Tiger on the Beat (1988)

OpiumKungFuCracker

Chinatown Kid

What do you guys think of the sequel with Danny Lee replacing Chow Yun Fat? I preferred the original, although Conan fighting barefoot on broken glass in part 2 was pretty cool. I own the HKL's disc with a nice commentary by Bey Logan. He talked about Conan having an unusual skill of being able to jump quite high and that his ego led to his downfall. I think he said yuen Woo Ping got fed up with his shit and had his character killed off in a film.

• Administrator
Killer poster indeed KFB. :nerd:

I wish that Gordon and Nina were featured a little more prominently, but it's still a favorite. I think that this and THE KILLER are the only Chow Yun-Fat films I have posters for.

Exactly. Actually, I got into Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan through documentaries and this made me get their movies. Otherwise, I was more into Kaiju Eiga films (more the Godzilla titles actually), swordplays like Detective Dee, Bruceploitations and movies directed by Godfrey Ho or someone assumed to be Godfrey Ho (IFD/Filmark/Asso Asia Ninja, kung fu... movies).

Actually my first Asian cinema/TV exposure was similar to yours. I first got a taste for "world cinema" via Ultra-Man, Speed Racer, Godzilla, Gamera, and other the other kaiju creatures. I've always especially enjoyed FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD (1965, Japan, aka. Frankenstein vs. Baragon) and WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS (1966, Japan). :nerd: (We should search for existing threads about these flicks and write some posts in there) Then around 15 I saw ENTER THE DRAGON... :bigsmile:

As for people like Sammo Hung, the Shaw Bros movies and a lot of other things... Thank you gals and guys from kungfucinema.com. :tongue:

:bigsmile: These guys are great for exposing fans to new stuff. I've discovered thousands of movies because of this forum.

What do you guys think of the sequel with Danny Lee replacing Chow Yun Fat? I preferred the original, although Conan fighting barefoot on broken glass in part 2 was pretty cool. I own the HKL's disc with a nice commentary by Bey Logan. He talked about Conan having an unusual skill of being able to jump quite high and that his ego led to his downfall. I think he said yuen Woo Ping got fed up with his shit and had his character killed off in a film.

When I first saw it I was like "What is this horseshit?! Where is Chow? Danny Lee is not a 'funny' actor- he's a serious cat!" Then it dawned on me that I'd felt the same way when I first saw Chow in the original, so I tried to be open-minded about it. :tongue: Though I don't think Danny has nearly the charisma and comedic timing of Chow, the sequel still turned out to be a lot of fun, and featured some great action too.

Yes, I had heard from several sources that, though talented, Conan's ego and self important attitude was the downfall of his Hong Kong career. Then he appeared on Facebook and I got to... uh, see it for myself. He was very nice to me and his fans, but... Let's just say that even there he managed to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

There were a lot of raised eyebrows when he posted a bunch of photos of himself posing with a plethora of legendary HK stars... taken at Lau Kar-Leung's funeral! :squigglemouth: Oh... :ooh:In poor taste was the general consensus. Especially as a few of the stars were obviously feeling deeply emotional about the passing of Pops, and did not look very happy about being photographed.

Recently he seems to have quieted down as far as posting there. But it may interest his fans to know that he still maintains his muscular physique.

• Administrator
I liked part two. It's worth watching for just this part alone...

watch?v=_lz7oFWn-Ao

I've heard two conflicting reports about this scene.

1. Conan did the stunt, and refused to heed the advice of the stunt choreographer to hold on with both hands. Supposedly he stated that he wanted to do it with more flair (Rumor has it that he felt that he was bigger and better looking than, and could do anything Jackie Chan could do. :ooh:), and decided he could do the stunt using only one hand, insisting that he was strong enough that this would not be a problem. He fell, injured his tail-bone/lower spine, and had to be hospitalized, which held up filming, and caused the filmmakers to re-write some scenes, cutting his character's stuff back.

2. That because of his insistence that he would not do the stunt the way that the stunt choreographer wanted him to, a stunt double was used instead. Unfortunately the stunt double failed the stunt and was injured.

Either way- OUCH! That looks extremely painful.

Anybody know the actual facts about this incident?

ShaOW!linDude

Hmmm. For some reason I was thinking Conan's fall was in the first TOB.

There is some MA in the first one though, right?

• Administrator
Hmmm. For some reason I was thinking Conan's fall was in the first TOB.

The fall is definitely in part 2, but I seem to remember Bey Logan talking about that stunt during his audio commentary on the first film film.

There is some MA in the first one though, right?

It's not a martial arts heavy film for the first hour. Remember, Chow is not a martial artist (can you picture the scene in THE KILLER where he beats up the guys with the garbage can? :tongue:). But as it's directed by Pops, you can bet that whenever there is a brief exchange during this time, it's still expertly executed action. During the last half hour there's a plenty of fighting, with Conan looking fantastic and thoroughly committed, including the famous chainsaw duel he has with Gordon Liu. Speaking of which, Gordon is superb as the vicious henchman in this!

ShaOW!linDude

Ah, cool beans. Thanks for the reassurance. I knew Chow wasn't a martial artist but was hoping that wouldn't cramp the action style of the film with Conan Lee being in it. And I was unaware that Pops directed this. And a chainsaw duel with Gordon Liu? Sheesh, the only this film appears to be missing is an appearance with Sammo doing a dance number. (I love when he does those btw.)

My favorite scene? The chainsaw duel between Conan Lee and Gordon Liu...it made Dennis Hopper and Bill Johnson's duel in Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 look like child's play.

I think I need to see TCM2 now. Loved the first one but was always hesitant of watching the sequel due to negative reviews.

I think he said Yuen Woo Ping got fed up with his shit and had his character killed off in a film.

As far as I know, Woo Ping never worked with him. Sure sounds like Lau Kar-Leung though.

There were a lot of raised eyebrows when he posted a bunch of photos of himself posing with a plethora of legendary HK stars... taken at Lau Kar-Leung's funeral! :squigglemouth: Oh... :ooh:In poor taste was the general consensus. Especially as a few of the stars were obviously feeling deeply emotional about the passing of Pops, and did not look very happy about being photographed.

I always get amused whenever I see that picture he took with Donnie. There he was standing beside someone he talked crap about several times on youtube when his account was still existing. Wonder how things would've turned out if Donnie knew all about that.

I think it was Philip Ko, not YWP. Something to the effect of an argument that may have pushed things a little too far (or maybe Conan was just being full of himself). Philip Ko got fed up, Conan left the set/was fired. Philip Ko had Conan's character get blown up by a car bomb.

The film may have been Fury in Red?

Chinatown Kid

Your exactly right Asmo now that I remember correctly. It was either the film you mentioned or Cypress Tigers but it was Ko that got pissed.

• Administrator
Ah, cool beans. Thanks for the reassurance. I knew Chow wasn't a martial artist but was hoping that wouldn't cramp the action style of the film with Conan Lee being in it.

Chow does this one cool move late in the film that made the whole audience cheer. I won't spoil it for you. It's really just a little flourish, but he does it so smooth. Knowing Pops, he probably made Chow do it three hundred times until he got it just right. :bigsmile:

And I was unaware that Pops directed this. And a chainsaw duel with Gordon Liu? Sheesh, the only this film appears to be missing is an appearance with Sammo doing a dance number. (I love when he does those btw.)

Yeah man, you're going to enjoy it. There are a few other familiar faces popping up in bit parts too.

And did I mention Nina Li is in it? Hubba hubba! :bigsmile:

I'm a sucker for Sammo's hi-jinks too. Can't believe you haven't seen DRAGONS FOREVER yet! You must promise to post your thoughts about it after watching it! Mini review??? The Fat Dragon is in top form in this comedy-wise, though he doesn't do a lot of fighting in it. Guaranteed laugh out loud moments in this though.

I think I need to see TCM2 now. Loved the first one but was always hesitant of watching the sequel due to negative reviews.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 is one of only a few films I've ever walked out on. Even though I'm a huge fan of the original, and love the insane antics of Dennis Hopper, I just found this film to be utter bullshit. Years later a friend convinced me to watch it again as a tongue-firmly-in-cheek classic. It was slightly more amusing than when I originally "hated it"... But, I would not waste my time on it if I were you DiP.

As far as I know, Woo Ping never worked with him. Sure sounds like Lau Kar-Leung though.

I don't recall hearing that Lau Sifu had complained about him. Of course, it's possible Conan knew better than to act up around him?

I always get amused whenever I see that picture he took with Donnie. There he was standing beside someone he talked crap about several times on youtube when his account was still existing. Wonder how things would've turned out if Donnie knew all about that.

Oh... ouch. :crossedlips: Awkward!

I think it was Philip Ko, not YWP. Something to the effect of an argument that may have pushed things a little too far (or maybe Conan was just being full of himself). Philip Ko got fed up, Conan left the set/was fired. Philip Ko had Conan's character get blown up by a car bomb.

The film may have been Fury in Red?

Your exactly right Asmo now that I remember correctly. It was either the film you mentioned or Cypress Tigers but it was Ko that got pissed.

That sounds familiar. Most likely if there was an incident between Phillip Ko and Conan, it happened on FURY IN RED (1991), not during the earlier production of CYPRESS TIGERS (1990). I doubt that if it had occurred during their first collaboration that they would have worked together again.

ShaOW!linDude
And did I mention Nina Li is in it? Hubba hubba! :bigsmile:

I'm a sucker for Sammo's hi-jinks too. Can't believe you haven't seen DRAGONS FOREVER yet! You must promise to post your thoughts about it after watching it! Mini review??? The Fat Dragon is in top form in this comedy-wise, though he doesn't do a lot of fighting in it. Guaranteed laugh out loud moments in this though.

Love Nina Li. She is gorgeous. (Hope her hair ain't all whacked off.)

Now I have seen DRAGONS FOREVER but it was about 12 yrs ago on Spike TV. I've never been able to find a dvd copy that wasn't a small fortune. We used to have a Suncoast store here. They had a copy for $30-35 bucks. Never could bring myself to come off that much money when I could score 2-3 dvds for that price. When I heard they were closing the store, I made a beeline to it, thinking this is the perfect time to grab that. Nope. Gone. Story of my life.:cry:

Dennis Hopper admitted he did not like making the film and in retrospect, Tobe Hooper only did the film as part of his three-picture deal with Cannon. He was disappointed with Cannon and it was mentioned that he purposely made the sequel more of a "black comedy" with horror quality.

However, I have to admit, the only reason why I visit TCM2 on occasional is Bill Moseley. He plays Chop-Top, Leatherface's brother. During the first film's events, he was serving in Vietnam. When you see him, he has an exposed metal plate on his head and he's carrying around the dead corpse of the hitchhiker.

The chainsaw duel between Hopper and Bill Johnson (playing Leatherface) is pretty nutty because Hopper is armed with one chainsaw and two six-shooter chainsaws as well.

I'll save everyone the trouble...here is the chainsaw duel between Dennis Hopper and Bill Johnson

Xgeb81bPj58

Secret Executioner

That scene was crazy indeed (loved it). :tongue:

Never saw this one nor the first one, but I guess I should give them a try. Apparently, the remake isn't that great though. :squigglemouth:

Nina Li Chi gets some horrible abuse in this film, I hate watching that scene where Chow Yun Fat's character is hitting her and stuffs that white powder in her face then drags her to the bathroom by her hair. Love the movie as a whole though. It's been a few years seen I watched it, indeed i last watched it when HKL released it and before that I had the MIHK VHS, saw it many times on VHS back in the day- Hehe, as I type this I am picturing the gay gwailo in the movie who sniffs the bag of white powder and sneezes when he realizes it's not drugs.

• Administrator
Now I have seen DRAGONS FOREVER but it was about 12 yrs ago on Spike TV.

Okay, good. :nerd:

I've never been able to find a dvd copy that wasn't a small fortune. We used to have a Suncoast store here. They had a copy for $30-35 bucks. Never could bring myself to come off that much money when I could score 2-3 dvds for that price. When I heard they were closing the store, I made a beeline to it, thinking this is the perfect time to grab that. Nope. Gone. Story of my life.:cry:

That's always the way, isn't it? :squigglemouth:

Dennis Hopper admitted he did not like making the film and in retrospect, Tobe Hooper only did the film as part of his three-picture deal with Cannon. He was disappointed with Cannon and it was mentioned that he purposely made the sequel more of a "black comedy" with horror quality.

Damn! Even Dennis "I'll make an appearance in a matchbook for a buck" Hopper wasn't pleased with it?! :tongue: Dennis has been both brilliant, and also nearly worthless in a ridiculous amount of films over the years. I thought he did fine in this with what he was given, but... I hated what he was given.

However, I have to admit, the only reason why I visit TCM2 on occasional is Bill Moseley. He plays Chop-Top, Leatherface's brother. During the first film's events, he was serving in Vietnam. When you see him, he has an exposed metal plate on his head and he's carrying around the dead corpse of the hitchhiker.

IMO Moseley's performance in the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was flawless. But I couldn't stand him in this.

The chainsaw duel between Hopper and Bill Johnson (playing Leatherface) is pretty nutty because Hopper is armed with one chainsaw and two six-shooter chainsaws as well.

I'll save everyone the trouble...here is the chainsaw duel between Dennis Hopper and Bill Johnson

That was epic nice of you to save them from watching the whole film! :xd:

That scene was crazy indeed (loved it). :tongue:

Never saw this one nor the first one, but I guess I should give them a try. Apparently, the remake isn't that great though. :squigglemouth:

The remake is dead to me. :neutral: LOL The original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is still terrifying after all these years (40!)

How to subtly get this thread back on track?:angel: Hmmm... Oh, I know! :smile: If I could've, I would've sent Conan Lee back in time with a chainsaw to destroy all the prints of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 before anyone had to waste their time watching it. :wink:

Nina Li Chi gets some horrible abuse in this film, I hate watching that scene where Chow Yun Fat's character is hitting her and stuffs that white powder in her face then drags her to the bathroom by her hair. Love the movie as a whole though.

True. That scene is terrible! So nasty.

It's been a few years seen I watched it, indeed i last watched it when HKL released it and before that I had the MIHK VHS, saw it many times on VHS back in the day-

Whoa! Long time man. Sounds like you're due for another watch. :nerd:

Hehe, as I type this I am picturing the gay gwailo in the movie who sniffs the bag of white powder and sneezes when he realizes it's not drugs.

:xd:

So we don't go too off topic about Tiger on the Beat and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I'm just going to start a new thread on the whole TCM series.

Anyway, I loved Chow in the film and Conan Lee did well. Yes, he was somewhat arrogant from what I read. I think despite taking the photos with Donnie Yen at Lau Kar-Leung's funeral, from seeing some of his FB posts, I think he either has or slowly is learning from his mistakes of the past. Well, in the meantime, I love Tiger on the Beat...we have the original VHS copy at my job :D

Can anyone tell me whether the HKL DVD has a good soundtrack with original foley F/X? I seem to remember the Universe DVD having a garbage soundtrack, and I'm hoping the HKL is better; if so, I'll track down a used copy, otherwise I might just stick with my ancient LD.

David Rees

Don't forget the HK Blu ray, its one of the few that is true HD even though a lot of digital noise reduction has been used. Didnt notice any new added sound effects but will recheck it later.

The soundtrack on the HKL DVD is superior. All 5 channels in use without those newly added effects Fortune Star later implemented for their restored prints. However, the non-remastered Joy Sales DVD has the original mono soundtrack. If someone could make a custom and upload it at ADC, that would be great.

I'm fine with HKL 5.1 if it utilizes the original foley F/X and not the Fortune Star shit. Fortune Star needs to be dispossessed of all their film elements and holdings as a penalty for grievous crimes against the art of cinema.

EDIT: And...I just scored a nice used copy of the HKL DVD on ebay for $25 shipped. I love this film so much, and haven't watched it since I last spun up my old LD many years ago. Thanks for the info DiP!!!

Cognoscente

Every time I see Conan Lee in this movie, I can't help but think he looks like a buffed-up Wong Yue.

• Like 2