WAR OF THE WORLDS

Guest zhunaid

Guest zhunaid

been to a preview last night.this is by far the biggest load of trash hollywood has produced for this summer.

i am still trying to figure out what tom cruise was doing in this movie.some classics should never be remade.

great special effect but show me a movie without great effects ,even b-grade movies have great effects.

thumbs down to you mr spielberg.your magic is gone forever.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

Gotta disagree.

Had a blast. Just a good, Grade A popcorn flick and a lot of FUN to boot.

I don't see too many fun times at the theaters these days.

That just made it all the more enjoyable for me.

Yeah, there were plenty of plotholes, that Dakotta-what's-her-name got on my nerves with her non-stop screaming, Tom Cruise is (fill-in-you-criticism-here), Tim Robbins makes me want to vomit, etc., etc.

Whatever.

This was simply Speilberg having FUN. Nothing deep. Just FUN.

Guest zhunaid

it was no fun.my friends and i were bored to death.only great special effects but that u can gget in any movie tooday.bring back movies like usaual suspects and la confidential and stop wasting money on big special effecs movies.

batman begins was great.

Guest HungSzeKuan

i agree zhunaid. usual suspects & la confident made u think. no like the mindless dribble hittin the movie screen lately. and batman begins was da bomb.

Guest gorlank

Nice effects but holy smokes is Cruise and his family annoying. I like Dakota Fanning but dag I was rooting for the aliens to shut her caterwauling up.

Stuff about Spielberg really bugs me, like Jeff Goldblum's black daughter in Lost World (cringe!), the awful A.I. one of the worst pieces of pablum ever churned out. Even the horrifyingly phony happy ending in Minority Report, it should have ended with Cruise in the tube.

Spielberg seems to be losing his magic touch much like personal fave Martin Scorcese.

Guest sevenhooks

Batman Begins was pretty good up until the last 45 minutes when it suddenly succumbed to the played out conventions of every other big budget Hollywood actioner made in the last 5 years.

Oh, wow. Another climax with a runaway train. Whoopee.

Forgot about it in two days.

Guest ShaofuSage

When I walked out of the theatre following War of the Worlds it was probably the first time that I had absolutely no opinion of a movie - pure ambivalence! I don't know what to think of the movie, I didn't like it, I didn't dislike it, but it doing nothing for me, which is not a good thing. I guess my main problem was the anti-climactic ending, while I did enjoy the realism of human reaction in the situation at hand. Oh well, whatever, I don't expect much from my movie-going experience anyway.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

War Of The Worlds was a nice POPCORN summer movie. Nothing more, nothing less. Anybody going to the movie theater this summer to watch a big budget Hollywood production expecting to be intellectually challenged is an idiot (stick with IFC or Sundance channels). If you do, I cant wait to read the reviews of the other summer blockbusters: Dukes Of Hazzard, Bad News Bears, Wedding Crashers, Bewitched, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Stealth, Duece Bigelow, ect... I thought WOTW was good (not great). I liked how the focus was mainly on the people and their reactions to the destruction/mayhem. Not on the Aliens or the CGI. Yes I know there was alot of CGI, but I didnt feel it was the main focus.

Guest Markgway

Finally got around to checking this out...

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

Pretty good on the whole. But too flawed to be anything approaching a modern classic. Cruise and his daughter were fine and I liked the humanisation of the drama, but some of it doesn't work. Cruise's murder of Tim Robbins wasn't justified and came across as a bit sick. The idea is good - how far will you go to protect your child? - but they made Robbins too, well, non-threatening, really. And the Aliens come for them anyways... The final half-hour really runs out of steam, even though the F/X were superb throughout, and the happy Spielberg ending was quite, quite ridiculous. The teenage son should've been toast. He disappears over a hill and 10 secs later it's engulfed, blown to oblivion. Yet somehow he turns up in Boston BEFORE Cruise! How??? This Hollywoodized "everything's gonna be alright" totally missed the bleedin' point for me. I saw the film as a tragedy. I guess some people are always glass half full no matter what @#%$ happens??

Guest godzillakungfu

Yep. I had a problem with the end. You know this is exactly what drove me to Japanese cinema. In Japanese and Chinese cinema many times a hero is forced to make a sacrifice. Main characters die or they don't you just never know.

*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

In AMerican cinema you can't kill the main character unless you are an indepedent film maker (Million Dollar Baby Donnie Darko).

Guest Markgway

*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

In AMerican cinema you can't kill the main character unless you are an indepedent film maker (Million Dollar Baby Donnie Darko).

Thanks for the @#%$ spoilers!!!

I haven't seen MDB yet!!! :eek

Guest zhunaid

got around to watching the c thomas howell version.chhesy effects but a much better movie than teh cruise version.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Thanks for the @#%$ spoilers!!!
I haven't seen MDB yet!!!

LOL!!! I think 90% of the people who watched MDB knew about the way it ended anyway Mark! It was all over the TV, radio, and newspapers. What hole did you fall in to not have heard about it?? JK! I tried to not find out myself, but heard it on a radio program at work one day. Still a very good film regardless.

I recently watched it and while it was quite enjoyable I did not like the very end.

Seems hollywood needs to have that happy ending I was expecting Ray Ferriers son to be alive after he walked to area where mas massive explosion...

wtf...:nerd:

Archived