The Grandmaster - is production hell worth it?

Improvisation

Improvisation

Wong Kar Wai's version of Ip Man, starring the supremely talented Tony Leung Chiu Wai, has been in production since 2008. IMDB says it's scheduled to release in 2012.

4 years!? I know filming was stopped for a while because Tony broke his arm while training with some wing chun masters, but this film is definitely the epitome of what you would call production hell.

In addition to Zhang Ziyi, Cung Le will also be in this movie, and I can't wait to see what he'll be doing fight-wise. Yuen Woo Ping will be doing the choreography. This film has a pretty big underground following - you can find news here: http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Here's a theory: because it has taken so long to come out, and it has piqued just enough interest to be an intriguing, dark horse, underground "where is this film?" type movie, then the production hell will be worth it. It may be one of the best martial arts films of all time! But - can the long wait validate that statement? Is production hell worth it?

tony-leung-grandmasters.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A long time could mean everybody's confused and there's a lack of direction or agreement. It can mean that it's so great. I really don't know. All I can say is that they F'ed up Bruce Lee real bad in the last film. I'm okay with focusing on story...but the story wasn't good. How can they make that crap knowing how great Dragon was with Jason Scott Lee??

Drunken Monk

With the talent that's on board, I'm certainly willing to wait this one out, despite how disappointing that wait actually is.

I'm interested to see what Yuen Woo Ping does when being guided by an incredible director such as Wong Kar Wai. I like to think he'll be more grounded and more focused, unlike the messy and, in my opinion, poorly choreographed "True Legend."

I do feel as though they've missed a trick with this production. They should have taken a page out of "The Lost Bladesman's" book and inundated us with behind the scenes featurettes and mini-documentaries. Right now we're all in the dark as to what this film will actually be.

I'm hoping, it will be the most accurate telling of his life.

Based on what I've read about the movie, I think it will be slightly more accurate but still fictionalized in most accounts.

emeraldforest

perhaps the opium is whats slowing everything down :angel:

Jesse Smooth
Based on what I've read about the movie, I think it will be slightly more accurate but still fictionalized in most accounts.

perhaps the opium is whats slowing everything down :angel:

I mean, there's been enough Mario Van Peebles-is BS history already with Bruce Lee and some with Ip Man (though I actually prefer THE LEGEND IS BORN to the two films with Donnie, Dennis To is the better Ip Man).

How can it be the most accurate if you don't have a great martial artist portraying him?

Jesse Smooth
How can it be the most accurate if you don't have a great martial artist portraying him?

I meant story wise/historically accurate. I see what you mean.

Guest Yi-Long

I'm not expecting a great martial arts movie.

I'm not expecting an accurate bio-pic.

I'm expecting a Wong Kar-Wai movie, with great acting, great visuals, great soundtrack, etc!

Ashes of Time was also 'production hell', and it brought us an amazing movie (till WKWK fucked it up with his Redux). Plus it bought us the quickly shot Chungking Express.

I'm not worried. It will come when it comes. And it has Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi, Song-Hye Gyo, music by Frankie Chan and direction by WKW. It will be worth watching.

I don't think it's necessary. Ip Man was slight in stature and Wing Chun is hardly a demanding martial art as far as physical agility is concerned. There's no doubt in my mind that Tony Leung has the ability to pull of the role of Ip Man and is obviously taking his training seriously as evidenced by his broken arm.

I'm not expecting a great martial arts movie.

I'm not expecting an accurate bio-pic.

I'm expecting a Wong Kar-Wai movie, with great acting, great visuals, great soundtrack, etc!

Ashes of Time was also 'production hell', and it brought us an amazing movie (till WKWK fucked it up with his Redux). Plus it bought us the quickly shot Chungking Express.

I'm not worried. It will come when it comes. And it has Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi, Song-Hye Gyo, music by Frankie Chan and direction by WKW. It will be worth watching.

This. Have to agree 99%. Although personally I quite like the redux of Ashes of Time.

I know four years is a long time, but doesn't WKW have a tendency to continuously change the script and such on the fly, constantly delaying releases and keeping people in the dark? It's kind of par for the course for him. I think they barely got a finished version of 2046 to Cannes for it's premiere because he was still tweaking it at the last minute. I'm still expecting a great film with this cast and crew.

Guest Yi-Long
I don't think it's necessary. Ip Man was slight in stature and Wing Chun is hardly a demanding martial art as far as physical agility is concerned. There's no doubt in my mind that Tony Leung has the ability to pull of the role of Ip Man and is obviously taking his training seriously as evidenced by his broken arm.

This. Have to agree 99%. Although personally I quite like the redux of Ashes of Time.

99% isn't good enough forme, so I'll have to make it 100% by adding the following statement:

The question wether 'Redux' is still fine and thus enjoyable, isn't the question that should be asked nor answered. Ofcourse it's still a pretty good movie and a work of art.

The question is IF the Redux is a BETTER cut than the 'original cut'.

I say no it isn't, which makes the whole new version a waste of time, effort, and has destroyed the original better version.

The original Ashes of Time already was the director's cut. There was a HK cut that was rushed, and after that WKW quickly fixed and altered some stuff and released the version they way he wanted to release it.

To do a Redux now years later mostly reeked of a lame attempt to get new press and hype for an old movie, hpoing to gain from the recent epic wuxia-hype that's been going on in asia and the west.

Redux a good movie? Sure. Better than the original version? Nope. That's all that matters.

Like other have mentioned, Wong Kar Wai's films have a long track record of going into production hell. When this and Donnie Yen's Ip Man were originally announced, I joked that I was looking forward more to Donnie's because it wouldn't take 4 years to come out. I didn't know I would be right.

I'm interested to see what Yuen Woo Ping does when being guided by an incredible director such as Wong Kar Wai. I like to think he'll be more grounded and more focused, unlike the messy and, in my opinion, poorly choreographed "True Legend."

I think you only have to look at what happens when WKW is combined with Sammo Hung. Result: incomprehensible mess.

I meant story wise/historically accurate. I see what you mean.

Cool. No fights to speak of, and spending most of his time womanising and smoking opium. Could be a great film...

99% isn't good enough forme, so I'll have to make it 100% by adding the following statement:

The question wether 'Redux' is still fine and thus enjoyable, isn't the question that should be asked nor answered. Ofcourse it's still a pretty good movie and a work of art.

The question is IF the Redux is a BETTER cut than the 'original cut'.

I say no it isn't, which makes the whole new version a waste of time, effort, and has destroyed the original better version.

The original Ashes of Time already was the director's cut. There was a HK cut that was rushed, and after that WKW quickly fixed and altered some stuff and released the version they way he wanted to release it.

To do a Redux now years later mostly reeked of a lame attempt to get new press and hype for an old movie, hpoing to gain from the recent epic wuxia-hype that's been going on in asia and the west.

Redux a good movie? Sure. Better than the original version? Nope. That's all that matters.

You have a good point. I guess its just the cleaned up print of the redux that is the allure. They should have released the original cut in a remastered edition but I read that the original negatives were not in a good shape so its possible that some scenese were unable to be restored? The print on the Mei Ah DVD really is awful.

I'll have to watch the original cut again to compare. It's been quite a few years.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I'd rather brush my teeth with wasabi, while being punched in the balls by a leprechaun, than watch Wong Kar Wai movies..... but that's just me......

I'd rather brush my teeth with wasabi, while being punched in the balls by a leprechaun, than watch Wong Kar Wai movies..... but that's just me......

I think they're a great compromise for watching with a girl. She can enjoy it as a romance and I can sneak some HK cinema in too.

Almost as good as eating or watching TV during sex when she's not looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHchl4AxsE0

Archived