Cung Le the next great Martial Arts movie star!

Studio 53

Been following the work of Cung Le for a while now.. And look very much forward to see him in his big Hollywood movie 'Dragon Eyes'!

Seems like he is in high demand both in the US and overseas and could potentially be the next big martial arts actor!

What do you think?

Also was wondering if anyone on here is keeping track on the many movies he is doing?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

I've seen him in True Legend for a little bit... He reminds me of or could be the next Bolo, both very muscular... Most Leading actors in Martial Arts are very slim and toned down for some reason except if you go out of the MA realm for a little bit, guys like Arnold Swartzneger (sp) comes to mind, or Sly Stallone.. Heck, he could be the next Asian Action Jackson, LOL...

JCVD actually plays Cung Le's martial arts teacher in DRAGON EYES.

News story at Entertainment Weekly

As for Le himself, he was the best fighter in FIGHTING against Channing Tatum IMO, did well in his cameo as Marshall Law in TEKKEN. I hope DRAGON EYES propels him to big action star status.

Would rather watch him fight in mma than see him in a bunch of american ma movies to be honest.

I do have a bit of high hopes for DRAGON EYES, because Larnell Stovall had choreographed the martial arts fights for the movie and as of late Stovall has had quite an impressive track record.

I really think you should have titled this as a question not a statement. However will he be the next great martial-arts movie star? I honestly don't think so. Admittedly I have not seen enough of him. however,I actually think he will probably largely remain one of the leading villains of this generation.

Opium kung-fu Cracker, nice Avatar! Who is she? :tongue:

I agree most leading martial-arts actors are very slim but I would say Donnie Yen is a lot more muscular than most.

The next martial arts movie star? If taking lead acting material into consideration, I doubt so. Would probably do fine in B-productions but otherwise he'd be in use as a fighting antagonist in big-budgeted productions at best.

Would rather watch him fight in mma than see him in a bunch of american ma movies to be honest.

Considering he's almost 40, his MMA career is about done.

I don't see why people are so eager to only see him as a villain either. Sure, he's generally been typecast as one so far, but having him as a lead is a good thing. It's better than nothing and in the US, we're getting a whole lot of nothing when it comes to kung fu movies.

Besides, he's not a particularly villainous guy in real life.

ShaOW!linDude

I don't see why people are so eager to only see him as a villain either. Sure, he's generally been typecast as one so far, but having him as a lead is a good thing. It's better than nothing and in the US, we're getting a whole lot of nothing when it comes to kung fu movies.

True story. (Haven't heard that idiom in a while and daisho2004 dropped it the other day. Always liked that phrase.)

I really haven't seen his acting in anything as he's generally been given no dialogue but he can't be as bad as some of his MA movie star predecessors when it comes to that.

The only movie I can think of where he wasn't typecast as a villain was in PANDORUM. He had dialogue in it but it wasn't English.

From the first time I saw him fight I always thought he needed to be doing films. Let him crank out some B movies and I bet something will hit. (Hey, I like that pun.)

^It's Christina Applegate from Married with Children.

I should have recognised her since I used to love that show .

Considering he's almost 40 there's only a limited lifespan for him to develop as a leading actor. Personally I don't care whether he plays the villain or the hero, I just think he would be better playing the villain. Nothing makes the hero look better than an exceedingly strong opponent. To be fair there's plenty of talent out there not getting the chance. I really , really can't see why he would?

I agree there's not a lot coming out of the US that's great but there has been some really good movies that clearly isn't getting given a chance. Hell Broken Path hasn't even been released, Contour is not even a blip on the map out side of forums like here.

The thing about on screen villains is all too often they are the nicest guys from what people generally say about them.

Randy is still going at 47 :tongue: but yeah i think he'll probably do one more fight and call it quits though i think he could beat the champ jacare. The reason i say id rather see him fight is cause most american ma movies that are coming out these days are pretty poorly done in the fight scene department and wouldn't be a great showcases for cung's skills.

Randy is still going at 47 :tongue: but yeah i think he'll probably do one more fight and call it quits though i think he could beat the champ jacare. The reason i say id rather see him fight is cause most american ma movies that are coming out these days are pretty poorly done in the fight scene department and wouldn't be a great showcases for cung's skills.

Hah, yeah but Randy's the exception, not the rule. I do think Cung could beat Jacare too, but I dunno if it would ever happen.

It's bad enough though that Wu Jing isn't given a chance anymore and Collin Chou usually plays bad guys. Cung Le has been playing a lot of one-note villains (his role in Bodyguards and Assassins made him look mentally handicapped). It's like they're waiting for the next Bruce or Jackie and it isn't happening. I'm glad they're taking a gamble with Dragon Eyes.

Considering he's almost 40 there's only a limited lifespan for him to develop as a leading actor.

True, Donnie Yen didn't start making his recent great run until he was about 42 years old.

Hah, yeah but Randy's the exception, not the rule. I do think Cung could beat Jacare too, but I dunno if it would ever happen.

It's bad enough though that Wu Jing isn't given a chance anymore and Collin Chou usually plays bad guys. Cung Le has been playing a lot of one-note villains (his role in Bodyguards and Assassins made him look mentally handicapped). It's like they're waiting for the next Bruce or Jackie and it isn't happening. I'm glad they're taking a gamble with Dragon Eyes.

True, Donnie Yen didn't start making his recent great run until he was about 42 years old.

but then Donnie Yen had been making movies for what 20 years previous to that. Cung Le doesn't have the time to do that. Wu Jing has been in the business for a while and he's struggling to get decent leading roles, or in fact any kind of decent supporting roles.

Cung Le is going to struggle because there just aren't the films being made.

Archived