"The Avenging Eagle" and "Duel of the Iron Fist" showing this Fri./Sat. in L.A.

wackiechan

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

"The Avenging Eagle" and "Duel of the Iron Fist" will be showing at The New Beverly Cinema on 3/25/11 and 3/26/11. The New Beverly is in the Los Angeles area.

I found out that when "Duel of the Iron Fist" will be shown, it will be the English-dubbed American release version. So you Shaw fans might know what "that" means. Yes, a cut up version, including "something" that is cut that would probably bother a lot people, including maybe the New Beverly audience.

I don't know why "The Duel"(uncut HK version of "DOTIF") couldn't be shown instead.

If you're going to reply to this topic, and talk about the particular scene in "DOTIF", then you may want to include a "SPOILER WARNING" that is similar to mine.

Anyway, here's more info about the Shaw double feature:

http://www.newbevcinema.com/calendar.cfm

http://www.facebook.com/GrindhouseFest

http://www.facebook.com/GrindhouseFest#!/event.php?eid=200433236653640

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaolin Patriot

Thanks for the heads-up. Although I'm a fan of both films, I'll try to catch Avenging Eagle on Saturday. I'd certainly be disappointed with the cut DOIF. Any of the audience who aren't SB fans won't even know the difference.

It would be great if New Beverly could make this a regular monthly promotion. I'd also like to see this at the Egyptian or Aero theaters too.

Went to see Avenging Eagle and Duel of the Iron Fist last night (Quentin Tarantino was there again to introduce both movies) Avenging Eagle was first up..The burnt in dubtitles were not great but Imo the print looked very good! The audience began (as usual with non KF movie fans) laughing at everything. But the laughter quickly turned to oohs, aahs, and cheers! In the end a well deserved rousing ovation for a great KF movie :) Duel of the Iron Fist was not as well received. A poorly dubbed version..The print was just ok and several scenes were repeated (something weird with reels & splices I guess) And "the end" came before the end of the final fight scene..Anyway, a memorable evening.. Tonight: Fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe. Yay. :)

>It would be great if New Beverly could make this a regular monthly promotion. I'd also like to see this at the Egyptian or Aero theaters too.<

That would be great. There really hasn't been much lately..I dont recall The Egyptian or Aero theaters ever screening KFs. Every once in a while a Spaghetti Western or two, but thats it..

Went to see Avenging Eagle and Duel of the Iron Fist last night....

Thanks for the recap, iron flag. Always a fun filled time when fu fans can get together and watch some flix on the big screen. Anyone else attend?

Yes it was a lot of fun..Seeing Hot Cool & Vicious on Tuesday was great as well! QT was also super excited (I guess he always seems that way LOL) I had a chance to thank him last night.I didn't want to bug him too much. He seemed very friendly though. There may have been other members there (I dont know anyone from the forum in the LA area) I posted a while back about the screenings & it didn't get any responses..

Shaolin Patriot

I also made it out on Saturday night to catch the double features. Tarantino didn't make an appearance (must have just been the first screening). The Avenging Eagle print was in terrible shape - the color was so washed out and splices all thoughout the film. I was hoping it would have been the Celestial remaster. The New Beverly must have had this print in their vaults since the 1970's. DOIF was the full frame dub with noticeable cuts. Audience were the usual non-SB fans who heckled at just about everything on screen.

Audience were the usual non-SB fans who heckled at just about everything on screen.

Have to wonder why these people even bother to come as its obviously a film genre that they have no interest in. Do you think those non-SB fans were present simply to see QT? If that were the case, its still a bit odd as this is a genre that QT really digs, hence his fans should also have (some) interest. Otherwise, they're not true fans of his (if that makes any sense).

These prints are from the AGFA. They have so many they could show, great Shaws & other stuff. I hope this is just the beginning of the screenings at the Bev. Too bad about Avenging Eagle's condition. I was told that it was in great shape.

Compared to most of the 35mm prints I've seen for "cult film" screenings, I thought Avenging Eagle looked great (I was not expecting Celestial quality) I think the crowd behaved better Friday since QT was there and gave a spirited and informative introduction. A lot of the people that go have no clue about what he likes. They just know he's a celebrity and word has gotten around that he does show up there occasionally. I've heard the guy who runs the theater warning the crowd QT wont be there in advance (kind of telling the "non fans" not to bother showing up for certain screenings) Yes. It annoys the crap out of me when non KF fans laugh at everything! They are just going to see what they consider "unintended comedy". Why bother? Dont they have anything better to do?

Blood Sword

Unfortunately old school kung-fu movies are maybe most under-rated genre among western audience.I even know personally quite many who love kill bills and hate movies like new tales of flying fox and five element ninjas++++

In past I tried to explain them why kung-fu movies are in fact better(in my opinion) than Kill Bills(I like those too a lot) but waste of time...

Fair enough nobody can be forced to like something but old Shaws have great fights, good storyline and very strict moral issue often.

If they cannot see what a fine movie f e avenging eagle is, their loss.

Archived