The Club [1981] Chan Wai Man

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Wow, just wow is all I can say.. As for those exotic dancers, did they come from a Benny Hill Angels audition?? I wanna know where he got that inflatable punching bag with the c02 tank, awesome!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odioustrident

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• The Dragon

• TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, that's a badass movie! CWM is awesome!

Here's a short review I once wrote....

THE CLUB- 1981

Ok, let me start by pointing out the obvious; Chan Wai Man is bad ass. He ranks about an 11 on the badass-o-meter, and it only goes to 10. In short, this guy is the real deal. And when he says that this is the most realistic triad movie ever made, you damn well better believe him. Because first, he knows what he’s talking about, and second, if you don’t, he’ll come to your house and kick your ass. Now, with that out of the way, some praise should also rightly befall director, Kirk Wong. He really captures the dark underbelly of early 80’s Hong Kong, with a gritty realism, seldom seen at this time. And exposes us to the seedy side of the glitzy HK nightlife, the men who run it, and the women who work there. These aren’t cartoon variety triads, flying through the air, wielding double 45’s, or doing triple spin kicks. These guys solve their problems with brutal beatings, bats, pipes, choppers, and the occassional outboard motor. There isn’t much in the way of stylized action here. Chan Wai Man did the choreo, and it is pretty much straight up street violence. Ugly and bloody, just like in real life. And speaking of realism, you probably couldn’t find a bigger stink of authenticity than Chan Wai Man. Besides being cooler than a polarbear’s nutsack, and a pretty decent actor, he also worked as a consultant here, giving the movie its street real ambience and stamp of approval. And that’s from a man who knows this world intimately. There are a lot of familiar faces in here, some more prevalent than others. The great Tsui Siu Keung has a cool stint as Chan’s dapper triad brother. Kent Cheng gives a nice performance as the loyal club manager, and Fong Yau is also convincing as the benevolent boss. Then you have Philip Ko Fei, Kwan Yung Moon, Wilson Tong and other usual suspects from the school of badguys, dispersed throughout, in supporting roles. The Club is no masterpiece, by any means. But the movie’s dark, neon lit visuals, crooked characters and visceral violence, set to bad disco music and cold syntethized themes, is still enough for me to label this a classic HK gangster film. It set the tone for many movies of the genre to come, and deserves more recognizion, than it has gotten. Next time you’re in the mood for a twisted triad tale, check it out. It is well worth it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I love the the blurp on the front cover... that always puts a smile on my face!

No humble pie for that guy!

Ok, let me start by pointing out the obvious; Chan Wai Man is bad ass.

He ranks about an 11 on the badass-o-meter, and it only goes to 10. In short, this guy is the real deal.

Co-sign on that!

Anyone have the uncut version on DVD-R?

What's the length? I have this somewhere on VHS I think but no idea of length.

Some pix from Cinemart (1981)

club2.jpg

club1.jpg

club3.jpg

..props to Carol

Shaolivevil

Great film. This film doesn't seem to get mentioned much these days when people talk of Hong Kong gangster films for some reason but this movie is very important to the genre and a MUST if you love HK gangster films, or gangster films in general. This is as hardcore and real as it gets. I remember my father renting the Ocean Shores VHS back in the 80's and I could never forget seeing this bad ass tattooed Chinese dude beating up and cutting up all those who got in his way.

I would love to get a copy of this on DVD...

Guest Markgway
What's the length? I have this somewhere on VHS I think but no idea of length.

I would guess about 90m NTSC? I don't know exactly.

The Eastern Heroes (UK) tape is the cut version, but I've heard that Ocean Shores did put out an uncut tape. If it helps it seems that one of the scenes cut is set in a nightclub and Fleetwood Mac's Tusk is playing on the soundtrack. If your version has that scene it should be intact. Having not seen it I can't be absolutely sure.

odioustrident

The Ocean Shores dubbed vhs is cut. There is an Ocean Shores (?) vcd release that is subbed uncut. Would like to get my hands on that as well.

Guest Markgway
The Ocean Shores dubbed vhs is cut. There is an Ocean Shores (?) vcd release that is subbed uncut. Would like to get my hands on that as well.

Sorry I thought it was a VHS.

Buy yeah if anyone has it they can expect a few trades as it's hard to find.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I would guess about 90m NTSC? I don't know exactly.

The Eastern Heroes (UK) tape is the cut version, but I've heard that Ocean Shores did put out an uncut tape. If it helps it seems that one of the scenes cut is set in a nightclub and Fleetwood Mac's Tusk is playing on the soundtrack. If your version has that scene it should be intact. Having not seen it I can't be absolutely sure.

Yep, that's the version I have and I'm no expert in knowing if it's cut or not but That's the version I have... That's the scene where the Benny Hill's Angel lookalike dancers are flossing their kaboos butt naked, lol... If you guys think it's the uncut version, I'll trade with yah!!!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Chan Wai Man one of the greats no doubt.

I found this clip when I looked up his name on you tube.

What is this from? Looks like a TV series.

Cliff Lok and I noticed Lilly in this one.

GD Y-Y

I would not want to be his punching bag. LOL

odioustrident

Chan Wai Man one of the greats no doubt.

I found this clip when I looked up his name on you tube.

What is this from? Looks like a TV series.

Cliff Lok and I noticed Lilly in this one.

Blood Debt or Bloody Debt.

Sorry I thought it was a VHS.

Buy yeah if anyone has it they can expect a few trades as it's hard to find.

I'm going on hearsay about the vcd never seen it.

There may be an uncut Ocean Shores vhs out there as well, if only someone had a complete list of their releases! Rtf600 has been awesomely diligent working on one.

I think houndslow might have had a copy of the vcd thats the only time I've heard of it.

... Chan Wai Man one of the greats no doubt.

Um1WjifPt7s&feature=grec_index

I would not want to be his punching bag. LOL

Yawn...

:angel:

BluUhcEvPtI

:bigsmile:

Guest Markgway

Found these posts at the HKMDB...

"I saw this one many, many moons ago when Eastern Heroes released it on VHS in the UK....However, the EH tape was inadvertedly cut (they had an option to go with a widescreen Mandarin version, or a fullscreen Cantonese [original language] edition; they went the Cantonese option). The master they were supplied was trimmed of all its brief sexual content and nudity -- a sequence in a strip-club was completely removed (which probably had more to do with the unlicenced use of Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" than anything else); the violence, some quite graphic, was intact however....Years later, in the dusty back corner of a local (Perth, Western Australia) Chinatown video outlet I found the uncut version...in Cantonese no less (so an uncensored Cantonese print does, or did, exist)!"

"It's still the UK Eastern Heroes tape...and it's still the cut version (which is missing around 4m of footage). EH, like a lot of UK distributors, could get away with advertising films as "uncut" because when a film is pre-cut, or simply missing footage as THE CLUB was, before censorship submission and is passed without further cuts upon submission then "technically" under British law the film is "uncut". Fact of the matter was -- the film on the EH tapes was cut in every version they released. They never got a hold of the uncut print. The only uncut version I ever saw, I think, was put out by Ocean Shores (?) on VHS literally donkey's years ago..."

odioustrident
Yawn...

:angel:

BluUhcEvPtI

:bigsmile:

Bruce can't keep his bag straight? Thought that was rule number one. That punch that swings the bag early in the video just looks so amateur, but I'm sure he knew what he was going for.

Non-traditional use of the bag for a non-traditional guy?

robertobobson

Recently acquired the Eastern Heroes VHS, with ludicrous cover quote. A few of the 'cut' scenes were spliced in after the end of the movie, without audio...

What are the other music tracks in this? There are a few I recognised, but couldn't place. Loved the soundtrack to this movie.

Bruce can't keep his bag straight? Thought that was rule number one. That punch that swings the bag early in the video just looks so amateur, but I'm sure he knew what he was going for.

As a boxing coach, I'd say there are wrong techniques on display by both men...

However, I will say I like CWM's display of speed, and Bruce's display of power. CWM seemed to have a combination set he appeared to be following. Bruce was doing what punchers do; following through on a strike where if the bag moved, he punched with the movement, following through with consecutive punches in combination. He appeared a bit off balance as a result, and was punching higher, as if he were imagining a taller opponent.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I don't think it was that bad... He wasn't using any boxing gloves or wraps maybe that made it an awkward viewing.. I can tell you one thing though, he would kick my ass and my whole family tree if I were to ever cross path with the dragon.. Of course it's just my honest opinion and I ride on that Lee nut express pretty hard, hahahah...

What I'm really tired of is all those stupid ass comments on youtube, man I wish I can see their faces and just punch them endlessly....

kungfusamurai

You can't compare a movie clip of a guy punching a bag versus Bruce Lee actually punching the bag. For all we know, the bag Chan Wai Man was punching was full of feathers. He certainly wasn't touch it very hard. Bruce on the other hand was punching through it, and like was said, he was going after a taller opponent. If you want speed, you use a speed bag. :)

KFS

odioustrident
You can't compare a movie clip of a guy punching a bag versus Bruce Lee actually punching the bag. For all we know, the bag Chan Wai Man was punching was full of feathers. He certainly wasn't touch it very hard. Bruce on the other hand was punching through it, and like was said, he was going after a taller opponent. If you want speed, you use a speed bag. :)

KFS

I thought the bag Bruce was punching looked extremely light. Maybe he just made it look light. Either way you can see the power there.

Also, I'm talking about the fourth punch in the video, not the later ones. If he was fighting a taller opponent I don't think that would make a solid connection. It looked sloppy to me, but we have only so much footage to judge the guy on.

I thought the bag Bruce was punching looked extremely light. Maybe he just made it look light. Either way you can see the power there.

He used several bags filled with various materials according to Cobourn; rags, sand, metal pellets... The various weights gave indication of how he was able to increase power.

Also, I'm talking about the fourth punch in the video, not the later ones. If he was fighting a taller opponent I don't think that would make a solid connection. It looked sloppy to me, but we have only so much footage to judge the guy on.

The idea of taller opponents I stressed simply because this video is from when he was in the U.S., and most of his American counterparts were of larger stature than he. It makes relative sense... That wasn't a shot in the dark.