The Spiritual Boxer

Nakadai

theshawbrotherscollecti.jpg

Anyone have experience with the Momentum release? What's the best available release? What are everyone's thoughts on the film?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, its non-anamorphic if I remember correctly, but has a very clear, detailed picture with rich colors and rather strong blacks. Don't know the IVL, but assume that the Momentum would be the better choice.

I found myself liking this light-hearted and rambunctious LKL romp a lot. Wonderful outdoor locations and finely drawn characters make it a real treat to watch. But definitely not recommended for MA heads who expect a high fight-quotient!

Well seeing how the IVL is OOP your comments were most helpful! Thank you. Shame it's letterboxed but there's a fair chance the IVL could be also. As long as it's not outrageously interlaced i'm good to go. This is one of the few lau kar leung shaws i've yet to see so i'm looking forward to it.

I love this movie. A few summers ago I held an impromptu "festival" of my entire collection (500+ titles at the time) and rated Spritual Boxer as the gold prize winner.

Mostly it was just me watching films all summer HA, but this and Boxer from Shangtung came out on top of all the Chang Cheh, LKL, Sun Chung's, etc.

My IVL print was excellent

I haven't watched this in a while, but I'm pretty sure the IVL is anamorphic. Fun movie--not in the top tier of LKL's movies, IMO, but enjoyable enough.

The UK disc also has original mono sound.. The HK IVL has awful remix with added sound fx. So this dvd is ok, apart from being non-anamorphic.

If you're in the UK I noticed HMV has all the momentum Shaws inc this one for just £3 on their shelves. Bargain.

I can confirm the IVL is anamorphic from torrent listings online. Glad to hear about the mono on the momentum. I'm in the US so no go on the HMV. There's a listing on eBay at just over $11 shipped to the US for anyone else interested. I'll post my thoughts on the film after mine gets here.

I have the IVL.

This was one of the last LKL films for me to see. I kept putting it off thinking, since it was his first directing gig, it would not be as good as some of his other productions. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this film was. Wong Yu did a bang up job here.

spirit_boxer.jpg

Southern Screen; August 1975

Archived