Stars that never got fame that they deserved?

MG Lerox

I agree on Chen Shan, but wasn't he in prison or something? Kind put a damper on his output. He was a bad dude. James Tien never had star quality IMO. Neither did Jackie Chan, but it didn't stop him haha

Yeah Chen Shan used to spend some time in jail because getting in fight with cops i think. James Tien was very good actor in my opinion i think that he deservs much more fame then he actually have.

The Silver Fox

Ricky Cheng. I think he is one of the most talented martial artist/acrobats ever, but he only had a couple of starring roles. I guess that is pretty much the story for most of the Venom crew, they had their run and most of them faded into obscurity. The only one to have a significant career post Venoms is Philip Kwok.

... Yasuaki Kurata

???

Kurata made a living in Hong Kong with the Shaws before returning to Japan. I hink he's one of the pioneers at least from the villain standpoint.

Lau Wing, Goo Goon Chung or Chi Kuan Chun come to mind...

And Wei Pai would be an obvious choice for me... (Call me predictable. :angel: ) Not a particularly versatile actor and definitely not a superstar material - but he IMHO had more potential that he is usually given credit for.

Lau Wing got one title claim to fame as that dude in all the Bruce flicks, plus he got a load of Shaw leads for a legacy. Then around the time Shaws shut up shop he apparently mutilated his wife's face with a knife in a row, before fleeing Hong Kong to avoid justice. Was apparently massive scandal at the time in HK. Some people on this forum in the past posted about their remembrances of it from the press who ran pics of his missus - her face all carved up... that's why his career was quiet after Shaws.

BlackLamaFaction

Philip Ko Fei never lets me down. His on screen fighting ability was up there with the best. He's one of my favorite villains (Fist Kicks Evils, Fighting of Shaolin Monk, Cantonen Iron Kung Fu, Choy Lee Fut Kung Fu), and he did some good guys (7 Men of Kung Fu, Invincible Armor, 10 Brothers of Shaolin). He has been in so many great films, but almost never as a lead. I can't think of any films where he was the main hero. I see him as having all the ability and screen presence of a Wong Tao, Meng Fei, or Chi Kuan Chun even. He is certainly more exciting to watch than Carter Wong or John Liu. I guess I'll never understand why he wasn't a bigger star.

Drunken Monk

I know many people recognize him but I don't think Chung Fat really got the recognition he deserved. He shines in some many films and yet never seemed to get proper shine.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Philip Ko Fei never lets me down. His on screen fighting ability was up there with the best. He's one of my favorite villains (Fist Kicks Evils, Fighting of Shaolin Monk, Cantonen Iron Kung Fu, Choy Lee Fut Kung Fu), and he did some good guys (7 Men of Kung Fu, Invincible Armor, 10 Brothers of Shaolin). He has been in so many great films, but almost never as a lead. I can't think of any films where he was the main hero. I see him as having all the ability and screen presence of a Wong Tao, Meng Fei, or Chi Kuan Chun even. He is certainly more exciting to watch than Carter Wong or John Liu. I guess I'll never understand why he wasn't a bigger star.

He was the hero in Tiger Over Wall, and a decent one at that.

Lau Wing got one title claim to fame as that dude in all the Bruce flicks, plus he got a load of Shaw leads for a legacy. Then around the time Shaws shut up shop he apparently mutilated his wife's face with a knife in a row, before fleeing Hong Kong to avoid justice. Was apparently massive scandal at the time in HK. Some people on this forum in the past posted about their remembrances of it from the press who ran pics of his missus - her face all carved up... that's why his career was quiet after Shaws.

I didn't know that....what a crazy sonofabitch....I hope he got his.....

Chu Ko (Late Venom Mob member) Probably the most acrobatic and flexible on-screen fighter I've ever seen. He also had a very distinct look. Makes the coolest entry to a fight scene ever as the second chief in the end fight of Masked Avengers.

Ng Gwan Lung: Snake Deadly Act was his only (!) role in a movie. He did excellent in that one so I can't really figure out why on earth he wasn't in at least a few more.

The Last Dragon

I would say Billy Chong definitely. He was great in Fistful of Talons, Super Power, Crystal Fist just to name a few his fighting was very fluid and quick. Was also very acrobatic. Some may not like him perhaps but I thought he was underrated. I think that some of his films were independent which could have been why he never really became a star

I would say just about all the korean martial arts stars are terribly underrated: Benny Tsui, Elton Chong, Charles Han Yong Cheol, etc. Those guys were great.

Lau Wing got the fame he deserved. particularly when he was revealed as a face slashing bastard by the press.

I have read that story in one of the forums here. But how actors/actresses treat their wives/husbands, whether they pay taxes or whether they eat newborn infants for breakfast is of marginal interest to me...

What about Wang Lung Wei, he and his mustache got typecast pretty bad.

Agree. He was so friggin' awesome in Martial Club.... But right now I cannot recall any other non-baddie role of his. A real shame.

He was always the baddie. I can't think of one either. It's like trying to find a Hwang Jang Lee film where he's not an evil bastard