13 ASSASSINS on VOD March 25th

Karlos

Hi all

Just seen that Miike's newie, 13 Assassins, is available thru VOD (Video on Demand) from March 25th.

My question to you all is this: is this US only?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

Heard all kinds of high praise for this film.. Can't wait to check this one out, love me some old skool chanbara films...

I just finished watching this after ordering it on XBOX live.

Great film. 9/10. Not as good as Miike's Graveyard of Honor, and Man In White, but still pretty damn awesome.

Watching Mr. Hiroki who is nearing seventy years old move in this was amazing. Guy is pretty fast for an old person.

Movie still retains Miike's touches every now then, but this is one of his more straight laced films.

Only qualm I had was after a certain character was brutally murdered he just appears in the end like a cartoon character.

Still amazing movie, and I must tell everyone to go order this film.

samuraisteve

Awesome movie ! Watched it the other night on Xbox. Looked into buying the Bluray , but have not seen it offered with english subtitles.:sad:

Hey, it's also going to be shown free on HDNet Movies (because they own Landmark Theatres who have the exclusive US theatrical release) at the end of the month... I think on the 27th.

Got the chance to sit down and finish viewing this over the weekend and I can only echo the rave reviews it's been getting - what a film!

Wonderful performances all round from the cast and I take my hat off to Miike who has delivered a truly great, badass Samurai flick.

The finale is breathtaking in it's ferocity, and there's some real "stand and cheer" moments, too.

Watch at the first opportunity, guys!

I totally agree, it's a real headscratcher!

I think it's meant to indicate that Naritsugu had only imagined he'd killed him.

As shown during the very last scenes, he was otherwise utterly useless when it came to fighting.

If that is the case, it was sloppily done.

But I could be wrong!

ShaOW!linDude

My thanks top Karlos for hooking me up with this.

Great film. The plot, the cinematography, the characters,and the acting are all top notch. The villain is a positively amoral sociopath who has total disregard/disdain for the common people and arrogant expectations for his bodyguards to protect him as he acquiesces to every selfish wish.

The action is really good. Honestly, I expected to see more in the way of decapitations and dismemberments, especially during the finale. Not a lot of blood splatter either.

I think the reappearance of that one character at the end was actually a manifestation of his spirit.......like, his ghost.......but that's me.

Hey, it's also going to be shown free on HDNet Movies (because they own Landmark Theatres who have the exclusive US theatrical release) at the end of the month... I think on the 27th.

Yep, HDNet is showing it three times next Wed., April 27 at about 4 p.m., 7 p.m. and 11:30 p.m.

That channel won't let me DVR the movie though! Bastards. I'll be watching though.

waywardsage

Just watched it! Amazing! It's awesome to see a good new samurai flick. Let hope it brings more to the fore.

David Rees

I must be missing something...

it was ok, but not amazing in my view, perhaps i should watch it again.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

waywardsage

Not sure if this is way out in left field, but I sorta got the feeling he was a Kami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kami

He didn't handle any technology and referred to Samurai as not including himself. There was a real rustic aura about him.

It wouldn't match with the rest of the film, but it was the impression I got.

ShaOW!linDude

Dude, I don't thinks that's way out in left field at all. You may be onto something. It would make sense.

daisho2004

OK I just finally got to finish watching this movie last night and I thought it was Excellent! Who said the Samurai genre was Dead! Great stroyline and the action at the end was one of the best I've ever seen. I do have to agree with everyone I didn't get the ending with the character living, but I do think it was just a spirit telling him that there is no need to be a Samurai to live! Either way I cannot wait to get this movie on BR!

daisho2004

JFYI: This is getting a US release date on: July 5, 2011 its up for preorder on Amazon.com

Running time: 122 minutes.

ShaOW!linDude

Wonder if they cut something. The copy I got from Karlos ran 125 minutes. I'll have to double check that but I feel pretty confident about that as I only watched it about 3 weeks ago or so.

Yes, the so-called "international cut" runs to around 120 mins or so.

The full Japanese version omits a "brothel scene" which runs for around 20 minutes and takes place immediately before the final skirmish.

Think Miike said something like, he thought that Western audiences would be jonesing for the fight fight too much and wouldn't miss this scene so it was chopped.

As for getting the full version on DVD or BD, as far as I can see there's none out there at the moment with English subs. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

daisho2004

Well for once the version I seen was great, I wouldn't mind an extended version of this film as long as it flows...Don't know what took place at the brothel so I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

Archived