How much do the "old guard" mean to you now?

blue_skies

ShaOW!linDude

It's a dual package. Talented MA's are a must have, there's no disputing that. But a talented choreographer is key.

We've all seen really good MA's in mediocre films executing rather bland choreography.

Choreography that is fascinating and captivating to watch makes a mediocre MA movie worthy of multiple viewings. Some choreography seems so mechanical. Good choreographers understand flow in fight pacing. They know how to bring a flourish to even the most basic of movements, depict proper impact, and link techniques in such a way as to make the fight look spectacular.

That's why anything with or done by Sammo Hung is practically a gold standard.

That's why anything with or done by Sammo Hung is practically a gold standard.

Well you're going to be frothing at the mouth when you read one-armed boxers latest posting. Sammo is going to be choreographing for Tony Jaa!:xd:

One Armed Boxer
Well you're going to be frothing at the mouth when you read one-armed boxers latest posting. Sammo is going to be choreographing for Tony Jaa!

Ha ha....except I didn't realize OpiumKungFuCracker had beaten me to it by posting a thread in the General Discussion forum (I thought it was more Modern Martial Arts myself!)....and my post got integrated into that one.

Kind of makes me look like an idiot, as half way through the thread it looks like I'm suddenly posting a link to the article which is what the whole conversation is about, but nevermind!

Ha ha....except I didn't realize OpiumKungFuCracker had beaten me to it by posting a thread in the General Discussion forum (I thought it was more Modern Martial Arts myself!)....and my post got integrated into that one.

Kind of makes me look like an idiot, as half way through the thread it looks like I'm suddenly posting a link to the article which is what the whole conversation is about, but nevermind!

You're absolutely right it should definitely be in the modern martial-arts Cinema Forum not in the general forum. Really it should be copied over to here. Anyway thanks for the heads up even if you were beaten to it, I read the thread in here.:tongue:

Don't forget that Leung Kar Yan was a non martial artist too.
This isn't really true though. Before he auditioned for Shaws in the early '70s he had no previous, but said himself in interview that LKL drilled him pretty hard in southern martials amongst others from the off-set. By the time he was really working the old school era he had spent time hard training, working kung fu everyday, practicing alongside the best in the business. The best classic choreo is taken from creative understanding of kung fu application stretched out & controlled. He understood & demonstrated proper mechanics, application & understanding. You can't fake that stuff.

The scene isn't bursting with work like the old days, even if you found someone athletically pre-disposed to take to proper kung, they wouldn't work them hard & consistent like in the old days for them to grasp it like Beardy. That man started out non, ended up proper. In those days performers couldn't fake it, they had to grasp it. Situation's & technology changed.

Cognoscente

They should implement a social program where young offenders are forced to live in a military-style commune which is basically a prison as well as an academy for future action stars.

How they're punished for doing things wrong will be another story altogether.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 1