Harakiri

Guest Ninja Sinai

Guest Ninja Sinai

The Ninjas first post on the new forum. I must say though I miss the new look of the old forum! lol

Anyway what can I say about the classic Harakiri. This 1962 movie directed by Masaki Kobayashi is one of the MOST powerful movies I have ever seen in my life! It is really a tremendous example of outstanding film making. The cinematography is absolutely exceptional! However it is the haunting plot of a master samurai expressing the meaningless and worthless flawed belief of the samurai spirit which grips the viewer.

Tatsuya Nakadais mighty performance in Harakiri further proves for me, that he is without a doubt one of best actors in the history of film. This man takes on his roles with such prowess that it is quite easy for the viewer to forget that you have seen him play a different role in another movie.

By the way - The Criterion 2 disk DVD version is mint! An a MUST HAVE in any fans collection.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Agreed. This film is one of the top five of all samurai films. As for Tatsuya Nakadai, well it can easily be said, that he is without question one of the finest actors in cinematic history. IMHO

Great choice Ninja!! This is my all time favourite Samurai film. It has everything..great action, superb performances and masterful storytelling.

The Criterion 2 discer sits proudly amongst my collection! :D

Guest kungfusamurai

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I didn't enjoy this film. I mean, I don't enjoy it the way other people seem to enjoy it. I thought the story was great, but I found it somewhat long and drawn out. And the fighting at the end was a huge disappointment. Perhaps I was hoping Nakadai would open up a can of whoop-ass and come out on top in the end or something more magnificent.

I'm not someone who is finicky with my samurai flicks. I like all kinds, some that have very little action but lots of talking. Samurai Rebellion is a good example of this, where the fighting just happens at the end. But for whatever reason, I found Harakiri only so so.

KFS

Guest daisho2004

KFS, I felt the same way it was a good movie a little slow, and the action was OK but there wasn't a whole lot as some of the Guys stated.

It's all about Nakadai, his performance is one of the greatest of all time, his narration through out the movie is very haunting, in essence he's already a dead man, the fight in the wind blown field against Tetsuro Tamba is really the payoff to this film.

the fight in the wind blown field against Tetsuro Tamba is really the payoff to this film.

Exactly, that is one of the best filmed duels in Japanese cinema. It is really cool to see how they have to handle the wind. Of course...

“Swordsmanship untested in battle is like swimming on landâ€Â

KC

one of the best filmed duels in Japanese cinema.

My favorite to, I liked how he tells how he was caught at a disadvantage as Tetsuro Tamba's character comes looking for him, then explains how he hadn't drawn his blade in battle for 15 years!

Guest pigmode
Exactly, that is one of the best filmed duels in Japanese cinema. It is really cool to see how they have to handle the wind. Of course...

“Swordsmanship untested in battle is like swimming on landâ€Â

KC

Good quote--major dis to the Ii clan. Also the build up to the duel, the walk through the cemetary.

Archived