Cold Fish (2010)..woah!

sifu iron perm

sifu iron perm

I had a break from real sadistic flicks made with a vivid style such as Miike's films.

But Cold Fish reminded me of just that but with more polished directing and tough brutal acting all the way through..

This movie is around 2.5 hrs long and the pace is well worth the crazy and slap in the face last part of it all.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an excellent film, even if not quite on par with Sono's best movies. I'm working on a Sushi Typhoon write up, and should manage to cover Cold Fish next week. I will give some extra attention to the film's cultural and religious aspects.

Meanwhile, some posters

tsumenetta1.jpgtsumenetta2.jpg

tsumenetta3.jpg

sifu iron perm

nice one guys.

This one blew my head off, the on going banter with Murata and co..then 2 hrs later it just rips it all up!!

great fantastic film!

my review:

Sushi Typhoon – Part 5: Cold Fish

http://sketchesofcinema.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/sushi-typhoon-part-5-cold-fish/

cold-fish2.jpg

The Japanese DVD and Blu-Ray release date is August 2, 2011. It will include:

- Audio Commentary by Sion Sono and Yoshiki Takahashi

- Making Of documentary

- Premieres (Tokyo, Venice)

- Talk Event with Takashi Miike, Sion Sono and Mitsuru Fukikoshi

- Video Message from Yukio Murata (Denden's character name)

- Trailers and TV spots

- First press limitation: outer sleeve

tsumenebd.jpg Image62.jpg

This movie is around 2.5 hrs long and the pace is well worth the crazy and slap in the face last part of it all.

Isn't his previous, Love Exposure, supposed to be 4 hours, or something...? Have only seen his Suicide Club, and thought it had some incredible scenes, even if the whole thing didn't quite hold together (and the ending was... obscure).

Isn't his previous, Love Exposure, supposed to be 4 hours, or something...?

Yes, love Exposure is 3h 57 min. It's also possibly the best film of the entire decade. It was also voted by the readers of Midnight Eye as the best Japanese film of the decade, beating Battle Royale, Audition, and many others:

http://www.midnighteye.com/features/best-of-the-decade-poll.shtml

A few quotes:

"It’s too bad words like 'masterpiece' and 'epic' have been so overused by excitable film critics, because Sion Sono’s Love Exposure is an actual epic masterpiece that is going to dominate the filmscape for decades." - New York Asian Film Festival

“It’s an absolutely fantastic experience, so intense you’ll be still struggling to assimilate it all for days, nay weeks, after you’ve seen it... I saw this three times last year.” - Jasper Sharp (Midnight Eye film critic)

"It's a twistedly ambitious, gonzo indie epic. After the last frame of film, two words came to mind -- words that come only after movies with this much spirit...Bow down." - Jason Gray (film critic)

Also, if you check IMDb you can see people kinda like it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1128075/usercomments

(ok, IMDb is a crap reference, but this time they support my point :tongue: )

oh, right, we have a topic for it, too:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13962

It's a rather easy film, too, unlike Suicide Club, which takes quite a bit of knowledge of Japanese society and Japanese way of thinking before you can interpret it. Highest recommendation

Image61.jpg

BD Release Date: June 27th 2011

BD Specifications:

1080p High Definition Transfer, DTS-HD 5.1 Sound, Removable English Subtitles

BD Bonus Features:

Exclusive interview with journalist Jake Adelstein on the 'Saitama Dog Lovers Serial Murders' case, 2 Exclusive interviews with 'Cold Fish' scriptwriter Yoshiki Takahashi on the creation of both the film and original artwork, Theatrical trailer, Trailers of other Third Window releases

- http://thirdwindowfilms.com/films/cold-fish

Nice try Third Window, but if you're gonna release it with such terrible cover art and lacking extras (although they have some exclusive stuff), I think I'll go for the Japanese Blu-Ray instead.

Cold Fish US DVD Cover

51F22bNsPXL.jpg

August 23, 2011.

Lame cover + only DVD when both Happinet and Third Window Films are releasing BD...

OK I just finished watching this movie and all I can say it is Fucking Twsited, Brutal & Sick! But the storyline was excellent though!

I really liked this movie as well! Pretty dark and sick! The old guy in the movie might give that dude from I saw the Devil a run for the most twisted and sadistic character.

After seeing Cold Fish, I went to see Love Exposure by the same director. That was a 4 hr epic!

OK I just finished watching this movie and all I can say it is Fucking Twsited, Brutal & Sick! But the storyline was excellent though!

naturally the reference is to the original Straw Dogs, not the remake...

and concerns the original poster art by Takahashi, not the much inferior US dvd artwork that is based on it...

:angel:

strafish2.jpgstrafish1.jpg

naturally the reference is to the original Straw Dogs, not the remake...

and concerns the original poster art by Takahashi, not the much inferior US dvd artwork that is based on it...

:angel:

strafish2.jpgstrafish1.jpg

Yeah I know that, but I mean the U.S. DVD cover is more similar to the REMAKE of Straw Dogs then the original, just check with the reflection of the guy in the glasses, there the composition has a more striking ressemblance.

But the exact same reflection is also in the original Cold Fish poster, which was created in early 2010... that is, much before the Straw Dogs remake poster, I believe...

strafish2.jpg

(2010)

But the exact same reflection is also in the original Cold Fish poster, which was created in early 2010... that is, much before the Straw Dogs remake poster, I believe...

Yeah, I think you're right. I don't know when the Starw Dogs remake poster was made but I thought that this picture of Coldfish was created by the designer of that DVD cover.. I didnt't checked further at the time. Now it seems that he used both Japanese poster then, the one with the face and the one with the guy walking along those water tanks.

Is there a reason why the poster is a copy/hommage to Straw Dogs poster? Is there any relation in the movie? (I didn't see the movie).

Is there a reason why the poster is a copy/hommage to Straw Dogs poster? Is there any relation in the movie? (I didn't see the movie).

Yes. In both films the protagonist is a shy family man who faces major external pressure and slowly starts breaking.

That being said, I never really came to think about it before. Very few have, since almost no one has brought it up in reviews.

I don't think Cold Fish was necessarily inspired by Straw Dogs, though, as the film is a strong combination of true story and director Sono's trademark themes. The poster, however, is certainly a (fitting) homage to Straw Dogs.

(sidenote: the poster designer, Yoshiki Takahashi, is also the co-writer of the film. He has created posters for almost all of the new wave JP cult and splatter films, including The Machine Girl, Tokyo Gore Police, Samurai Princess, Alien vs. Ninja, Yakuza Weapon...)

Archived