The Sorcerer and the White Snake

Is this any good? I don't like Jet Li and his films, yet I enjoyed the OUATIC series.

presumably, u`ll get a mixed feedback on this.

i actually liked it. underneath the sub par special fx (for a good part, its basically a green screen movie) there`s heart, theres a (more or less) coherent plot and solid screenplay, classic set pieces like u`d expect from a chinese ghost fantasy flick, theres decent performances, good pacing and some entertaining action sequences (if u can get past the often way odd looking cgi designs).

aside from the old school gung and the hk action blockbusters from the mid/late 80s, asian fantasy flicks is what i grew up on in terms of asian cinema & compared to these freaky deaky little gems (ie magic crystal, witch from nepal, seventh curse et al) it doesnt fail to deliver. it doesnt reinvent the genre; it doesnt intend to tho in the first place, quite on the contrary.

its certainly no KF flick, its not wuxia either. its a typical chinese ghost story, following the rules of this sub-genre to the letter.

its also NOT what one would perceive as a jet li movie. to me his part is that of an important supporting role and jet doesnt excel here, but hes okay. wouldnt have mattered if his character were played by someone else. jet proves he can downgrade to the range of s/o like ekin cheng ;-) i give the sorcerer and the white snake 6.7/10 upon first watch.

Was originally excited when I heard about this and after seeing some rough footage. I mean, the pairing of Ching Siu-tung and Jet Li after all these years? Hell yeah!

But what I got was CGI junk that looked like a cartoon half the time and the inclusion of the animated talking animals....? Not for me. Pass this one over to the kiddies...

Fingers crossed for Tsui Hark's Dragon Gate!

Iron_Leopard

I get people were expecting martial arts cause Jet Li was in it but I dont recall there being much, if any martial arts in "Green Snake".

• Like 1