13 ASSASSINS on VOD March 25th

Karlos

Wow, that's....very different in parts!

So all the talk of the cuts being essentially one 20 minute scene were clearly false.

I can see why Miike would opt to cut some of it and, like Lionclaw, I think I'll stick to the international version.

The film works better for me without the more extreme Miike moments i.e bend over, Grandpa! :tongue:

LOL! I love your last sentence. That grandpa part was even more extreme then the huge penis bit. Since when do demons have huge penis's? I thought they just had huge noses. :tongue:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

So.........Koyata's "sword" swings both ways, eh?:tongue:

(I'm sorry, that was awful.)

OpiumKungFuCracker
LOL! I love your last sentence. That grandpa part was even more extreme then the huge penis bit. Since when do demons have huge penis's? I thought they just had huge noses. :tongue:

Unless they're Jewish...

******spoiler**********

from wikipedia:

"throughout the film, it is hinted that kiga is not a human, as the woman he talks about, upashi, is seen in a flashback eating raw meat by a pond, blood is shown trickling down her legs; and this may be due to her consumption of her unborn fetus, an act a demon would perform. The type of demon upashi and kiga are may not be evil, but rather like mountain spirits. Upon meeting him, kiga says he was abandoned for laying his hands on the boss's woman. This statement has two meanings, as he does not say that he is a bandit, mercenary, or soldier, but someone who hunts animals from mountain to mountain. Therefore, by "the boss", he could mean the head yoki—the yoki were a type of demon from folklore."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_assassins

Well now that I've read some about the excised scenes, that particular character arc would have made more sense if I'd seen them. I'm still not sure I'd have understood the character completely, but I would at least have thought, "hmmmm, something out of the ordinary with him" (other than he's got an enormous penis... Yowza...! :tinysmile_angry2_t: )

DeathFuMaster

Is there a uncut version of this movie with good English subs? I have seen the Magnet release on Netflix and plan to buy it. I really want both versions of the movie if the uncut version is available with subs.

Is there a uncut version of this movie with good English subs? I have seen the Magnet release on Netflix and plan to buy it. I really want both versions of the movie if the uncut version is available with subs.

Same question here, just saw the International version, loved it and want to see the Japanese cut. Of course the Japanese blu-ray has no English subtitles. :cry:

I've never really understood that... oh well.

There's no official English subbed release of the original cut.

And while we're at it, my comments (Int. Version)

13 Assassins (Japan, 2010) – 3/5

Takashi Miike goes chanbara in a solid but underwritten reimagining of the 1963 Eiichi Kudo classics. The fittingly dark storyline takes its time to build up for the 45 minute non-stop action finale, but falls a bit short as soon as swords start clashing. The massive battle scene is impressive, but relies too much on kamikaze-techniques at the expense of inventiveness. Furthermore, with 13 main characters even 90 minutes is not enough to establish truly memorable characters – only a handful of them come out with recognizable personalities. Nevertheless, the film is an entertaining and well made samurai romp that pushes the Japanese pg-12 rating to the edge with its violent action. “Miike factor” is kept to a minimum, although a few notable touches surface. Koji Yakusho, Takayuki Yamada and Hiroki Matsukata lead the quality cast.

There's no official English subbed release of the original cut.

And while we're at it, my comments (Int. Version)

I'd have to agree for the most part, but I really enjoyed the epic battle part. It was such non-stop action that I couldn't really pick apart the choreography. I did however really enjoy the swordwork of Hiroki Matsukata. Don't know what his background is or if they cleverly undercranked his fights, but for his age he was really slick.

Interested to hear your take on the Koyata Saga character (taking into account the scenes cut from the International version). Also, did the "Miike factor" include the blood tidal wave erupting over the house? That one caught me by surprise, but in a good way.

Wow, wow, freaking brilliant Samurai film, this is the Miike I want to see more of, his calling is bringing back the Samurai genre! That final is what I want out of my Samurai movies, the huge wooden (CG)gates were a bit over the top but the battle was brutal - Total Massacre - they said 200 hundred men but it had to be more like 300. The guy at the end was a wtf? but I see the cut scenes explain it a little better, think this is a case where it's served better cut. Really you could of just cut the part out where he lived, either way it's Miike.

The villain was superb, a sadistic rich little prick, you just couldn't wait for him to get his comeuppance, I loved how he wriggled in pain in the mud for 5 minutes or so.

• Administrator
Wow, wow, freaking brilliant Samurai film, this is the Miike I want to see more of, his calling is bringing back the Samurai genre! That final is what I want out of my Samurai movies

I agree- this film is damn good. Sadly, for me Miike's chanbara follow up was not up to par. His remake of HARI-KIRI was impressive in every regard save for... the action. :ooh: After the huge film-long build up, I thought the swordplay was exceptionally weak. What a disappointment, and a big surprise after the high quality katana action in 13 ASSASSINS. It's truly a shame because the lead's acting performance is wonderful, but he was so lackluster with the sword. Goes to show- performers like Katsu (best of both worlds) simply don't grow on trees (if they did, who wouldn't want a nice Zatoichi bonsai tree in the garden?). Just wanted to warn you.

Archived