Bruce Lee Newspaper Clippings: Needles, MJ and blows to the head!

mpm74

Phantom Dreamer

Judge rules that New York's state ban on nunchucks is unconstitutional.

Judge Pamela Chen issued the ruling about the famous martial arts weapon last Friday in a Brooklyn federal court, according to The Associated Press. 

The news service noted that Chen's ruling recounted the history of the nunchucks ban, which was instituted in New York in 1974 "out of a concern that, as a result of the rising popularity 'of 'Kung Fu' movies and shows,′ 'various circles of the state's youth' - including 'muggers and street gangs' - were 'widely' using nunchaku to cause 'many serious injuries.'"

The plaintiff in the case, James Maloney, was charged with possession of nunchucks, two rigid rods connected at one end by a chain or rope, in his home in 2000.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/421807-judge-rules-against-new-york-state-ban-on-nunchucks

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
On 12/17/2018 at 5:53 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

Judge rules that New York's state ban on nunchucks is unconstitutional.

Judge Pamela Chen issued the ruling about the famous martial arts weapon last Friday in a Brooklyn federal court, according to The Associated Press. 

The news service noted that Chen's ruling recounted the history of the nunchucks ban, which was instituted in New York in 1974 "out of a concern that, as a result of the rising popularity 'of 'Kung Fu' movies and shows,′ 'various circles of the state's youth' - including 'muggers and street gangs' - were 'widely' using nunchaku to cause 'many serious injuries.'"

The plaintiff in the case, James Maloney, was charged with possession of nunchucks, two rigid rods connected at one end by a chain or rope, in his home in 2000.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/421807-judge-rules-against-new-york-state-ban-on-nunchucks

Thiessen: I was arrested for having nunchucks in New York

https://elkodaily.com/opinion/columnists/thiessen-i-was-arrested-for-having-nunchucks-in-new-york/article_23ee26cb-2a61-5efc-ad24-32262cba70d3.amp.html

When news broke last week that a federal judge had ruled a New York law banning possession of nunchucks unconstitutional, I felt vindicated. You see, as a teenager growing up in New York City in the 1980s, I was arrested and thrown in jail for illegal possession of nunchucks. Really.

During high school, I got into Bruce Lee martial-arts movies. Long before Mayor Rudy Giuliani turned Times Square into a family-friendly theme park, there was a movie theater on Broadway that showed nonstop kung-fu fare. Over summer break, I would go to see Lee movies such as “Game of Death,” “Fist of Fury” and “Enter the Dragon,” Lee’s last film before his death from cerebral edema at age 32 in 1973. The highlight of every Lee movie, for me, was when he picked up a pair of nunchucks — two short sticks connected by a steel swivel chain — and began swinging them around his body, taking out dozens of enemy fighters.

• Like 1

Bruce Lee was a bit of a stoner.

Despite rumors that Lee was a teetotaler, Lee occasionally drank and was especially fond of sake. The sparseness was partially for health reasons (aside from wanting his body in peak physical form, Lee also likely suffered from alcohol flush reaction, an enzyme deficiency common among East Asians) and partially because he liked cannabis better. Steve McQueen introduced Lee to marijuana, and the drug quickly became his favorite. He once arrived at a friend’s house and passed out cigar-sized blunts. When told that only one is typically used and passed from person to person, Lee replied, “No need to share. I want everyone to have their own.” In fact, according to his Enter the Dragon costar Bob Wall, it took two hash brownies to calm the active Lee down into “a normal human.”

From Bruce Lee's big break to his tragic death: 8 gems gleaned from a new biography

Link- https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/bruce-lee-gems-gleaned-from-new-biography

Bruce+Lee.gif

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Source- https://www.newspapers.com/clip/25589869/daily_news_ny_bruce_lees_death/

Clipped from Daily News, 23 Jul 1973, Mon,  20

img?institutionId=0&user=0&id=465016329&

Source- https://www.newspapers.com/clip/5366527/detroit_free_press/

Clipped from Detroit Free Press, 04 Sep 1973, Tue,  Page 32

img?institutionId=0&user=0&id=98239776&w

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Phantom Dreamer

Thinking about the things that have made a real lasting impact. Things worth remembering. 

Mike Moh talks about playing Bruce Lee

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/once-a-time-hollywood-actor-mike-moh-playing-bruce-lee-1208321
Moh, whose credits include roles on Fox's Empire and ABC's Marvel series Inhumans, had flown to Los Angeles to audition for the new season of Issa Rae's HBO comedy Insecure. The session was run by Victoria Thomas, who at the time also happened to be casting for Tarantino's 1960s-set film, They were search of a Bruce Lee and asked Moh to audition. 

"This is literally what I had been waiting for," says Moh, who first saw Lee's Enter the Dragon in grade school and started practicing tae kwon do at 12. He moved to L.A. after college to pursue acting, but Moh and his wife, Richelle, chose to raise their children (ages 4, 6 and 😎 in the small Madison suburb of Waunakee, where — like Lee — he runs his own martial arts studio: Moh's Martial Arts.

• Like 1

Cognoscente
On 7/18/2012 at 2:41 PM, sdog2006 said:

We're descending into Col Mustard with the smoking gun now, or Mr Chow with the poisoned stash I suppose

It's bullshit fellas!

Chow and Lee may have had business differences but this isn't Murder She Wrote. Do any of you think, for a second, that Raymond Chow has the guts to kill someone?

AND

Would he have the guts to taint someone's cannabis to do it lol?:tongue:

If I was going to kill someone via poison and someone saved his life the first time then I would go to Plan B.

Shoot the bastard!

I wouldn't poison him again with the same stuff lol.

If they went through with shooting Bruce then there would have been people in HK rioting for justice, and never ceasing to relent unless someone is arrested. Even if the shooter had been arrested (or if they had found a patsy or party to pin the blame on), Bruce would have been a martyr whose death inspires the public to revolt against the Triads like the famous 1992 march that was led by Jackie Chan.

• Like 2

Cognoscente
On 7/18/2012 at 5:02 AM, daisho2004 said:

OK I'm going to put another spin on this, a good friend of Mine who passed away many years ago Keith Nelson was a true Martial Artists. He studied under Grand Master Carter Wong aka 18 Bronze-men whom I also met in person. But one of his other M.A. instructors was the disciple of Grand Master William M. Cheung Wing Chun Master who was best friends of Bruce Lee. He would tell his students stories about growing up with Bruce Lee. And he said that Bruce was poisoned by Raymond Chow of Golden Harvest because Bruce wanted to leave his company and start his own company in the US, so they had Bruce poisoned. That makes for an interesting theory as well, and quite honestly a really good motive.

If you go to the below link, you will find a 1983 article with quotes from William Cheung about Bruce's death. In short, William insists that it wasn't the Triads who killed him; Bruce was killed by Betty Ting Pei because she had gambling debts. She was also being paid to inform on Bruce by the same person who paid off her gambling debts after Bruce died - Raymond Chow.

Four days before Bruce died, he made an ominous phone call to William (who relayed this info to Bruce's mother). William was going to make a movie about Bruce's death but with names changed like Robert Clouse's Game of Death, but like what happened with James DeMile's biopic...the project fell through.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/random-thoughts-t4429-s40.html#p33872

• Like 2

Cognoscente

Press-Courier, July 21 1973.

33? The Iron Hand? The Chinese Box?

"He had an 11-room home, a Porsche, and a gold-trimmed custom Rolls-Royce," a Warner Bros. spokesman said. (?)

press-courier 21 jul 73.jpg

• Like 2

Coliseum1972

Might've been 11 rooms but not a big house at all , been there myself 2010......but property like that in HK is expensive though

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 12:30 AM, Phantom Dreamer said:

A Family Divided. So this is where the awful rendering came from.

s-l400 (5).jpg

Does anyone have a clear version of this image? Would love to read it. =)

• Like 2

Cognoscente

I had to access a "text only" format of a cached version from the South China Morning Post site because it wouldn't let me view it for free in the regular HTML setting.

Bruce Lee's legacy leaves a family divided

As an exhibition opens to mark the 40th anniversary of the kung fu icon's death, his relatives are still at odds over the rights to his enduring legend.

Forty years to the day after his untimely death, the legend of Bruce Lee lives on: a cultural icon of Hong Kong, a great exponent of the martial arts and a philosopher whose words continue to serve as an inspiration, bonding people of different generations and cultures across the world. And there are hopes that the anniversary will go some way to restoring the bond between people who have had more than their fair share of differences over the years - the Lee family.

The opening of the biggest ever museum exhibition devoted to Bruce's life and work yesterday brought Bruce's elder sister Phoebe and nephew Clarence - the son of Bruce's younger brother Robert - face to face with Bruce's daughter Shannon. It's rare for Bruce's siblings to share a stage with his daughter or his widow, Linda Lee Cadwell. The two sides of the family have often pursued projects devoted to Bruce separately. What little communication there has been has more often come in the form of e-mail exchanges and letters from lawyers, rather than heartwarming phone calls and family gatherings.

"Let bygones be bygones," Phoebe, 74, said on the eve of the opening of the exhibition at the Heritage Museum in Sha Tin. "It feels so much better if you let it go. We share the same family name after all."

The division in the Lee family is no secret. Distance (most live in different parts of the United States) is one reason. Cultural differences also come into play, with Lee's siblings forming a traditional Chinese family. Shannon and Cadwell, who has remarried twice since Bruce's death, are all-American. "We are not on bad terms," Shannon said. "We just don't communicate very often."

But Robert, speaking from the US, has a different take. "I wish Bruce wasn't that famous in that respect," he said. "We could have a real, complete family."

At the crux of the family feud are the lucrative rights to Bruce's name, image and work. The controversy has been reignited by the Bruce Lee: Kung Fu, Art, Life exhibition, which opens to the public today and runs for five years. Robert said his side of the family has been shunned by organisers after they got in touch with the Bruce Lee Foundation, a charity headed by Shannon and Cadwell. "Three years ago, the museum approached me and Phoebe on the exhibition," Robert recalled, describing a lunch with Leisure and Cultural Services Department officials in San Francisco. He said he and Phoebe even proposed installing a replica of their childhood home at 218 Nathan Road from the set of the 2010 biopic Bruce Lee, My Brother, for which Robert served as an executive producer. The museum liked the suggestion. But he said: "We didn't hear anything from them. We didn't know what was going on."

He later realised the museum had teamed up with Shannon for the exhibition, in which more than 400 out of the 600 exhibits come from the foundation's collection. Sources say the government museum simply wanted to stay out of family affairs. But the handling of the matter certainly upset Robert, Phoebe and their sister Agnes, who demanded the museum remove the film set just one month ago, saying they owned the intellectual property rights. Rights issues have become an unshakable problem for the Lee family since Bruce's death from acute cerebral edema.

Records of the office of the secretary of state of California show that in 1985, Cadwell, Lee's late son Brandon and Shannon made claims as successor - interest to the rights of a deceased personality under California code Section 3344.1. The code offers protection of the rights to a person "whose name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness has commercial value at the time of his or her death" for the immediate family - a surviving spouse, children, grandchildren, or surviving parent or grandparents. Public records show Cadwell claimed 50 per cent of "all types of rights" as Lee's surviving spouse under the name Linda Lee. Brandon and Shannon each claimed 25 per cent as Lee's surviving children. Shannon was just four when Bruce died. "We were never aware of those actions as we never bothered to check," Robert said. "Our family never knew whether he [made inheritance plans] as we never asked. We never thought he would pass at the age of 32."

The Bruce Lee Foundation was established in 2002 as a charity to promote Bruce's legacy. Shannon serves as president and it is chaired by Cadwell. In 2008, the family's successor-in-interest rights were handed on to Bruce Lee Enterprises, in addition to rights retrieved from Universal Studios, Shannon said. She explained that Bruce Lee Enterprises was an in-house licensing division, handling everything from T-shirts to a much-criticised commercial for Johnnie Walker whisky. The advert was premiered last week and uses computer-generated imagery and an actor to portray Bruce.

There is also the LeeWay Media Group, which handles productions such as the 2009 History Channel documentary How Bruce Lee Changed the World and the 50-episode television series The Legend of Bruce Lee, aired on CCTV on the mainland in 2008. Shannon was executive producer for both shows. The foundation is also working to raise US$35 million to build Bruce Lee Action Museum in Seattle, Shannon said. All these structured efforts enable Cadwell and Shannon to exercise a strict control over the use of Bruce's name, image, likeness and all related material.

Bruce's siblings have no involvement with the trust. Johnnie Walker has to license the rights to digitally "revive" Bruce for the company, Shannon said. Thus, entering legal disputes with others has become a routine for Bruce Lee Enterprises since it was incorporated. It has taken retailers like Target and Urban Outfitters to court for selling T-shirts bearing the images of Bruce without authorisation. "The rights of the dead to keep earning are clear," attorney Oscar Michelen said in a commentary on the case on his blog Courtroom Strategy.

In 2010, Shannon brought the copyright campaign to China, accusing firms and individuals of using Bruce's name and image without family authorisation. She also reportedly asked the local government of Shunde, a district of Foshan, Guangdong, that is the Lee family's ancestral home, to hand the trademark to Bruce's name and image to the family and the Bruce Lee Foundation for free. In June, LeeWay Media entered a copyright dispute with Laurence Joachim and the Trans-National Film Corporation, who claimed they had the rights to Bruce's first Hollywood screen test.

The eight-minute 1965 clip was featured in I Am Bruce Lee, a documentary released last year and produced by LeeWay Media. And stringent copyright enforcement didn't just apply to those outside the family. Kris Storti, chief operating officer and general counsel of Bruce Lee Enterprises, said in a 2009 press release: "We are redoubling our efforts around the world. We are absolutely committed to a vigorous protection of the Bruce Lee brand and our intellectual property, and plan to pursue legal action whenever necessary."

In reference to the film Bruce Lee, My Brother, Storti added: "This, unfortunately, includes the recently announced biopic by JA Media and Robert Lee."

Media Asia, which co-produced the movie with JA Media, and another investor received legal letters from Shannon's lawyer before the movie was released in 2010. "[Storti told] them they did not have the right to use Bruce Lee's image or likeness," said Robert, who co-produced the film, based on stories told by him and his two sisters. He said before the film went into production, he tried to involve Shannon by giving her the details of the investors. "Then she didn't want to work with me. She wanted the whole deal to herself," he said. "We don't talk as much as I would like to. They don't want to collaborate with us. We are one family. There is no reason why we shouldn't collaborate. We share different parts of Bruce's life."

When the Bruce Lee Club of Hong Kong, of which Phoebe and Robert are honorary chairman, raised the money for the iconic statue of Bruce on the Avenue of Stars in Tsim Sha Tsui in 2005, they reached out to Shannon. But she chose not to get involved. "I'm not trying to take over the Bruce Lee empire," said Robert. "I will [soon] be 65 and semi-retired. I'm not interested in pursuing anything. If they think I'm trying to make money, I haven't done except for from the movie."

He says the two books he wrote about Bruce - one in Chinese, the other in Japanese - sold only 1,000 copies each. Shannon, who plans to produce a film based on a script by her father, tells a different story. "I hear things … like I have heard some people say my uncle claims they have certain intellectual property rights prior to the day [Bruce] married my mother. [Robert] has certainly never said that to me. I asked about it and he denied he had ever said that," Shannon said. "Certainly it wouldn't have been true. That's not how the law works."

Robert said: "Our family was never sued, but received threatening cease-and-desist letters from Linda's ex-attorney. I stopped talking to Linda."

Clarence, who lives in Macau and Hong Kong, said: "I'm speaking not just for this family but for any family. To speak through lawyers is kind of wrong."

He said his father and aunts were frustrated, as they wanted only to share their experiences with fans interested in Bruce's childhood. Robert recalled a family that was closer back then, supporting each other when Bruce died even though Bruce's siblings were in the US when the news broke. Phoebe moved to the US with her American-born Chinese husband 43 years ago. Robert lived in the US at the time and returned to Hong Kong in 1975 to build his music career. When Bruce's mother died in 1996 - three years after a tragic accident on the set of the film The Crow claimed Brandon's life - Shannon, then 27, did not attend the funeral.

"They [Shannon and Cadwell] did not visit mother during her last months and they did not attend her funeral," Robert said. Bruce's siblings say it is a far cry from Bruce's attitude to his family. Phoebe, who is two years older than Bruce, said her beloved brother made family his top priority. She remembered the delight of her father, Cantonese opera maestro Lee Hoi-chuen, when he learned of Brandon's birth in the United States. "He was very happy because it was the first grandchild and a son. You know what a son means in Chinese tradition," she said. One week later, Lee Hoi-chuen passed away in his sleep. Bruce rushed back from California to attend the funeral. Phoebe said Bruce was devastated that he could not bid farewell to his father in person. "He walked on his knees from the outside to the altar. He was in tears, and I said to him, 'Don't cry, brother'," Phoebe recalled.

Phoebe is reluctant to speak about her relationship with Shannon and Cadwell. She said she didn't really communicate with Cadwell and blamed her poor English. She still attended the exhibition's opening last night because she was proud of her brother's achievements and is still loved by fans around the world. Robert thinks a misunderstanding must be behind the family rift, though he isn't sure what it was. "Even if something happened between my mum and Linda, let bygones be bygones," he said. Robert will not attend the exhibition, but he has asked Clarence, 33, to speak to Shannon. "I said to him, 'She's your elder. Go see her and talk to her'," he said. Clarence sees the exhibition as a chance to catch up with his cousin. "She's trying very hard to promote the legacy of her father the way she wants," he said. And Robert has just one hope left for his brother's legacy. "I just wish one day things would work out. I hope all this can be resolved before my two sisters and I die," he said. "Let's tear the wall down."

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1