North Korean Martial Arts Movies

Flashlegs Pete Jr

Did you already buy from this Korean site ? Do they accept paypal ? I sent them a message, but still haven't got any answer...

Thanks for any information.

I emailed them also with no response. I would never ever trust putting my CC info with them.. Best bet is to buy from Jamal. He has people here say he is legit and I trust these guys opinion. Would be nice to have an official copy but I've been looking everywhere! That site wanted 60€ for two DVDs that's like 81 usd nooooooo way!

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Take, for example, the very first sequence found in Jung Ki-Mo and Kim Eung-Suk’s Order No. 027. We witness an elite military troupe preparing themselves for battle with vertiginous leaping kicks and target practice before we see an insanely dangerous stunt in which three soldiers perform choreographed somersaults over the top of a moving car. This level of athleticism is mind blowing to witness. A central fight sequence mid-way through the movie replicates the intensity of the film’s opening over an elongated piece of action which recalls some of the finesse of the glory days of early Hollywood – it is as if Buster Keaton and Jackie Chan teamed up to create a deliriously exciting piece of slapstick.

The Secret History of North Korean Martial Arts Cinema

Link- https://www.filminquiry.com/secret-history-north-korean-martial-arts-cinema/

image.png

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

Secret Executioner

I recall there were discussion on action/martial arts cinema from North Korea a few years back, with trailers and scenes found on YouTube. Thanks for bringing back this subject. :BL-Thanks:

• Like 4

DragonClaws
On 7/5/2019 at 10:23 AM, Secret Executioner said:

I recall there were discussion on action/martial arts cinema from North Korea a few years back, with trailers and scenes found on YouTube. Thanks for bringing back this subject. :BL-Thanks:

No problem, and thanks to who-ever moved my post into this more appropriate thread.

• Like 3

De Ming Li

My gut feeling is that North Korea is potentially a treasure trove of cinema, if one can look past all the politics/propaganda and judge them on their own merits.

• Like 4

DragonClaws

2 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

My gut feeling is that North Korea is potentially a treasure trove of cinema, if one can look past all the politics/propaganda and judge them on their own merits. 

Do you know the English title of the North Korean movie I posted?.

De Ming Li

Unfortunately it seems to be just called "Pyongyang Nalpharam" with no exposure to the wider Western world, so couldn't find any English titles.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
10 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Unfortunately it seems to be just called "Pyongyang Nalpharam" with no exposure to the wider Western world, so couldn't find any English titles.

It been fully subtitled in English for the dialogue, odd for them not to give it some kind of a.k.a title or close translation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

It been fully subtitled in English for the dialogue, odd for them not to give it some kind of a.k.a title or close translation.

Nalpharam if I remember my digging was a predecessor of what would be Taekwondo. The main characters are named Taek and Kyon, who would create the form Taekkyon, which would develop into Taekwondo. Something along the lines of that.

• Like 4

The film HONG KIL-DONG that's being referenced a lot here is definitely worth a watch. It was tipped to me ages ago by a Russian emigree who knew it as the only kung fu movie you were allowed to watch in the Soviet Union. Here's a Letterboxd from ya boy:

https://letterboxd.com/will_mcguire/film/the-avenger-with-a-flute/

Pyongyang Naphalram is less entertaining. I've never seen the military one.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1