Tang Dynasty kung fu movies?

R.Ross

Hi all, I'm doing some research into the Tang Dynasty period (618-907 CE). Anyone know any good gong fu movies set in the era? Could be pre-1980 as well. Any help is much appreciated!

R

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that accurate, but Curse of the Golden Flower.

"When autumn comes on Double Ninth Festival,

My flower [the chrysanthemum] will bloom and all others perish.

When the sky-reaching fragrance of the flower permeates Chang'an,

The whole city will be clothed in golden armor."

-Huang Chao, in "On the Chrysanthemum, after failing the Imperial Examination."

(Original Chinese text: 待到秋來九月八,我花開後百花殺。沖天香陣透長安,滿城盡帶黃金甲。)

It's not that accurate, but Curse of the Golden Flower

Ah yes, one of my least favorite recent kung fu epics. :bigsmile: Might be worth a second look though.

Not kung-fu (but neither is CotGF...:-)) but reasonably close...

Chang Cheh's The Heroic Ones (1970)

It's set in the final years of Tang era and it's about the Shatuo Turks. (Founders of the Later Tang...) Historically inaccurate of course, but I guess noone really expects kung-fu and wuxia to be that...

Then there is of course Tsui Hark's Di Renjie...

Not kung-fu (but neither is CotGF...:-)) but reasonably close...

Chang Cheh's The Heroic Ones (1970)

It's set in the final years of Tang era and it's about the Shatuo Turks. (Founders of the Later Tang...) Historically inaccurate of course, but I guess noone really expects kung-fu and wuxia to be that...

Then there is of course Tsui Hark's Di Renjie...

Thanks, will check them. I have an old Judge Dee book I need to dig up as well.

It's interesting that the Shaolin temple was around in this era, but it seems most Shaolin movies focus on the late Ming/early Qing conflicts (late 1600's).

Thanks, will check them. I have an old Judge Dee book I need to dig up as well.

It's interesting that the Shaolin temple was around in this era, but it seems most Shaolin movies focus on the late Ming/early Qing conflicts (late 1600's).

Does the temple have any records from that dynasty? It seems like there is a big gap between the Northern Wei Dynasty and 1600s in the temple's history.

It's been a long time (over a decade) since I have seen it, but doesn't Shaolin Temple actually include figures involved with Li Yuan and the founding the Tang Dynasty?

Oh yeah, isn't Warriors of Heaven and Earth set during the conflicts with the Gokturks? That should be Tang Dynasty. What about (and I know this is not actually a Chinese film) The Silk Road? Isn't it around that time as well?

Not martial arts, but Shaw Brothers movies set in the Tang dynasty are Empress Wu, and Amorous Woman of Tang Dynasty. Not Shaw Brothers, but it's got Empress Wu and martial arts: Hsueh-Kang Crashed the Flower Lantern Fair (1970).

Archived