Shaolin (2011) DVD and Blu Ray 20th April

David Rees

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingofkungfu2002
Nice pick :wink:

I'll be double-dipping on this one anyway when CineAsia release it in the UK :smile:

make believe

Does anyone know the "right" language for this, assuming these is even one. Some sites list it as Mandarin and others as Cantonese. I know this was a crossover in terms of productions so maybe there really isn't one?

I'm thinking about buying the VCD now and waiting for the Blu-Ray Region A price to drop.... being cheap is such a burden.

Guest WuxiaFan
Yes Asia has the excellent film Shaolin up for pre-order on dvd and blu ray for April 20th. Region 3 for the dvd, not sure about the Blu ray yet.

Must buy for me!!

SHAOLIN DVD AND BLU RAY YES ASIA

Are you buying DVD or BR? Do you know if the HK 2-Disc version has English subs on the disc 2 special features? :smile:

I will buy the BR, but most dvds have subs on the extra's , email ddd house and they can probably tell you once its out...

Guest WuxiaFan
I will buy the BR, but most dvds have subs on the extra's , email ddd house and they can probably tell you once its out...

Just got this from DDDHouse TODAY on the 2-Disc DVD of SHAOLIN:

No english subtitle in special features.

Regards

Johnny

THAT'S WRONG! The special features are English subbed!:ooh:

OpiumKungFuCracker
I'll be double-dipping on this one anyway when CineAsia release it in the UK :smile:

Hells Yes, that's what I'm waiting for too...

AndyWayne84

Ill wait till Cine Asia releases it on DVD hoping for a Bey Logan and Mike Leeder doing audio commentaries on the flim, with making of the flim with English Subs too. Although i'm curious of one thing though whatever happen to the Jackie vs Andy Lau fight that was hearing about about six months prior to it's release?

Ill wait till Cine Asia releases it on DVD...

I seriously suggest you don't. I saw this in January in HK and I know that the sheer amount of horse trippings here guarantees that the UK release will be severly cut. Think this is one Cine Asia title that ought to be boycotted !

A pity really, I would have loved to hear Bey's take on this... :tinysmile_angry2_t:

It will be a shame if the UK version is cut but as you say horse trippings = CUTS.

I really do hope more HK blurays are region free so we have more opportunities to get uncut movies if necessary.

With the substantial improvement of quality standards of HK made Blu’s – DETECTIVE DEE, REIGN OF ASSASSINS, BODYGUARDS & ASSASSINS, hell, most recent BD’s of new HK movies are uniformly excellent – I think its mandatory nowadays for Asian film lovers to invest in a code-free BD player. You can pick up any film approximately three months after its cinema run and don’t have to wait an eternity for a R1 or R2 company to make up their mind about a release. And most of all you’re not at the mercy of a bunch of BBFC wackos with their bollocks standards of what constitutes “animal cruelty” (or "incitement to rape" or whatever...). Remember how desperately John Woo tried to convince British censors that the horse falls in RED CLIFF were not for real? All to no avail, of course…

AndyWayne84
I seriously suggest you don't. I saw this in January in HK and I know that the sheer amount of horse trippings here guarantees that the UK release will be severly cut. Think this is one Cine Asia title that ought to be boycotted !

A pity really, I would have loved to hear Bey's take on this... :tinysmile_angry2_t:

If that's the case then ill get the All Region verison. Besides i saw it very recently and enjoyed it before yesterday i would'ev gotten upset before borrowing a DVD verison from a friend of mine it was impressive enough that i would buy it from Yes Asia.

Just got this from DDDHouse TODAY on the 2-Disc DVD of SHAOLIN:

No english subtitle in special features.

Regards

Johnny

THAT SUCKS!! :ooh:

:laluot_14:

Vicol Entertainment

I just watched the blu ray and the special features disc DOES have English subtitles

Guest WuxiaFan
I just watched the blu ray and the special features disc DOES have English subtitles

I emailed DDDHouse specifically about the DVD, not the BR, so that may be the case. If someone has the DVD, please see if there are English subs on disc 2. I'm not holding my breath. :ooh:

from what i've seen. everything on the special features dvd is english subtitled. I've ripped a few trailers from it with English subs as an option. I checked the subs options for the other features and they all said they have English subs for them. Tho I haven't actually watched all the features myself yet to completely verify that they are there. I'm only going by my ripping software.

DeathFuMaster

Just got this DVD in the mail today, can't wait to pop it in tonight!

EDIT:

LOVED IT! It had a very old school feel to it, especially with all the "Buddha be praised" getting thrown around. It was interesting to see Andy Lau as the main character because I have never really seen him in a straight up Martial Arts role, usually his movies involve gansters, guns, druglords, etc. I loved seeing the monk fight with the sword that was stuck through him, very Yoshimitsu (Tekken) like. Loved the ending, overall great movie.

David Rees

Finally got to watch the Blu ray, here are my thoughts on the film.

Production values are fabulous as well as the set design and cinematography. All the actors give excellent performances, Andy Lau is good as the former general broken by tragic circumstances (a role similar to the one played by Jet Li in Fearless and Gordon Liu in 8 Diagram Pole Fighters), Nicholas Tse as the power hungry soldier who will stop at nothing to get his way and by Jackie Chan who plays a small but pivotal role as the cooking monk.

Action by Corey Yuen is very well done, mostly grounded with the occasional use of wirework to enhance the action. The fights are realistic and sometimes brutal getting the balance just right in my opinion. A couple of things did niggle me a little bit one of which was the usual Gwailo bad guys and its the first i have heard of Shaolin temple being destroyed by powerful canon fire from foreign soldiers!.

Look out also for Wu Jing and Hung Yan Yan in the mix of the action and overall you have a very satisfying movie, one of the best so far in 2011.

You can read my full film and blu ray review here....SHAOLIN BLU RAY REVIEW

Archived