Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection Box

Silverfox89

Silverfox89

Have these DVD movies from Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection Box (R3 or R1 ) the original Mandarin audio track or are they new dubbed?

What is the difference between R1 and R3 Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection Box?

What is the best release of these two boxes?

Anyone know? Grateful for answers.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're looking for original PROPER Mandarin tracks, go with the R1 release. The R3 release takes the Mandarin tracks and slaps new sound effects OVER the old ones, and sometimes adds different music (mainly in The Big Boss, where music from the Cantonese version sneaks in).

picture.php?albumid=141&pictureid=3218

Uncut...

Original Trailers

Screen cap/slide shows

Multi-language Tracks

Subs

Bey Logan Commentaries

But none of the HKL dvds have original Mandarin except platinum version of Fist Of Fury. They are the best in all other aspects tho.

Son Of A Gun

Silver Fox, unfortunately there is no ''best'' release of the Bruce Lee movies. They all have their flaws and all are annoying.

I am working on a custom dvd for Big Boss at the moment which will have the best of all worlds once it's done.

Here's some info you might want to know, but you might not be as fussy as me.,,,

The Big Boss:

HKL = (platinum edition) is progressive scan - giving a sharper quality picture but in most scenes the actors have pinky skin tones. (Chinese don't have pink skin) The quality is however slightly better than the Region 1 and 3 releases.

Audio = It has (1) original cantonese mono/ (2) a stereo downmix/ (3) original english dub mono (quite rough sounding but bearable) + a dvd commentary by Will (the prof) Johnson and Andy Staton. (although their commentary lacks the constant energy that Bey Logan commentaries have, Will certainly knows his stuff and gives some interesting facts through out) I speak to Will quite regularly and he knows his stuff alright.

Subititles = Appear to be pretty vague and incorrect at times - theatrical subs, that have been slightly jazzed up in places but still missing alot of dialogue and cultural references.

Note: All dvd releases of The Big Boss have have the same old theatrical subs, with a couple of slight differences here and there from release to release. This film needs a proper translation done. (I've been working on improving the subs for my dvd but although it will be much better it will still be far from perfect)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IVL/Joy Sales (region 3) = (interlaced) No pink skin tones this time but still not very realistic looking. Basically the same print as HKL's.

Audio = No english dub. It has - 5.1 cantonese/5.1 mandarin with newly added sound effects (yuk!)/ original cantonese mono but heavily filtered sounding. (yuk!) (possibly going out of sync sometimes, but I can't remember for certain)

Oh and during the original mono track, the scene where Chow Mei brings Bruce a cup of tea for the very first time, the audio switches to what sounds like a remastered down mix.

Subtitles = Crappy theatrical subs like all the rest, with some slight, unexciting alterations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox (region1) = Same print and quality as the Joy Sales (from what I can see). (Interlaced)

Audio = Original english dub mixed into a really horrible sounding 5.1 mix, with added wind effects and all sorts. You can barely hear the voices sometimes. It's seriously shit. And some music cues from the cantonese score added in to certain scenes.

Cantonese 5.1, the same mix as Joy Sales I expect. Original cantonese mono - Not heavily filtered unlike Joy Sales. It sounds pretty good. Original Mandarin mono - this track is very old and doesn't seem to be available in decent quality, but this is the best version I've heard of it. Not great but a real result that it's included. Problem is, it goes way out of sync towards the end of the Night time Ice factory fight. (I fixed this in my custom dvd. God knows why they couldn't)

Subtitles = same old

HKL platinum edition wins for Bonus Features. Worth getting for the photo features and original rare trailers and alternate opening credit sequences.

---

I'll do Fist of Fury next, when I get my breath back. :tongue:

Silverfox89
Silver Fox, unfortunately there is no ''best'' release of the Bruce Lee movies. They all have their flaws and all are annoying.

I am working on a custom dvd for Big Boss at the moment which will have the best of all worlds once it's done.

Here's some info you might want to know, but you might not be as fussy as me.,,,

The Big Boss:

HKL = (platinum edition) High quality HD master was the source for this transfer but in most scenes the actors have pinky skin tones. (Chinese don't have pink skin) The quality is however slightly better than the Region 1 and 3 releases.

Audio = It has (1) original cantonese mono/ (2) a stereo downmix/ (3) original english dub mono (quite rough sounding but bearable) + a dvd commentary by Will (the prof) Johnson and Andy Staton. (although their commentary lacks the constant energy that Bey Logan commentaries have, Will certainly knows his stuff and gives some interesting facts through out) I speak to Will quite regularly and he knows his stuff alright.

Subititles = Appear to be pretty vague and incorrect at times - theatrical subs, that have been slightly jazzed up in places but still missing alot of dialogue and cultural references.

Note: All dvd releases of The Big Boss have have the same old theatrical subs, with a couple of slight differences here and there from release to release. This film needs a proper translation done. (I've been working on improving the subs for my dvd but although it will be much better it will still be far from perfect)

IVL/Joy Sales (region 3) = (interlaced) No pink skin tones this time but still not very realistic looking. Basically the same print as HKL's but not from HD.

Audio = No english dub. It has - 5.1 cantonese/5.1 mandarin with newly added sound effects (yuk!)/ original cantonese mono but heavily filtered sounding. (yuk!) (possibly going out of sync sometimes, but I can't remember for certain)

Oh and during the original mono track, the scene where Chow Mei brings Bruce a cup of tea for the very first time, the audio switches to what sounds like a remastered down mix.

Subtitles = Crappy theatrical subs like all the rest, with some slight, unexciting alterations.

Fox (region1) = Same print and quality as the Joy Sales (from what I can see). (Interlaced)

Audio = Original english dub mixed into a really horrible sounding 5.1 mix, with added wind effects and all sorts. You can barely hear the voices sometimes. It's seriously shit. And some music cues from the cantonese score added in to certain scenes.

Cantonese 5.1, the same mix as Joy Sales I expect. Original cantonese mono - Not heavily filtered unlike Joy Sales. It sounds pretty good. Original Mandarin mono - this track is very old and doesn't seem to be available in decent quality, but this is the best version I've heard of it. Not great but a real result that it's included. Problem is, it goes way out of sync towards the end of the Night time Ice factory fight. (I fixed this in my custom dvd. God knows why they couldn't)

Subtitles = same old

HKL platinum edition wins for Bonus Features. Worth getting for the photo features and original rare trailers and alternate opening credit sequences.

---

I'll do Fist of Fury next, when I get my breath back. :tongue:

Thanks so much for all the information you provided.

OpiumKungFuCracker
picture.php?albumid=141&pictureid=3218

Uncut...

Original Trailers

Screen cap/slide shows

Multi-language Tracks

Subs

Bey Logan Commentaries

I'm a proud owner of that boxset, and I simply love it!!!

I'm a proud owner of that boxset, and I simply love it!!!

It is a gem... I'm quite happy I picked it up before HKL's went under.

Great packaging as well.

:nerd:

This one would've been equally great if it had Logan's commentaries and original Eng. trailers:

picture.php?albumid=141&pictureid=3219

IVL/Joy Sales (region 3) = (interlaced) No pink skin tones this time but still not very realistic looking. Basically the same print as HKL's but not from HD.

All the Digital Remasters are from HD masters.

Son Of A Gun

Why don't they look like it then? Maybe because the HKL being PAL makes it look better, but also it has a problem with digital mosing and twittering around certain details in certain scenes, like bars on windows and fences and things with lines close together. I haven't noticed as much of that on the region 1 & 3 versions. I read that twittering can be caused by downscaling an HD video to SD. I thought that's why HKL's has all that annoying flickering/twittering, or whatever you wanna call it.

But if you say so.

Why don't they look like it then? Maybe because the HKL being PAL makes it look better, but also it has a problem with digital mosing and twittering around certain details in certain scenes, like bars on windows and fences and things with lines close together. I haven't noticed as much of that on the region 1 & 3 versions. I read that twittering can be caused by downscaling an HD video to SD. I thought that's why HKL's has all that annoying flickering/twittering, or whatever you wanna call it.

But if you say so.

R1 and R3 being interlaced maybe a reason.

Son Of A Gun

I guess that's a big part of the reason. OK. I'd better change my description on the previous page. :nerd:

Archived