Bedevilled (2010)

make believe

make believe

I finally got to see this one. Very well made and captivating but unfortunately not without its flaws. Particularly the way it ends. I won't get into it here but if anyone seen it, then they should have left well enough alone and not continued it with an extended ending.. Still I suppose the rest of it makes up for it. While not perfect, it's still a pretty good revenge film, that lightly borders (too little unfortunately) on the exploitation side.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

Yeah this one violent ass movie.. She's one crazy ass bitch, I don't really blame her though.. Her family is a bunch of crazy coots!!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Another watch with my better half...

BEDEVILLED (2010, South Korea) A drama/horror film about a selfish, nasty, Seoul-based business-woman that revisits her birth-place. It's a little island with a population of only nine! Can't really say more without spoiling it, except, the islanders aren't the most well-adjusted people you're ever going to see in a film. :crossedlips: The story really takes it time developing all the characters and circumstances, and is beautifully shot. Things don't get nuts until near the end, but the performances from the entire cast (especially the little girl) keep you riveted. 7.5/10

I have the Blu-ray sitting at home still sealed - I will try to give it a watch before the summer is over.

I have a lot of catching up to do - I am buying & buying and not much watching.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I have the Blu-ray sitting at home still sealed - I will try to give it a watch before the summer is over.

Yes, I hear you. The "too-watch" pile is more like a mountain!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Stop buying now!!!! Or, give me half your loot and I'll hold it for you until you've been caught up!!

Yes, I hear you. The "too-watch" pile is more like a mountain!
My wife do more watching than me. At first she was complaining that I keep buying but not watching; But she always ask for a part 2 (or other parts) after watching a movie with me or by herself (which she does alot).

Recently, I find myself watching (and enjoying) more Dramas than Martial arts movies; actually I would pop in a drama in the Blu-ray player before I pop in a martial arts movie.

One of my favorite movies so far this year is "No Tears for the Dead"......sorry "Raid 2" I enjoyed that movie more than I enjoyed you.

Stop buying now!!!! Or, give me half your loot and I'll hold it for you until you've been caught up!!
UPS, Fedex, DHL & the post office said that they do not deliver to Space Center. :tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
My wife do more watching than me. At first she was complaining that I keep buying but not watching; But she always ask for a part 2 (or other parts) after watching a movie with me or by herself (which she does alot).

Good deflection of blame. I can see you have had practice. :angel:

Recently, I find myself watching (and enjoying) more Dramas than Martial arts movies; actually I would pop in a drama in the Blu-ray player before I pop in a martial arts movie.

One of my favorite movies so far this year is "No Tears for the Dead"......sorry "Raid 2" I enjoyed that movie more than I enjoyed you.

Hmmm... never heard of that one. I'll have to check it out.

UPS, Fedex, DHL & the post office said that they do not deliver to Space Center. :tongue:

Oh, you must not have heard... OpiumKungFuCracker no longer lives on the Space Center. He was kicked off for being "too far out" and now lives in a castle on his own private meteor. :bigsmile:

Secret Executioner

Welcome to the party, pal.

One Armed Boxer

Hmmm... never heard of that one. I'll have to check it out.

Hey KFB, 'No Tears for the Dead' was the final English title which was settled on for the new movie from the director of 'The Man from Nowhere', it was originally going to be called 'The Crying Man'. Thread is here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21618

Oh, you must not have heard... OpiumKungFuCracker no longer lives on the Space Center. He was kicked off for being "too far out" and now lives in a castle on his own private meteor. :bigsmile:
Oh, silly me, I thought that he was building his own island....from scratch. :bigsmile:

Hey KFB, 'No Tears for the Dead' was the final English title which was settled on for the new movie from the director of 'The Man from Nowhere', it was originally going to be called 'The Crying Man'. Thread is here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21618

Just about every article I read about the movie keep saying that it is "A love story between a professional hitman and his next target" - which it is not. It looks like the people who write these articles/reviews have never seen the movie.

Long story short without giving to much info: - SPOILER BELOW: spoiler tags not seems to be working.

A Hitman while carrying out his last job accidentally kills a little girl (he shot at a door when he heard noise outside it - she was walking outside searching for him to give him a paper crane he left on his table). His "boss" tells him that the job was not complete as they didn't get "the package" (basically shitload of money) they wanted, so he have to carryout one more mission for them.

That last hit turns out to be the mother of the little girl he just killed.

Different groups of killers are dispatched - some after other people (for the "package") and he after the mother.

Not to give to much away.....

He stakeout his target and ready to kill but instead he ends up "protecting" her while going toe-to-toe with the other killers which includes his "former" partner.

Oh wait, this thread is about Bedevilled. :2:

Secret Executioner
Oh, silly me, I thought that he was building his own island....from scratch. :bigsmile:

Didn't one of his ancestors build a castle on a swamp though ? :wink:

Another watch with my better half...

BEDEVILLED (2010, South Korea) A drama/horror film about a selfish, nasty, Seoul-based business-woman that revisits her birth-place. It's a little island with a population of only nine! Can't really say more without spoiling it, except, the islanders aren't the most well-adjusted people you're ever going to see in a film. :crossedlips: The story really takes it time developing all the characters and circumstances, and is beautifully shot. Things don't get nuts until near the end, but the performances from the entire cast (especially the little girl) keep you riveted. 7.5/10

I had a few hours to myself as the wife & kid went out to Jolibee's by themselves to have lunch.

I enjoyed it & agree on everything that KFB said above.

The cast were great but I especially loved the performance of Seo Young-hee. She won numerous best actress awards for that role and it is well deserved.

I give it 8/10.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Hey KFB, 'No Tears for the Dead' was the final English title which was settled on for the new movie from the director of 'The Man from Nowhere', it was originally going to be called 'The Crying Man'.

Thanks man. I will check it out.

I had a few hours to myself as the wife & kid went out to Jolibee's by themselves to have lunch.

I enjoyed it & agree on everything that KFB said above.

The cast were great but I especially loved the performance of Seo Young-hee. She won numerous best actress awards for that role and it is well deserved.

I give it 8/10.

Glad you finally got to see it (and had some "alone time" too). I was equally impressed with both of the lead actresses. Great performances!

One Armed Boxer

This is a movie I’ve owned for a long time, but for various reasons only got around to watching it for the first time recently. What an experience. It may be a strech to refer to ‘Bedevilled’ as “entertaining”, however it’s certainly rewarding. There’s a lot to sink your teeth into, particularly the part around how far turning a blind eye when you have the power to right a wrong makes you complicit in the crime. 

However more than anything, ‘Bedevilled’ feels like the most damning indictment of Confucianism ever comitted to screen. Sure other Korean thrillers have used the rural setting that still values the Confucian society structure (‘Moss’, also from 2010, springs to mind) as a backdrop, however none have been so unflinchingly focussed on the way such a structure places women at the bottom as we see in ‘Bedevilled’. It’s not the island that creates the suffocating environment, its the inhabitants of it, with the elders whose authority can never be questioned and the men who dictate the womens lives, frequently with their fists. 

Kim Bok-nam (which is also the Korean title) is a protagonist who is put through the wringer both emotionally and physically, and when she’s pushed too far, it feels as cathartic for the audience as it does for the character we’re watching onscreen. A great movie from a decade when Korean cinema felt like it could do no wrong.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 6/28/2020 at 7:44 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

This is a movie I’ve owned for a long time, but for various reasons only got around to watching it for the first time recently. What an experience. It may be a strech to refer to ‘Bedevilled’ as “entertaining”, however it’s certainly rewarding. There’s a lot to sink your teeth into, particularly the part around how far turning a blind eye when you have the power to right a wrong makes you complicit in the crime. 

However more than anything, ‘Bedevilled’ feels like the most damning indictment of Confucianism ever comitted to screen. Sure other Korean thrillers have used the rural setting that still values the Confucian society structure (‘Moss’, also from 2010, springs to mind) as a backdrop, however none have been so unflinchingly focussed on the way such a structure places women at the bottom as we see in ‘Bedevilled’. It’s not the island that creates the suffocating environment, its the inhabitants of it, with the elders whose authority can never be questioned and the men who dictate the womens lives, frequently with their fists. 

Kim Bok-nam (which is also the Korean title) is a protagonist who is put through the wringer both emotionally and physically, and when she’s pushed too far, it feels as cathartic for the audience as it does for the character we’re watching onscreen. A great movie from a decade when Korean cinema felt like it could do no wrong.

Ah. glad you finally watched it.

Yeah. it's "rough" entertainment despite how good it is. Very interesting points about Confucianism.

Archived