Tai Chi (2011) - Jet Li/Stephen Fung collaboration

AlbertV

With the recent mention of Jet Li's potential TAI CHI movie, I thought I would start a new thread.

The film will be directed by Stephen Fung, his fourth film as a director. Fung, a second generation Hong Kong star (his mother is a former Shaw Brothers actress, Sek Yin), directed ENTER THE PHOENIX, HOUSE OF FURY, and JUMP!

TAI CHI will be the first film for the recently established Diversion Pictures, a new independent film company formed by Stephen Fung and Daniel Wu. Fung is the CEO of Diversion Pictures while Wu is the chairman. Diversion Pictures signed a five-year contract with Huayi Brothers, who will help them with producing and financing their films.

TAI CHI is scheduled to begin shooting in June.

Source: JPopAsia

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

I've never seen or heard of ENTER THE PHOENIX or JUMP!

I really enjoyed HOUSE OF FURY. Are they on par with that?

I've never seen or heard of ENTER THE PHOENIX or JUMP!

I really enjoyed HOUSE OF FURY. Are they on par with that?

ENTER THE PHOENIX was more of a Triad/gay comedy actioner. It starred Daniel Wu as the gay son of a Triad boss who is summoned to take over the gang when his father dies...oh I should mention that Yuen Biao played Wu's dad in the opening. However, in a case of mistaken identity, Wu's best friend, Eason Chan, is mistaken for Wu and becomes the new leader.

Fung also played the film's nemesis, the underling of a rival boss who was after Wu's father for the death of his own father. He learns of the "secret" and tries to expose it.

There is some martial arts fighting in it, with Wu going all wushu with a sword while Fung resorts to more kickboxing style.

It has its moments mainly in the comedic department...Nicholas Tse has a memorable cameo and Chapman To was hilarious as was Stephen Chow regular Lee Kin-Yan.

I haven't seen JUMP! I do know that it stars Kitty Zhang of CJ7 and SHAOLIN GIRL. Stephen Chow produced the film and originally Edison Chen was to have played the male lead but his photo scandal ruined that and he was replaced with Leon Jay Williams. I think it was supposed to be about a kung fu girl who wanted to dance. Something of that nature.

ShaOW!linDude
Jump is just pure awful.. one of the worst movie ever. Skip it

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind.

So, ENTER THE PHOENIX........I get it's more of a comedy but the MA is good? Bad? This worth owning at some point?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind.

So, ENTER THE PHOENIX........I get it's more of a comedy but the MA is good? Bad? This worth owning at some point?

If you can get past all the gay jokes the movie overall isn't bad IMO. The MA is not too bad. There was just a bit of wirework on Fung's part but does well in the kickboxing department nonetheless, but Wu, who was a college wushu champion (even formed his own wushu team in Oregon), does quite nifty with the long sword.

One Armed Boxer
Looks like Jet won't be in this film. Instead they plan to make a trilogy with Jet in part 2.

There should really be a new thread created called "Thread about upcoming Jet Li movies that Jet Li isn't actually in!".....first there was the 'Shaolin' thread, and now this one!:tongue:

Update:

According to Impact, originally Jet Li was to star and Andy Cheng was going to serve as action director, but both Cheng and Li are out.

ChineseFilms.CN has gotten confirmation that it will be a trilogy with the following titles:

TAICHI 0 (ZERO)

TAICHI HERO

TAICHI SUMMIT

ShaOW!linDude

Hmm. It seems that Jet Li is more interested in films with more fantastical, dramatic flair than in doing anymore MA movies. Hopefully all this was, was a creative difference. Hoping he'll find a good modern actioner to do (unlike his last couple of ones). He needs to do something along the lines of Yen's SPL or FLASHPOINT.

Archived