Typhoon (2005)

daisho2004

Typhoon:

Has anyone seen this movie it sounds pretty good, if so how is it?

Movie Description

Hailing from South Korea, director Kyung-Taek Kwak (FRIEND) brings some explosive subject matter to the silver screen with TYPHOON. Kwak follows in the tradition of directors such as John Woo (HARD BOILED) and Takashi Miike (DEAD OR ALIVE), molding a fast-paced action thriller that manages to divide its time between visceral set pieces and intriguing plot developments. Sin (Jang Dong-Gun) is from North Korea and still feels the effects of his parents' slaying at the hands of brutal South Korean tormentors, who refused to allow Sin's family to move into the country when he was a kid. Sin plans to destroy both North and South Korea in the ultimate act of vengeance, and his acquisition of some potentially deadly nuclear waste helps further his maniacal dreams. Jang Se-jong (Jung-Jae Lee) is a South Korean native whose naval training is called upon when he is given the task of tackling Sin, and director Kwak draws on a strong supporting cast to act out some explosive and bloody battles as the two men go head-to-head. Kwak takes the eyebrow-raising decision to have his cast speak in English for most of the film, and some of the lines could possibly have benefited from a little more work in the preproduction stage. But TYPHOON isn't meant to be Shakespeare, and audiences will surely revel in the on-screen pyrotechnics and death-defying stunt work that barely lets up from start to finish.

!!eBv54g!WM~$(KGrHqEOKjEE0f2CblUFBNQ3stLR2Q~~_8.JPG?set_id=89040003C1

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're a fan of Kwak Gyeong Tak, you'll probably like it. I'm not, I found it like I found most of his other films, too slow and uninteresting.

This was fucking AWFUL. Saw it in the theater when CJ and Paramount released it in the US. It was the Director's Cut version, running some minutes shorter than the Korean release, but it was not nearly short enough. The villain's master plan, hinging upon the meteorological condition mentioned in the title, was something Peter Griffin might have cooked up on the toilet. Avoid unless you like crappy faux-Jerry Bruckheimer dogshit. I was looking forward to this because I really liked the director's earlier film FRIEND. Ouch.

Guest Markgway

I picked up a copy of the UK DVD on the cheap without realising it was an abridged international edit (16 mins shorter than the Korean cinema version). Is it still worth watching - or is the movie spoilt by the cuts?

wouldnt recommend it either.

afair, it was dragging way too often and worked on a muddled, anticlimactic screenplay, but was otherwise watchable. maybe a 3 or 4/10.

Archived