Martial-Arts Movies in Limbo...

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Nice list of updates.  

Another project I can think of is BLACK SALT, from the director of BLOOD AND BONE.  He raised money for it in 2013.

http://blacksaltfilm.com/

This was posted just today on Facebook, looks like the DVD will be getting a release soon -

12374744_1062331327131544_7843815970172244856_o.jpg

• Like 3

Bui Doi Cho Lon aka Chinatown:

Although finished, it never saw the light of day because of vietnamese censorship. However, I did watch the leaked workprint. Very bloody and brutal Martial Arts display with a good story wrapped around it. I still hope this will be officialy released in its entirety some day.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

'White Tiger' - This movie was actually completed, a whole 3 years ago.  Due to distribution issues it's threatened to be released more times than a ninja headband shows up in a Godfrey Ho movie, but at the end of 2015 there's still no sign of it.  Featuring the last performance by Joe Lewis before he passed away, and directed by Toby Russell, the movie features Don 'The Dragon' Wilson, Cynthia Rothrock, and Matt Mullins.  Who knows, maybe some time in 2016?

'A Man Will Rise' - It was widely reported that as part of the deal for Jaa agreeing to take part in 'Skin Trade', a production which was quite personal for Dolph Lundgren, Lundgren himself agreed to star in Jaa's directorial effort - 'A Man Will Rise' - a Thai comedy western.  However with Jaa severing his ties (pardon the pun) with Sahamongkol Film, it became unclear as to if the movie was ever actually completed or not, but even if it was, the likelihood is that it'll remain indefinitely shelved.

You are owning me with these! And no, I will not pardon the pun. Keep 'em coming!:tongueout

Wow! Re-Born looks like it will have some cool fights! Glad to see Tak coming back!

Albert Pyun's Star Warfare Rangers & the Cyborg Witch of Endor looks like a hot mess. The title is entirely too wordy, and seems to blatantly hint at other films/franchises which it has no connection to. The trailer alone screams that this film would probably be due for an immediate MST3K treatment.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Donnie Yen could almost warrant a separate thread for the amount of announced movies that he has in limbo.  The four at the moment are - 

The Master - Announced way back in 2014 as one of two movies which would be produced by Yen's (now not so) newly formed Super Hero Films Co., 'The Master' would reunite Yen with 'The Monkey King' director Soi Cheang.  'The Monkey King' was a major departure from the dark material Cheang usually works with, most recently on display in the excellent 'SPL 2: A Time for Consequences', itself a thematic sequel to the 2005 Yen starring original, so to see them working together on a tale set in 70's America was an exciting prospect.  However, now in 2016, 'The Master' seems to have disappeared without a trace.

Dragon City - The other movie which was set to be produced by Super Hero Films Co., this one was to pair Yen up with 'Gallants' director Derek Kwok, for a tale once again set in the 70's, but this time in the notorious Walled City in Kowloon.  Since the movie was announced Kwok, like Soi Cheang, has already gone on to direct another feature in the form of the excellent 'Full Strike', while Yen has been busy with both 'Ip Man 3' and his role in the upcoming Star Wars spin-off, 'Rogue One'.  With several false starts reported throughout 2014, it looks like 'Dragon City' is still pushed well onto the backburner.

Noodle Man - Yen's big Hollywood / China co-production, set to be filmed in English like the sequel to 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', has, like the above two titles, apart from being announced had very little progress made on its production status.  Originally set to start shooting last spring with co-stars reported as being none other than Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, and directed by Daming Chen, since then there's been no word.

Iceman 3D - Part 2 - For what was supposed to be a quick one-two punch of frozen Donnie goodness, a re-make of the Yuen Biao 1989 action comedy, it's now pushing 2 years since the original was released, ending on a significant cliffhanger.  Since it was released co-star Wang Baoqiang has gained considerable recognition for his kung-fu skills, starring alongside Yen in 'Kung Fu Killer', and headlining his own movie with 'Monk Comes Down the Mountain'.  As for Part 2 of 'Iceman' though, the only rumblings that can be heard om this one, are the sounds of tumbleweed gently blowing across the ground.

We know Yen will be in 'Rogue One' next year, but the question is, how many of the above will finally make it to the screen?

• Like 4

Cognoscente

The Black Ninja - Taimak's collaboration with Robert Tai, Toby Russell, Bey Logan and Wayne Archer.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2011 at 11:53 AM, teako170 said:

If I recall correctly, they ran out of dough. Two guys ran the website, Burning Shaolin Production: Michael Parrella and Damien Caldwell. Don't know if they're involved in that industry anymore as Caldwell appears to be working in the health care field. Parrella is a martial artist and has a school in NYC -- think this is his website. They may have even come onto the old board to promote the film.

Too bad as they had Gordon, Hsio Hou, and Johnny Wang all on board. Here's what the old website looked like back in 2007 but its now defunct.

This might be the film Mark Houghton talked to me about in 2018 while he was out promoting the documentary "I am the White Tiger". He said he wants to end his film career by making what is Lau Kar Leung's final script so I am guessing it might be this?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

This might be the film Mark Houghton talked to me about in 2018 while he was out promoting the documentary "I am the White Tiger". He said he wants to end his film career by making what is Lau Kar Leung's final script so I am guessing it might be this?

Don’t recall now. It’s been a decade. 

• Like 3

On 1/3/2016 at 5:07 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Iceman 3D - Part 2 - For what was supposed to be a quick one-two punch of frozen Donnie goodness, a re-make of the Yuen Biao 1989 action comedy, it's now pushing 2 years since the original was released, ending on a significant cliffhanger.  Since it was released co-star Wang Baoqiang has gained considerable recognition for his kung-fu skills, starring alongside Yen in 'Kung Fu Killer', and headlining his own movie with 'Monk Comes Down the Mountain'.  As for Part 2 of 'Iceman' though, the only rumblings that can be heard om this one, are the sounds of tumbleweed gently blowing across the ground.

This one eventually did get released, although I'm sure that both Donnie and his fans wish that it hadn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/10/2015 at 10:48 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

'White Tiger' - This movie was actually completed, a whole 3 years ago.  Due to distribution issues it's threatened to be released more times than a ninja headband shows up in a Godfrey Ho movie, but at the end of 2015 there's still no sign of it.  Featuring the last performance by Joe Lewis before he passed away, and directed by Toby Russell, the movie features Don 'The Dragon' Wilson, Cynthia Rothrock, and Matt Mullins.  Who knows, maybe some time in 2016?

This one would be released as Death Fighter ICYMI

61eQwDw3nML.jpg

There was a major legal battle at the time between Karen Kaing and George Tan apparently and eventually, Kaing would not only win the battle, but ended up with sole producer credit on the film. 

• Like 1