arnold's movies 80's or 90's??

Guest zeus

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kenichiku

Oh you mean our current governor here in Cali? Well...

The original Conan rules, none of the others can compare...the role he was born to play without having to read too many lines...one of the most complex being "crush your enemies, cast them before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!"

The vastly underrrated low key 'Raw Deal'; he's Euro & so is the flavor of this flick.

C'mon, two real US governors in one flick, Him n' Jesse in the same unit hunting the 'Predator'..."if it bleeds, we can kill it"

He was too fresh in the 80s...of the new, got a little stale but a couple stood out for my tastes:

'Eraser', liked it more for it's appealing casting around Arnold, even the CGI alligators

'End of Days' he played it dark & blasphemous, loved it!

...the rest, I just have no desire to revisit.

Guest limubai2000

Conan is one of the definitive fantasy films of all time. Great all around film. Too bad they can't pull off another one like that. Wouldn't mind seeing the X-rated footage that was cut but Arnie blocked it in court.

Commando, I loved this movie as a kid. I bought the DVD and watch it now and again while working on PC. Great fun.

"Remember when I said I'd kill you last..."

Predator, I really can't say enough about this one. Next to Alien and Aliens this is the definitive humans vs alien film. I remember my friends and I walking to the theater in the 100+ degree heat in Phoenix to watch this, and being so blown away, we paid to see it 2 times! We were that speechless after seeing it he first time! Still to this day the entire film holds up well, arguably better than any sci-fi movie since. And they didn't use CGI! McTiernan did a great job on this and Die Hard, arguably his 2 best films, ever.

I second Keni on the End of Days, I liked the dark tone of that one and the "unhappy" ending. Good film. Eraser I could have done without but the strong cast held it together, I watched it in Japanese dub while staying in Japan last year, that was intersting...

Guest Soda drink

definitely 80's! arnold was the man...

classic

terminator

conan

predator

commando

raw deal

twins lol

running man - funny but corny one liners

some of his early 90's

terminator 2

eraser

i liked terminator 3 too.

Guest GerardH

The Austrian Oak is the man. For me, Commando is the movie of choice. Definitely one of the raddest movies ever man. There's too many classic parts about this movie to list but the favorite is the following exchange bewteen Rae Dawn Chong and Arnold after Arnold drops David Patrick Kelly off the side of a cliff:

"What happened to Sully"

"I had to let him go"

:rollin

Others I liked are Predator, Conan, and the Terminator

Guest Daisho2004

His 80's movies were the best, Conan was Great he could've made a lot more in the Franchise, the Destroyer I thought kinda sucked. But T2 was the best for his 90's movies.

Daisho2004

Guest darkjedi69

Running Man, Commando, Predator, Red Sonja, Red Heat and The Terminator were all very good.

Believe it or not my fave Arnie film of the lat 6 years is 'End of Days'.

I liked that.

Guest Markgway

I have these on DVD:

The Terminator

Commando

Predator

Total Recall

Terminator 2

True Lies

Eraser

Collateral Damage

Which means I like them a lot.

Didn't rate the Conan movies. The first was is boring as hell. The second was more watchable I think. Raw Deal is kinda cheap looking and has the worst theme song ever! But I wouldn't mind revisiting it in 2.35 some day. The Running Man I might pick up as I liked it when I was a kid. Bit fussier now. Red Heat has always been a middling title for me. It's good-ish, but good enough to own? Twins am not bother about. Kindergarten Cop was fun, but all DVDs are crappy full-frame. Last Action Hero was not the unmittigated disaster critics claimed, but it's ultimately too OTT and for every smart gag there's a silly bit. Batman & Robin: Er, do I have to explain why? End of Days was uneven. I liked the dark, violent edge and Arnie gave a good performance. May watch this again sometime. T3 was obviously the weakest of the trilogy, but not crap thankfully. Mostow is no Cameron.

Guest gfanikf

I love his 80's work.

Commando is one of my all time favorite action films (its both awesome and incredibly cheesy at the same time). I could just do a thread of a the amazing things that that film taught me (props to Andy at badmovies.org for coming up with the idea). Theres a fan review of the film there but these are my own.

1. All sporting goods stores secretly have an amory in the back you just need to hit the button under the counter.

2. A rocket launcer is an effective way to safely disable a police wagon you just need to read the instructions.

3. Freddie Mecury was really buff and pyscho at the end (the actor who played him even jokes about looking like FM)

Anyone else have some others?

Guest ShaofuSage

I liked Commando cause I had a "thing" for Rae Dawn Chong. Don't know why, she's not the most beautiful chick out there, but damn it, there was just something about her that had me mesmorized. Oh yea, and Arnold was good too.

Oh, by the way - "Who is your daddy, and what does he do?" - Kindergarten Cop, Arnold's most quoted movie ;)

Guest mcentepede

Gotta agree...Commando was one of Arnie's best movie ever. Here's the one liners one more time:

"Remember when I said I'd Kill you last?....I lied"

"I eat Green Berets for breakfast"

"Please don't disturb my friend...he's DEAD tired"

"Let off some steam, Bennet"

"I like you Sulley, you're funny...I think I'll kill you last"

Guest Markgway

Earlier I wrote this:

Raw Deal is kinda cheap looking and has the worst theme song ever! But I wouldn't mind revisiting it in 2.35 some day.

Well, since then I did revisit RAW DEAL on DVD in a nice 2.35/16:9 DVD transfer from Momentum. Much better than I remembered. Scope framing really helps. The movies still doesn't look big budget, but then neither did Commando I suppose. In fact, the slightly gritty feel actually helps in retrospect. If you haven't seen this on DVD might be worth giving another shot.

EDIT: The Ricky Skaggs theme song still sucks! :o

Guest Markgway
The fist fights are really original in Raw Deal. And Mark, that end shootout is very good, hey?

The fights are quite realistic with great thud sound effects. Check out Arnie cracking some dudes face with his knee in an alley. Ouch! The gunfights are 80's style (in other words pre-John Woo influence) but do the job nicely. The bad guys get it in bloody shotgun fashion. :D

Guest leung jarn

Conan The Barbarian

Terminator (1984)

Predator. (love Jesse Ventura's line "Ain't got time to bleed")

Superb.

Commando is also good for a larf.

Raw Deal was better than expected, too.

Even some of his later films I enjoyed.

Eraser

True Lies

6th Day

I think I was the only one who enjoyed Last action Hero (might have had summat to do with Tesla doing the theme song)

Guest JOEVIKINGSNJ

Most of his movies were really bad to just bad.

Only ones I like are Terminator 2 and End of Days

Couple others that I can bare to watch if I have to are, Total Recall and True Lies.

The Rest were horrible, and you'd have to pay me to watch them.

what happened to king conan: crown of iron(?)..

best: conan the barbarian (destroyer ruined it).. predator .. terminator 1 & 2 .. total recall .. running man .. kindergarten cop (yeh)

Guest actionjackson

COMMANDO <--- all time favourite!

also: Predator, Red Heat, True Lies, Running Man, Eraser, Total Recall, Last Action Hero.

Didn't like anything he did post-Eraser. Collateral Damange, End of Days and the 6th Day were all lacking in the kind of action and mayhem I expect from Arnie.

Guest Markgway

Actually I was surprised at how entertaining COLLATERAL DAMAGE was. It harked back to the kind of bullets 'n' explosions movies Joel Silver used to be good at. I agree that otherwise Arnie hasn't has much success since ERASER.

Archived