Which is the best

Fanboy1991

Ive seen trailers for all of these films and have been intrigued. Which of these Shaw Brothers flicks is the best i'm looking to get one but could easily get them all if there wroth it.

The Jade Tiger

Soul of the Sword

Heroes Shed No Tears

Human Lanterns

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blood Sword

Jade tiger followed very closely by human lanterns.You should get both.Other 2 are nice too but not in same league.

Soul of the Sword is absolutely brilliant. The only bad thing about the film that comes to mind right now is Ti Lung's silly wig (though he can wear it with a great deal of dignity... How he manages it is beyond me)...

It is somewhat reminiscent of Chu Yuan's best works - but more coherent and much gloomier.

One of the best SB swordplays ever - and a very interesting precursor to new wave wuxia films, I think.

Yang Wu Liang

I agree with Cesare...Soul of the Sword is awesome, especially Ku Feng. Human lanterns stands out from all those though because of the horror element added to the wuxia, which works a charm!

Personally I'd put them in this order

Human Lanterns

Souls of the Sword

Jade Tiger

Heroes Shed No Tears

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

In order of achievement (spelling?)

Human Lanterns is an absolute masterpiece.

Soul Of The Sword is a very good film being carried by Ku Feng and Ti Lung.

Jade Tiger is a somewhat average wuxia Shaw's film, but with an excellent cast, Yueh Hua, Ku Feng, Ti Lung.

Heroes Shed No Tears is good too.

I'd pick all four films up actually and already have!

Blood Sword

Human Lanterns is an absolute masterpiece.

As interesting as that is, I did put it behind jade tiger because there is not that much fu-action in human lanterns.Storyline is good tho and I liked ending a lot.Though same can be said about finale of jade tiger which is one of rare movies where moral of power hunger and victory are put into perspective.Both are more "mature" movies.

I like Human Lanterns but it is overatted, its a below average horror film and a below average Fu film. There is no character to root for and whats worse is it focuses its plot mainly on Liu Yung's character who is the most uninteresting of the leads. U got CKT & Lo Lieh but all u get is an overdose of Liu Yung, :squigglemouth: I didnt like Pursuit of Vengeance as much as I could for the same reason, Liu Yung. :tongue: He's an ok actor but he doesn't match up well with a Ti Lung or CKT. Also Sun Chien again plays a 1 dimensional clueless constable, with that said the settings and art design is the real star of the film. Its an atmosphere that should of been used more.

Soul of the Sword I like a lot it has a sad end of an era feel to it. One of the few films that shows, not the glory but the tragedy of being the #1 swordsman.

Archived