Daredevil Reboot - Slade is Directing

AlbertV

After 2003's Ben Affleck-starrer, Marvel Comics' blind superhero DAREDEVIL is now getting a reboot of his own.

It was recently announced that David Slade (30 DAYS OF NIGHT, TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE) will be directing the film.

Of course, now the casting rumors have begun. One rumored named that was shot down immediately was Robert Pattinson (those Twi-Hard fans can be desperate), which he himself said he had no idea where that came from.

Other names rumored were Garrett Hedlund (DEATH SENTENCE, TRON: LEGACY) and Bradley Cooper (THE HANGOVER, THE A-TEAM)

Slade said this about directing DAREDEVIL

"In regards to "Daredevil" - "So without breaking confidentiality, yes Daredevil, we have a great outline for a very strong character driven take on Mr Matt Murdock. It will bare no relation to the previous Daredevil movie in any way. We are at early planning stages and have not yet discussed any cast."

Source: Dark Horizons

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh - Daredevil. The Ben Affleck film really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I had a written a DD spec back in 1998 (inspired by the events of DD #181) and got a lot of positive buzz about it. My agent at the time had finally gotten it into the hands of the head man at Marvel Media out in LA and then *poof* he up and resigns and my script is cast into limbo (because in HWood, it seems the replacement never wants to touch what their predecessor may or may not have been working on).

Anyway, sometime later the DD project finally gets greenlighted, a script is done and we have Ben in tights. Sigh. I did enjoy the director's cut much better than the theatrical release though. Colin Farrell played an awesome Bullseye. Reminded me a lot of the character I created for my script.

I posted my script on-line in 1999 and I still get some nice comments from time to time:

http://www.teako170.com/ddintro.html

Hope the reboot does the franchise justice. DD is one of the classic Stan Lee icons of the Marvelverse and deserves better than what we got with "Bennifer."

It's likely they will pick some rising television star to play that role. I don't watch television at all i refuse, but i searched some

names other people mentioned and finally came up with someone suiting Daredevil. His look also befits Matt Murdock closer

to the character as defined by Frank Miller in the early 80's. If you search for photos of Misha Collins you may not see what

i see at first, but if you continue to look you might. I thought the first Daredevil was going well all the way up to the point the

character of Bullseye was introduced. I have no idea who played him he was the worst choice for any role hero or villian to

date. Bullseye never had a goatee, im pretty the Bullseye was never burned onto the forehead of a short hairless young

boyish man (a boyman) with a irish accent either. He was tall and the Bullseye was on his mask above the eyes.

ShaOW!linDude

I'm glad they're doing another DD. I understand that Fox probably decided to before the character rights reverted back to Marvel.

The Affleck version was alright (the DC is the best). While it wasn't necessarily the best depiction of the character(s), I still found it to be enjoyable. Unlike other superhero movies, it's one I rewatch on occasion.

I'm interested to see what gets done with the character this time around.

It was announced that TV writer/producer Brad Kane (FRINGE) will be taking over scripting duties for the Daredevil reboot. As for David Slade, he mentioned that there may be some big news coming in this week about the reboot.

ShaOW!linDude

Looks like the idea is to tap the "Born Again" storyline from issue #'s 227 - 233. The only thing that sux about that to me is the villain learns DD's secret identity. Why is this always a crutch to rely on?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167509-brad-caleb-kane-to-draft-daredevil

Really hope they do a good job of casting this, hopefully someone in their late 20's/early 30's who could stick with the franchise for a few films.

Kennedy Il Sung

I really enjoyed the Director's Cut of the original Daredevil movie. I shouldn't say I'm surprised at a reboot, I just wonder when this Superhero Craze will die down a bit.

daisho2004
I just wonder when this Superhero Craze will die down a bit.

The SuperHero kick is just getting started!

Kennedy Il Sung

It feels like it has been going on since the first X-Men film in 2000, just now they are really pumping them out .

It has kicked into overdrive...

Thor came out May 6, X-Men: First Class was out last week, Green Lantern comes out next Friday, Captain America comes out July 22...

Yes, don't expect the Superhero craze to die down anytime soon

Archived