No Mercy - 2009

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I just got through watching this movie and I'm still reeling from it! Wow, definitely one of the best Korean movies I've seen in a long time!

The movie is by first time director and screenwriter Kim Hyeong-joon-I, and features the excellent Seol Kyeong-gu (Public Enemy) & Ryoo Seung-beom (Crying Fist) on-screen together also for the first time, which was reason enough to watch it for me in the first place.

However while I expected the top quality performances from the two actors, what I didn't expect was such a well put together and strong story, which in the final 15 minutes will leave you feeling like you've been punched in the chest. It's a bloody, sweaty, graphic 2 hours of tension, Hyeong-joon-I is someone I'll be keeping my eye on for sure.

The actual structure of the movie has faint echoes of 'Insomnia', in that we have 2 protagonists, a fresh faced female cop, and what looks at first sight a simple murder case. However to say anymore would be to spoil the movie for anyone that hasn't seen it, and if you fall into that category, you should upgrade to seeing it as soon as possible!

All I will say about the ending is that it comes close to rivaling 'OldBoy' in terms of pure cruel revenge, ultimately it begs the question how much does it take to forgive and show mercy? The hint in this case lies in the title itself....

poster_no_mercy_05.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

I have this one sittin on my stacks, might have to put this one on the top of the must see pile!!!

I'll have to check it out! =D I already skipped a movie based on your guys' discussion (the one with the priest whose kid gets kidnapped)

As long as it has nothing to do with this:

One Armed Boxer
As long as it has nothing to do with this:

mpm74, man, where's your spoliler warning, it has everything to do with that....you just posted the final 4 minutes of the movie!

Like I said....feels like a punch in the chest doesn't it?:tongue:

I'll have to check it out! =D I already skipped a movie based on your guys' discussion (the one with the priest whose kid gets kidnapped)

Yeah, I have to file that one under 'regrettable buys'. I was actually tossing between going for 'Man of Vendetta' or 'Enemy at the Dead End', I should have gone for the later. Maybe I'll put it in when I next go for a swoop on some Korean movies.

I have this one sittin on my stacks, might have to put this one on the top of the must see pile!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker....yes please do! I'd love to hear somebody elses opinion of it as well!

OpiumKungFuCracker

SPOILER********* Don't read if not seen the movie!!!!!

Does the ending or the plot seemed a little too 'Oldboy?' I just finally saw this movie on Netflix the other day and can't help to think that this is a little too much oldboy but different execution, no???

I was shocked by the ending and completely didn't expect it. I thought it was well acted too. It's a must see - what a great job everyone in film did....

Laura

Archived