New UK Bruce Lee Releases!

johnoverall

Killer Meteor
Uncut versions (shouldn't be an issue)

Subtitles (not dubtitles)

Original Mandarin Mono (and English dubs for those who prefer)

Progressive HD master (genuine 1080p if BD)

Dislikes:

Pinkification (see Fist of Fury)

Remixes (A 40 year old movie does not need 7.1 DTS, thank you)

Downmixes (we know how mono should sound and aren't fooled - don't think this affected any of the Bruce Lee films mind)

That's it for now...... :tongue:

Its important that Cine Asia checks the mono tracks are in sync too.

Going from the Fox "Ultimate" DVDs...

BIG BOSS (Mandarin) - out of sync during the fight between Bruce and Tony Liu

WAY OF THE DRAGON (Mandarin) - Both of the dialogue scenes with the black guy are out of sync

GAME OF DEATH - the sound is off when Chi Hon Tsoi opens the curtains as the sound effect of Bruce running up the stairs is repeated from the previous shot oddly.

Other observations...

BIG BOSS (english dub on HKL and FOX dvds) - wrong dub during the river scene.

English dub on the HKL DVD of FIST OF FURY has replaced sound FX in the first few fights, and the sequence omits Bruce's final cry and the Chinese song in favour of poorly done new foley and flippin Mike Remidios (shudder...)

And can we PLEASE have a good 16:9 PAL transfer of the Hong Kong edit of GAME OF DEATH complete with the Chi Hon Tsoi fight back in the Tower sequence???

I think its really important a proper message is compiled here and sent to Cine Asia post haste!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hasimir Fenring
Great news. Most of the HKL catalogue are OOP so this may afford us the chance to catch up on what we missed (and hopefully see a few improvements along the way).

There were a few, such as Dreadnaught, that I missed and have been unable to find at anything remotely resembling a reasonable price, so hopefully it gets a reissue. I was gutted when the label closed, but I suppose it was inevitable after Bey Logan and Brian White moved to Dragon Dynasty.

What I want to see is the Hwang Jang Lee interview Mike Leeder did for the Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master 2-disc sets that never saw the light of day. Bey's doing commentaries for Cine-Asia too, so I'm getting a little too excited :D

Guest Markgway
Both of the dialogue scenes with the black guy are out of sync

Racism!!! :tongue:

There were a few, such as Dreadnaught, that I missed and have been unable to find at anything remotely resembling a reasonable price

I think most fans missed that one before it went OOP after about a week!

I'm just not psyched at all by this news. I already have all the old HKL DVDs that I want, so unless they intend to issue movies never put out by HKL, I won't be picking any up. We need some new movies, ones never put out before, not the 101st version of Fist of Fury or Drunken Master. Maybe they could pick up some of the titles put out by HKV in France and release them with English subs.

I disagree.

Drunken Master needs a proper 2:35-1 widescreen release with full Cantonese track.

Big Boss with Mono Mandarin

Nice to see proper HD blu rays not just upconverts, we shall see

I disagree.

Drunken Master needs a proper 2:35-1 widescreen release with full Cantonese track.

If you're talking blu-rays, then that's a different matter. But the HKV French release of Drunken Master has full Canto audio, they should do as I said and release that with English subs. When it comes to audio specs, I'm obviously not as picky as some. If it looks good and sounds good, then it's good enough for me.

Killer Meteor
If you're talking blu-rays, then that's a different matter. But the HKV French release of Drunken Master has full Canto audio, they should do as I said and release that with English subs. When it comes to audio specs, I'm obviously not as picky as some. If it looks good and sounds good, then it's good enough for me.

I don't think HKL has Drunken Master anymore, as its now on DVD in the UK from Sony.

If HKL had left DM in 2.35:1, I would have been content - I quite like the Mandarin track for that film. But no, they had to crop it to appeal to alleged teenagers :(

Hasimir Fenring
I think most fans missed that one before it went OOP after about a week!

Yeah, they vanished pretty quick... I managed to get Knockabout, but Dreadnaught eluded me. The only time I saw it, I had no money at all. Wasn't impressed. There were some Premier Asia titles I wanted too. I managed virtually all the ones I was after, just missed some of the later ones.

Hopefully not too many of them suffer from rights issues. I know a few of DD's titles are OOP due to them no longer having access to Fortune Star's library, which is a shame.

I'm just not psyched at all by this news. I already have all the old HKL DVDs that I want, so unless they intend to issue movies never put out by HKL, I won't be picking any up. We need some new movies, ones never put out before, not the 101st version of Fist of Fury or Drunken Master. Maybe they could pick up some of the titles put out by HKV in France and release them with English subs.

I'd love them to get the rights to some of the earliest to mid 70's Golden Harvest films such as Invincible Eight, Lady Whirlwind, One Armed Boxer, Beach of the War Gods,The Stormy Sun with proper mono tracks (mandarin and english) and any other super-duper mixes they wanted to-but I wouldn't use!:neutral:

Hasimir Fenring
I'd love them to get the rights to some of the earliest to mid 70's Golden Harvest films such as Invincible Eight, Lady Whirlwind, One Armed Boxer, Beach of the War Gods,The Stormy Sun with proper mono tracks (mandarin and english) and any other super-duper mixes they wanted to-but I wouldn't use!:neutral:

I hope they can manage to get Warners to release the movies they hold the rights to.

At the risk of opening a can of worms as usually happens when this is mentioned but....It would be good to have the fully uncut Mandarin print of Big Boss present...doubt it will ever happen though.

Hasimir Fenring
At the risk of opening a can of worms as usually happens when this is mentioned but....It would be good to have the fully uncut Mandarin print of Big Boss present...doubt it will ever happen though.

HKL tried. The guy that owns the print apparently refused to let them release a copy. Selfish git.

AndyWayne84
I disagree.

Agreed. Drunken Master does need to re-leased with the full Cantonese track, with newlt transfered English Subs too.

I hope someday someone releases a Legit uncut verison of Drunken Master 2.

Hasimir Fenring
Don't get me started on collectors............................................

I'm not fond of them either.

OpiumKungFuCracker
HKL tried. The guy that owns the print apparently refused to let them release a copy. Selfish git.

What a fucking asshole... Why be that selfish, would't he have been paid if HKL wanted to make copies of it??? Share the magic with everyone...

AndyWayne84
What a fucking asshole... Why be that selfish, would't he have been paid if HKL wanted to make copies of it??? Share the magic with everyone...

Agreed. He's a greedy Son of Bitch not sharing what us Bruce Lee fans want to see. I just hope the spirit of Bruce knocks into the wall with his one inch punch.

Not sure i believe that. There's a lot more to releasing a film then just borrowing a print off of someone!..Fortune Star own the rights to the Lee films and its them that would have to give permission to release it, not some private collector.

Look what happened to George Tan when he tried to release Big Boss with the original English dub. They jumped on him like a ton of bricks and stopped the release.

Hasimir Fenring
Not sure i believe that. There's a lot more to releasing a film then just borrowing a print off of someone!..Fortune Star own the rights to the Lee films and its them that would have to give permission to release it, not some private collector.

Look what happened to George Tan when he tried to release Big Boss with the original English dub. They jumped on him like a ton of bricks and stopped the release.

That's what I remember hearing Bey say (or what he wrote, one or the other). HKL had the Fortune Star licence at the time. I somewhat suspect Fortune Star would have loved to get hold of a copy themselves.

Son Of A Gun

Is everyone forgetting? In a thread somewhere David Rees told everyone that Steve Kerridge did not own the uncut Big Boss. It was just a rumour that started and he went along with it for a laugh. So since that is the case, we can't blame anyone right now for not sharing their copy of the uncut print. We don't know who the hell has a copy.

Yikes! I just contributed to hijacking this thread into becoming another ''Big Boss Uncut debate''. :crossedlips:

Hasimir Fenring
Is everyone forgetting? In a thread somewhere David Rees told everyone that Steve Kerridge did not own the uncut Big Boss. It was just a rumour that started and he went along with it for a laugh. So since that is the case, we can't blame anyone right now for not sharing their copy of the uncut print. We don't know who the hell has a copy.

Yikes! I just contributed to hijacking this thread into becoming another ''Big Boss Uncut debate''. :crossedlips:

In my case, there's a difference between forgetting and not knowing. That's provided it's the same guy of course. If it is, then I doubt there's a print in existence. The owner would have been laughing all the way to the bank if it did...

Archived