Fight heavy films...

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

I'm sure this has been discussed on plenty of occasions but after watching "10 Magnificent Killers" over the weekend, a film that quite obviously ignores plot in order to showcase fights, I'm wondering what other movies really rely on pure action to movie the film along.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Secret Rivals 2 and Invincible Armour..... almost to the point of it getting tiresome!

Drunken Monk
Chang Cheh's Shanghai 13 comes to mind

I've always wanted a decent version of this film to be released on DVD. I had, at some point, a horribly bootlegged VHS copy but was never able to sit through more than about ten minutes.

I hope to be able to watch a good version in the future.

Secret Rivals 2 and Invincible Armour..... almost to the point of it getting tiresome!

Secret Rivals 2 must be THE most fight heavy movie out there. Whereas the first (inferior) installment was very talky and slow, the sequel has like, what.. five minutes of dialogue? As you say, even though I love the movie and the fights are excellent, it can almost be a bit too much with that much fighting when watching a whole movie.

Other movies that I can think of are 7 Grandmasters, Born Invincible, Shaolin vs. Lama, Death Duel of Kung Fu, Shaolin Intruders (Shaw Brothers), and the outrageous movie Ninja Hunter.

ShaOW!linDude

Heroes of the East

It's a little slow on the uptake what with the sexual and cultural rivalries in play. But when the different Japanese masters arrive and the duels start..........Dude! It's on like a chicken bone!

Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena is pretty fight heavy, too.

Boxer from Shangtung. I think Chen Kuan Tai kills the entire cast

What?! Boxer from Shantung is probably one of the movies I'd say is NOT based around it's fighting scenes. It's got phenomenal actors, settings and story compared to 99% of kung fu movies I've seen. Also, it really doesn't have that much fighting in it. Sure the end fight is long and extremely brutal, but that's the case for almost any movie in the genre. Thanks for reminding me of this movie though! I let a friend borrow it several years ago, now I have to ask it back from her.

Non stop fighting can be a good or bad thing. Two examples:

The One Armed Boxer has about as much fighting per minute as any film I've ever seen. And it never stops being interesting or fun to watch.

Secret Rivals 2 actually has too much fighting and it wears out it's welcome.

Drunken Monk

I may have to pop "Secret Rivals 2" in the DVD player tonight and give it a watch. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

I agree that some films heavy with fights get tedious. I felt that way about "10 Magnificent Killers."

What?! Boxer from Shantung is probably one of the movies I'd say is NOT based around it's fighting scenes. It's got phenomenal actors, settings and story compared to 99% of kung fu movies I've seen. Also, it really doesn't have that much fighting in it. Sure the end fight is long and extremely brutal, but that's the case for almost any movie in the genre. Thanks for reminding me of this movie though! I let a friend borrow it several years ago, now I have to ask it back from her.

You're right, bad choice... I always found it amusing that NO ONE was left standing except Chen Kuan Tai, and him just barely

I may have to pop "Secret Rivals 2" in the DVD player tonight and give it a watch. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

I agree that some films heavy with fights get tedious. I felt that way about "10 Magnificent Killers."

SR2 does have good quality fighting in it, but it just never built up to anything and by the final fight, I just wanted it to end. See what you think...

Morgoth Bauglir

Shanghai 13 hell yeah. Quite a nice gift to fu fans from Chang Cheh. Also Duel of the 7 Tigers, Little Superman, Ninja in the Dragon's Den and Buddha's Palm and Dragon Fist.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Five Superfighters and Monkey Kung Fu are two of the most fight heavy movies I can recall. I'm pretty sure the dialogue in Monkey Kung Fu hold in one page in very big characters...

Deadly Challenger

Rebellious Reign

The Loot

7 Steps

Any robert tai movie cept shaolin chastity kung fu

Of Cooks and Kung Fu

Most indie old schoolers post 78 had lots of fighting in em

Archived