concerned that too much would be cut out to fit the HBO format. After viewing the first 4 episodes, I have to say I'm quite happy with how well they've done. Yes a ton of background and subtext has been glossed over, but there's definitely a sense of the epic scale in the story that Martin's prose usually brings out.

As for the lack of bloody action, just wait. Now that Ned Stark is in King's Landing and has been made The King's Hand, shit is about to pick up.

Hopefully this series will bring more fans to reading the books, which tell the same story but in such marvelously fleshed out detail that the comparisons to Tolkien are not at all out of place. Plus, if the books have more readers, Martin might actually feel compelled to finish the series before he dies. lol.

ShaOW!linDude

Watched the season finale last night of GOT.

Well.......wow. The action did pick up. It got better. But the last 3 - 4 eps of series did some major damage. I won't get specific but there are some key characters that get offed and me and the Mrs. were sitting there going: "What!?! No way! Now what's going to happen?" Now we have to wait a year. But the plot threads are great and the character development has been good as there are both plenty of folks to love and hate.

I also hung with "Camelot" through the end of its season. It actually picked up and got somewhat better. So, I'll probably tune in to it next year as well to see how it progresses.

GOT is still the better of the 2, I think.

Archived