The Sorcerer and the White Snake

The last time Ching Siu Tung, BY HIMSELF, directed a good movie was in 1983: Duel to the Death. That sure gives me a lot of hope for this movie

The latest title, The Sorcerer and the White Snake, is a big improvement over the previous working title for this film, which was "It's Love". (At least they're not calling it Panda and the Magic Serpent.) From my point of view on this story, the Buddhist priest is the villain.

AndyWayne84
I thought Jet Li was going to retire and do charity work? :ooh: I think this will be good! What a suprise I am wishing it well turn out well.:bigsmile::xd:

Either way i'm glad he didn't retire from making movies. I'm looking foward to see this Movie after hearing so much about it from my friends.

lillippa328

where did this pop out of the blue from? I thought he was doing a remake of Dragon Inn and then I also thought there was a movie with him and Michelle Yeoh again

The Last Dragon

Looks cool definitely can't go wrong with Jet LI. I agree as someone else posted. Wasn't there like another movie he was going to be in that was a remake of some sort

so is this a remake of Green Snake starring Maggie Cheung, Vincent Zhao?

Did he turn down New Shaolin Temple to do this?

where did this pop out of the blue from? I thought he was doing a remake of Dragon Inn and then I also thought there was a movie with him and Michelle Yeoh again

He already shot his scenes for Tsui Hark's Flying Swords of Dragon Inn. Jet only said he'd take about a year off to do the charity work and he already had done that. (In between THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM and OCEAN HEAVEN, his non-martial arts film)

As for New Shaolin Temple, or Shaolin as it is now called, he was never offered a role.

Looks cool, hopefully not too much wires. It'll be interesting to see which version of the Legend of the White Snake story they use.

It looks like this will be released in 3D as well (meh).

I noticed on the home page a story about how Jet Li is also working on a new Tai Chi movie as well.

The youtube video posted by Big Dandan on the Stuntpeople forums shows different footage and a more bearable Jet Li voice.

l5M49JAQ_yk

Just went to see this in a Guangzhou multiplex and it really was the mind-numbing CGI overkill I feared. Jet doesn’t really fight, he’s lost in CGI land, busts a few moves, summens his super-chi powers and directs magic rays (or the power of the elements) towards a veritable army of demons. Admittably amusing on occasions, full with talking snakes, rabbits and mice, watchable for kids from six years on, yes, its that kind of film. And, man, sometimes those CGI backdrops looked so excruciatingly silly that you’d just gasp (even the craggy Huangshan mountainscapes were computer-generated!). Makes you wonder where Ching Siu Tung is heading these days.

Just saw the film.....eh. It wasn't horrible...but it wasn't good either. I think like most, you're probably going to expect a Jet Li Kick butt film...but it was far from it. Not a martial arts film..just a little. Lots of crazy special effects that are okay, but not enough to care. That's not what bother me though...I could accept and did like the special effects. I could accept that it's not a martial arts film.

What bothered me is that it's a crappy love story. You will rarely see another film where somebody is so selfishly in love and willing to do almost anything..bad things to get that love. This just reminded me of the Amy Fisher story...but worst. There's very little logic in this film.

Could have been a great love story though.

Nah, didn’t expect this to be a MA film, no way. Alternative Chinese title is ITS LOVE…. If you’re familiar with the original tale you know it’s a love story. The hokey FX and the tawdry CG landscapes were more irritating to me than the sappy “love-after-the-first-underwater-kiss” story.