Tiger on the Beat (1988)

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Ok, I'm curious about this one scene where he's drinking raw eggs at a restaurant and then he had another drink right after it.. What was it, soy milk???

8889.jpg

yOfSJ7qUPUc&feature=related

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yeah, just downed two raw eggs freshly cold from the fridge... I'm fully energize now, not afraid of salmonella.. It can't be worse than smoking Cigarette ....

Yeah, just downed two raw eggs freshly cold from the fridge... I'm fully energize now, not afraid of salmonella.. It can't be worse than smoking Cigarette ....

if it had salmonella its definitely worse than cigarettes. Could well kill you in however many hours/days it takes. As you know cigarettes take years before its ill-effects are truly felt.

Anyway salmonella or otherwise I couldn't bring myself to drink raw eggs. The thought of it just makes me gag. Doesn't Stallone do that in Rocky ?

Son Of A Gun

Yep, in Rocky 1 and 6 for sure. Possibly Rocky 2 aswell. Chow Yun Fat says "Stallone does it" in Tiger on Beat during that scene.

I've seen a clip of a comedy movie recently where some guy drinks cooked eggs before training.'lol I can't remember what it's from though.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Who's the actor that did the voice over for Chow Yun Fat's character?? It is awesome, The english dubbing in this movie is fantastic and hilarious, gotta find a list of movies these particular english actors have been in...

I am sad to say this but, where can I find a decent widescreen copy of this movie?

I know I sound amateurish, but I am to this forum. My only copy is an old Tai Seng VHS thats had its days....

The Hong Kong Legends release is quite good, if you're in the US of A, you might want to check if Dragon Dynasty released it.

I am sad to say this but, where can I find a decent widescreen copy of this movie?

I know I sound amateurish, but I am to this forum. My only copy is an old Tai Seng VHS thats had its days....

Phoenix is right. Go for the HKL. If you can't find it, but can find the Zoke version it's just a Chinese (legit) copy of the HKL.

make believe

Oh and I wouldn't have a problem drinking a couple of raw eggs if I knew what benefits there were to it and if it would be worth it.

Oh and I wouldn't have a problem drinking a couple of raw eggs if I knew what benefits there were to it and if it would be worth it.

I'm just guessing but I would guess the benefit from drinking raw eggs is to absorb more of the nutrients. It's perhaps also a quick way of getting a lot of protein into the body.

Son Of A Gun

There are much better ways of getting alot more protein in one go. Plus, aren't the egg yolks bad for colesterol.

And from what an old veteran bodybuilder told me, it's best to cook the eggs for a few seconds to activate the vitamins/minerals.

• Administrator

This film was brought up in a different thread, and I was just going to make a quick comment there. But I wound up waxing poetic about how many different elements of HK cinema it introduced me to, and wrote a bunch of stuff. I realized it should be in a TIGER ON THE BEAT thread, so I'm plopping it in down here. :bigsmile:

I'm just guessing but I would guess the benefit from drinking raw eggs is to absorb more of the nutrients. It's perhaps also a quick way of getting a lot of protein into the body.

It was considered a fast way to load up on protein before working out. In 1977 this was cutting edge shit! LOL My Dad took me to see this in the theater, and everyone groaned in disgust when Rocky drank the raw eggs.

Obviously we know a whole lot more now about health, and this is not a recommended technique. :tongue:

I had this friend that turned me on to modern Hong Kong action (long ago...), and he and I (and typically a few other friends) would go to see 35mm screenings together. He had already seen most of the films via Chinatown video rentals, but they were all new to me.

When we went to see TIGER ON THE BEAT (or TIGER ON BEAT as it's often called. :wink:), it was right after I had been introduced to Chow Yun-Fat via THE KILLER, and A BETTER TOMORROW 1 and 2, and I was thrilled that we seeing another film that this cool Chinese guy starred in. But as the lights went down, my friend turned to me with a sly grin and said "Wait 'til you see this! You're not going to believe what you're seeing." I assumed that he meant it was going to kick ass even more than Chow's other films. But five minutes in Chow was peeing himself and quaking with fear. :ooh: Stupefied by what I was seeing, I turned to him and he was grinning ear to ear and nodding "Great, huh?" :neutral: Uh, no. Why was "The Killer" acting like a buffoon?! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Fortunately, after my initial shock I quickly warmed to the film, and soon I was laughing along with the rest of the (mostly Chinese) audience. Believe it or not, at the time I only knew Ti Lung from A BETTER TOMORROW! Strange now to think that I was introduced to him in Woo's films before I had ever seen him in a Shaw Brothers film. :smile: Still, when he appeared in his cameo as the bar owner I was happy to see him, and I thought that his quick match with Conan Lee was a blast.

Then there was Nina Li... :bigsmile: Be still my beating heart!

Since TIGER was one of the first HK comedies I'd seen (my buddy was lending me a constant supply of action and martial arts stuff) I didn't know what I was in for. I settled into the fact that I was watching a comedy with a few bits of action, clueless about HK cinema's tendency toward extremely schizophrenic shifts in tone. So when the shotguns, hand cannons, bayonet, and... chainsaws :smile: came into play at the films climax, I was stunned in the most wonderful way! That ending caught me completely off-gaurd, and rocked my world.

I think this was around 1989 or 1990 that I saw this. Up until then, I had collected all of the US martial arts films (Billy Jack films, Chuck Norris, Sho Kosugi), the Bruce Lee movies, THE CHALLENGE (with Scott Glenn), SEVEN SAMURAI, Sonny Chiba stuff, KILL OR BE KILLED and KILL AND KILL AGAIN, SHOGUN ASSASSIN, all of the uncut Lone Wolf and Cub films (which were from 4th generation Japanese VHS, and were uncut and letterboxed, but extremely dark and lacking subtitles), and some of the Zatoichi films.

I had also stumbled upon copies of SHAOLIN EXECUTIONER (1977, aka. Executioners of Death; Executioners of Shaolin), CHINATOWN KID (1977), CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS (1976) and CHINESE SUPER NINJAS (1982, aka. Super Ninjas; Five Element Ninjas). Unlike a lot of other East Coast kung fu fans, I didn't grow up watching Black Belt theater. I had caught FIVE DEADLY VENOMS (1978, aka. The Five Venoms; The Deadly Venoms; Shaolin Deadly Venoms) on TV once, but back then my idiot box time was always spent watching Creature Double Feature, and anything horror, science fiction, and fantasy.

At the time I collected those first few Shaw Brothers films, I didn't even know that they were all from the same company (most of them were missing the opening SB credit), nor would it have meant anything to me if I had known.

So strange as it is to say it now- I saw Gordon Liu in TIGER ON THE BEAT before I had seen THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN! :tongue: I hadn't recognized him as the star of CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS, but when I asked "Who was that crazy bad guy with the chainsaw? Is he in other stuff?" my friend pointed out that I'd seen him before, and laughed "Uh, yeah. He's been in a few things." :xd:

I also found out that the same director- Liu Chi-Liang (as I knew him back then)- that made TIGER ON THE BEAT had also directed CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS, and SHAOLIN EXECUTIONER, and played the villain in CHALLENGE, all of which was hard to wrap my mind around.

I remember thinking "Hmmm... maybe I should see more of this guy's films?" :angel:

My favorite scene? The chainsaw duel between Conan Lee and Gordon Liu...it made Dennis Hopper and Bill Johnson's duel in Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 look like child's play.

• Administrator
My favorite scene? The chainsaw duel between Conan Lee and Gordon Liu...it made Dennis Hopper and Bill Johnson's duel in Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 look like child's play.

So true Albert! It's one of those scenes that you know is going to be cool because you've already seen it, but that you're still a little surprised by when you re-watch it.

Also, the string & shotgun trick that Chow uses to shoot around corners was wild! I owe a big thanks to this film. To this day, every time I storm an old warehouse full of thugs I still use that trick. Always works like a charm. :wink:

Secret Executioner

That story Kung Fu Bob is very nice. And I can somewhat relate to that, as I used to be a big horror/science-fiction fan before turning to MA/Asian cinema. When I started getting into Asian movies, I would hesitate and usually try and seek informations on the film before buying a DVD. Nowadays, I buy pretty much any DVD that's an Asian movie and I have grown a certain knowledge of actors and directors so I kinda know what to expect - it's especially true when it comes to MA cinema (thanks to this forum I must say). :tongue:

• Administrator
That story Kung Fu Bob is very nice. And I can somewhat relate to that, as I used to be a big horror/science-fiction fan before turning to MA/Asian cinema. When I started getting into Asian movies, I would hesitate and usually try and seek informations on the film before buying a DVD. Nowadays, I buy pretty much any DVD that's an Asian movie and I have grown a certain knowledge of actors and directors so I kinda know what to expect - it's especially true when it comes to MA cinema (thanks to this forum I must say). :tongue:

Right on.

It's always interesting asking other Asian cinema fans how they branched out as they got into it. Like after seeing DRUNKEN MASTER they searched for more films with Jackie Chan. This led them to DRAGONS FOREVER, which caused them to search for more Sammo movies and Yuen Biao movies, etc. Some search by directors, some action choreographers, some by stars...

• Administrator

Check out this TIGER ON THE BEAT Thai theatrical poster. I love this one, and thought you guys would too.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz126/KUNGFUBOB/tigeronthebeat11_zpscf28a2c8.jpg' alt='tigeronthebeat11_zpscf28a2c8.jpg'>

Secret Executioner

Killer poster indeed KFB. :nerd:

Right on.

It's always interesting asking other Asian cinema fans how they branched out as they got into it. Like after seeing DRUNKEN MASTER they searched for more films with Jackie Chan. This led them to DRAGONS FOREVER, which caused them to search for more Sammo movies and Yuen Biao movies, etc. Some search by directors, some action choreographers, some by stars...

Exactly. Actually, I got into Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan through documentaries and this made me get their movies. Otherwise, I was more into Kaiju Eiga films (more the Godzilla titles actually), swordplays like Detective Dee, Bruceploitations and movies directed by Godfrey Ho or someone assumed to be Godfrey Ho (IFD/Filmark/Asso Asia Ninja, kung fu... movies).

As for people like Sammo Hung, the Shaw Bros movies and a lot of other things... Thank you gals and guys from kungfucinema.com. :tongue: