Martial-Arts Movies in Limbo...

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

It struck me today that over the past few years, some of the movies I have been most eagerly looking forward to watching, have in fact never had the opportunity to be completed.

In todays movie climate, I think it`s a real tragedy to the martial-arts genre that these movies have been unable to be completed, or even started in some cases, specifically, off the top of my head I can think of -

Lau Kar Leung`s final masterpiece `Heroes of Shaolin`, this news is from way back in 2006 - http://twitchfilm.com/news/2006/06/martial-arts-director-lau-kar-leung-prepares-for-his-kung-fu-masterpiece-he.php

The Stunt People & Micah Moore`s sequel to `Contour`, `Beat Down Boogie`, the practice tape and trailer are still up on the website, but still no word on it being completed - http://www.beatdownboogie.com/projects/beat-down-boogie/

Ryoo Seung-Wan`s zombies versus warriors movie `Yacha`, this movie sounded excellent, once again this news is from 2007 - http://www.kungfucinema.com/ryoo-seung-wan-resurrects-the-dead-in-yacha-859

Does anyone have any word on these movies....or can think of any more eagerly awaited movies that have never made it into distribution?

Lau Kar Leung`s final masterpiece `Heroes of Shaolin`, this news is from way back in 2006 - http://twitchfilm.com/news/2006/06/martial-arts-director-lau-kar-leung-prepares-for-his-kung-fu-masterpiece-he.php?

If I recall correctly, they ran out of dough. Two guys ran the website, Burning Shaolin Production: Michael Parrella and Damien Caldwell. Don't know if they're involved in that industry anymore as Caldwell appears to be working in the health care field. Parrella is a martial artist and has a school in NYC -- think this is his website. They may have even come onto the old board to promote the film.

Too bad as they had Gordon, Hsio Hou, and Johnny Wang all on board. Here's what the old website looked like back in 2007 but its now defunct.

ShaOW!linDude

Would you include projects that were completed but have had their releases hung up for whatever reason?

I'm thinking of films like:

Broken Path ---- JYB/Alpha Stunts

Blizhniy Boy ---- Cung Le project

Dogs of Chinatown ---- don't know that this is a Stunt People film but it stars Eric Jacobus and the trailer looks pretty intense.

Any new word on any of these?

Would you include projects that were completed but have had their releases hung up for whatever reason?

Dogs of Chinatown ---- don't know that this is a Stunt People film but it stars Eric Jacobus and the trailer looks pretty intense.

I think what One Armed Boxer is talking about is what happened to movies that were announced but never made. As opposed to the three you mentioned, all have been completed, but there is no word on distribution.

Shaolin dude, I can only speak for Broken Path but if you can find a legitimate DVD I can tell you it's worth every penny! ( Worth more than anything recent imho). If not download the next best thing with the highest possible bit rate. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed but just make sure you watch it in the highest possible standard, fucking awesome movie mate.:xd: :xd:

To OAB, I hope beat down boogie get's made!

One Armed Boxer

Hey ShaOW!linDude....yeah why not!

Although out of the 3 titles you've listed, 2 of them already have legitimate releases! You can buy 'Broken Path' on region 2 South African DVD. It involves a little internet legwork to track down, but as blue_skies mentioned it's worth every penny, I think you'll really enjoy it and I have a copy myself.

'Dogs of Chinatown' has been available from the StuntPeople website for a while, you can get it here - http://stuntpeoplestore.bigcartel.com/product/dogs-of-chinatown-dvd Although unfortunately for me it was a big let down, far too much filler with a plodding storyline and bad acting, yes the fights are awesome, but the best bits are all in the trailer, and whats more, the music they're set to in the trailer is 100 times better than what they opted to go with in the actual movie!

On a similar note, there was also the Thai movie 'DeadEnd' being made back in 2006 with Mike B, which was also abandoned mid-production due to lack of funds. Although the makers actually recycled the footage from that movie to make last years 'The Sanctuary'. Here is the original trailer for 'DeadEnd' before production stopped - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/303690/something_like_tonyjaa_deadend/

Drunken Monk

As I mentioned in another thread, the "Fist of Dragon" trailer was released a long time ago and looked amazingly promising. However, it hasn't been seen or heard of since...

u5AJN0CO_qA

ShaOW!linDude

@ OAB

Dude, thanks for the links.

Especially the one for the Stunt People. I never knew about that. There's 2 films on there I'd never even heard of. The prices aren't bad either. I may try to scrounge up the $ in the next few weeks for some of them.

I knew The Sanctuary was a film salvaged from another movie Mike B was working on. (I've got that btw.)

I'm no download guru but I may make an attempt to try that with Broken Path. I've read that the picture quality of the dvd isn't too great and I don't have the capacity to play Region 2 stuff.

@ OAB

Dude, thanks for the links.

Especially the one for the Stunt People. I never knew about that. There's 2 films on there I'd never even heard of. The prices aren't bad either. I may try to scrounge up the $ in the next few weeks for some of them.

I knew The Sanctuary was a film salvaged from another movie Mike B was working on. (I've got that btw.)

I'm no download guru but I may make an attempt to try that with Broken Path. I've read that the picture quality of the dvd isn't too great and I don't have the capacity to play Region 2 stuff.

Shaolin dude, I've think you may be mixing up a review of the pirated copy that it is available/was available on Amazon.com. As I recall that had a poor picture quality from the reviews there. The legitimate South African DVD picture quality has good picture quality.:bigsmile:

If you don't mind me asking what DVD player you have? Because you may well be able to get a free remote control hack off the internet to make your player region free.

One-armed boxer, thanks for the link to the stunt people's store. I haven't looked in a long while and they have knocked down their postage costs from $9 to $5, a much more reasonable fee!

ShaOW!linDude
If you don't mind me asking what DVD player you have? Because you may well be able to get a free remote control hack off the internet to make your player region free.

I have a Phillips brand Blu-ray player. It may be a year old.

I have a Phillips brand Blu-ray player. It may be a year old.

Blu ray may make it trickier to unlock the DVDs but being Phillips is promising. what's the model no?

ShaOW!linDude

Dude, I couldn't tell you right now.

I'll have to look at it later today.

Will send you a pm later, cool?

Dude, I couldn't tell you right now.

I'll have to look at it later today.

Will send you a pm later, cool?

sure, I'll take a look see if there's a known hack when I get a moment. Always worth a look to get you multi region.:bigsmile:

One Armed Boxer
As I mentioned in another thread, the "Fist of Dragon" trailer was released a long time ago and looked amazingly promising. However, it hasn't been seen or heard of since...

Yeah I agree this looks like it had promise, in the fighting department at least, but since then it seems to have dissapeared without a trace...:squigglemouth:

How is it? I gave up on Mike B after purchasing 'Brave', which I though was awful, his character was almost as annoying as Dean Shek on a bad day.

Another movie which was completed but seems to be without a DVD release is 'Coweb'...anyone know what happened to this one? I thought it looked decent and really enjoyed Jiang Lu Xia's performance in the Dennis Law movie 'Bad Blood'. Surely if his movies can get a DVD release 'Coweb' deserves one as well!

0MywZwP5wC0

Another movie which was completed but seems to be without a DVD release is 'Coweb'...anyone know what happened to this one? I thought it looked decent and really enjoyed Jiang Lu Xia's performance in the Dennis Law movie 'Bad Blood'. Surely if his movies can get a DVD release 'Coweb' deserves one as well!

0MywZwP5wC0

Seconded, this is one I keep looking out for but alas nothing. :frown:

ShaOW!linDude

Wondered about Fist of Dragon myself.

Here's a link for Coweb but it may be a boot. I don't know.

http://www.kungfuvision.com/item/Combat-Web-aka-Coweb-732.html

I thought I came across this somewhere else but now I can't remember.

Regarding The Sanctuary: I liked Brave. If you didn't, I don't know that you'll like this, OAB. To me, Brave is the better of the 2. The Sanctuary has it moments and there's some good choreography in it but it's just not as brutal as the first. Maybe you can rent it for a look-see and decide rather than purchasing it and getting pissed.

One Armed Boxer
Regarding The Sanctuary: I liked Brave. If you didn't, I don't know that you'll like this, OAB. To me, Brave is the better of the 2. The Sanctuary has it moments and there's some good choreography in it but it's just not as brutal as the first. Maybe you can rent it for a look-see and decide rather than purchasing it and getting pissed.

Yeah good idea, to be honest I couldn't even describe 'Brave' as brutal, it just kind of seemed like a bunch of recycled moves but on a lower budget....I tryed to justify spending my money on it though by replaying the roof stunt over and over again though, that was indeed very impressive!

Another couple of movies that seem to be in limbo, what has happened to the Mark Dacascos projects 'Song of the Knife' & 'Man of Action'? The later of which was a reunion between the 'Drive' team of Dacascos, director Steve Wang, and Alpha Stunts member Koichi Sakamoto!

This news from Twitch is over a year old now - http://twitchfilm.com/news/2010/03/mark-dacascos-returns-to-martial-arts-action-in-song-of-the-knife.php

Another couple of movies that seem to be in limbo, what has happened to the Mark Dacascos projects 'Song of the Knife' & 'Man of Action'? The later of which was a reunion between the 'Drive' team of Dacascos, director Steve Wang, and Alpha Stunts member Koichi Sakamoto!

This news from Twitch is over a year old now - http://twitchfilm.com/news/2010/03/mark-dacascos-returns-to-martial-arts-action-in-song-of-the-knife.php

Gutted I was looking forward to the alpha stunts/ Dacscos reunuion:squigglemouth:

One Armed Boxer

I think we can safely add Benny Chen's remake / not a remake 'The Guillotines' onto this list after reading the latest over at Twitch-

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/04/the-guillotines-slides-into-turmoil.php

As the article mentions this looks like it will turn into another troubled production like 'Bodyguards & Assassins', I hope it will at least turn out better than that movie did.

I really don't have much hope for Mark Zaror's US 3D remake of 'Mirage Man', 'The Defender', it kind of sounds like a bad idea from the start....and if it's still in the development phases this far in, maybe it's time to just let it go and stick to making low budget bone crunching martial arts movies that everyone loves, regardless of if it's in Spanish or not.

I really don't have much hope for Mark Zaror's US 3D remake of 'Mirage Man', 'The Defender', it kind of sounds like a bad idea from the start....and if it's still in the development phases this far in, maybe it's time to just let it go and stick to making low budget bone crunching martial arts movies that everyone loves, regardless of if it's in Spanish or not.

I absolutely agree I wish he would return to making low-budget movies where they can put that time and effort into the fight sequences. Rather than a pointless remake with a fad like 3D. As you say I couldn't care less which language the film is made in, although it's nice to be in English, as long as it kicks ass and entertains me.

One Armed Boxer

Interesting to look back on this thread 4 years on and see what's got made/released, and what was never meant to be.

'Fist of Dragon' now has a release, as does 'Coweb', and of course 'The Guillotines' also ended up being completed and released.

What about more recently though?  I nominate these movies - 

'Garuda 7' - Billed as the Indonesian Expendables, the original trailer that was released for this turned out to be just that - a trailer, with no other footage shot.  Throw in poorly photo-shopped promotional posters, which throw the cast members together in such a way that it's obvious none of them are actually together, and the future for this one looks very dicey indeed.  That being said, John Ladalski said in a November 2015 interview with Cool Ass Cinema that he's still producing the movie, and trying to locate an investor, as well as claiming that he's discovered a new female kung-fu star who surpasses Jija Yanin.  We'll see.

'Lady Bloodfight' - The latest movie to be produced by Bey Logan, this one was in production for more than 2 years, going through a title change as well as a lead actress one as well (Jet Tranter, originally announced to be the lead, was eventually cast in a supporting role, with the lead going to Amy Johnston).  Directed by 'Kiss of the Dragon' helmer Chris Nahon and choreographed by Xiong Xin-Xin, shooting apparently wrapped in March, however 9 months on and it appears to still be in post-production limbo.

'White Tiger' - This movie was actually completed, a whole 3 years ago.  Due to distribution issues it's threatened to be released more times than a ninja headband shows up in a Godfrey Ho movie, but at the end of 2015 there's still no sign of it.  Featuring the last performance by Joe Lewis before he passed away, and directed by Toby Russell, the movie features Don 'The Dragon' Wilson, Cynthia Rothrock, and Matt Mullins.  Who knows, maybe some time in 2016?

'Chocolate 2' - Originally announced in 2011, this sequel was due to bring back both Jija Yanin as the star and Prachya Pinkaew as director, however to the best of my knowledge I don't think this even got close to getting off the ground.  With Yanin's pregnancy during the filming of 'Tom Yum Goong 2', she seemed to take a hiatus from working in the film industry, and has only recently returned with a role announced in the Scott Adkins starring 'Hard Target 2'.  As for 'Chocolate 2' though, if it would be anything like 'Tom Yum Goong 2', then maybe it's best it never happens.

'Re:Born' - Tak Sakaguchi's final martial arts masterpiece was announced back in May 2014, but now 18 months on there still doesn't seem to be any sign of it, and apart from a couple of videos of Sakaguchi in training, there's also zero footage from the movie itself.  Hopefully it still see's the light of day, however this is one that's taking a long time to come together.

'A Man Will Rise' - It was widely reported that as part of the deal for Jaa agreeing to take part in 'Skin Trade', a production which was quite personal for Dolph Lundgren, Lundgren himself agreed to star in Jaa's directorial effort - 'A Man Will Rise' - a Thai comedy western.  However with Jaa severing his ties (pardon the pun) with Sahamongkol Film, it became unclear as to if the movie was ever actually completed or not, but even if it was, the likelihood is that it'll remain indefinitely shelved.

'City of Blood' - Originally billed as an unofficial reboot of the 'Kickboxer' series, alongside the Alain Moussi starring 'Kickboxer: Vengeance', 'City of Blood' would reunite Sasha Michell with director Albert Pyun.  However at the beginning of 2015, Pyun posted on his Facebook that due to his deteriorating health, filming has been postponed until fall.  Now that the end of year is upon us, there's been no word since then, so it seems this production's future at this stage looks uncertain.

Can anyone think of any others?

• Like 2

I know a few small updates with a few of the recent titles:

White Tiger - The issue between producers has been settled and they recently screened at the American Film Market with hopes of getting distribution, but it is highly likely that we will see it in 2016.

City of Blood - Pyun has postponed the film "indefinitely". He is actually working on a sci-fi film right now entitled Star Warfare Rangers and the Cyborg Witch of Endor. The trailer has been released. The star is Kickboxer 4's Brad Thornton. This film is due for release in May 2016.

Edited by AlbertV

One Armed Boxer

'Re:Born' - Tak Sakaguchi's final martial arts masterpiece was announced back in May 2014, but now 18 months on there still doesn't seem to be any sign of it, and apart from a couple of videos of Sakaguchi in training, there's also zero footage from the movie itself.  Hopefully it still see's the light of day, however this is one that's taking a long time to come together.

Looks like I (thankfully) spoke too soon on this one, just 4 days after posting and the teaser has been released, & it's looking pretty good! -