Lily Li as The Snake in 5 Venoms?

66 Mantis

Sorry if this topic was already posted. I went back a few pages and didn't see it listed.

I read somewhere (actually a couple of somwheres) that the role of the snake in 5 Venoms was originally supposed to be female and that the early favorite for the role was Lily Li. Apparently Chang Cheh changed it early on to male. Is this true? If so, I now feel mildly cheated. Still love 5 Venoms and have no complaints about Wei Pai's performance, but c'mon! How awesome would that have been for Lily Li to have played that part?! Damn that Chang Cheh and his all male brigade! :mad:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello 66mantis, I do know the role was written for a female, but I don't know what actress they had in mind. It could have been Lily li as during that time, she did become more of an action actress, or Ching li even as she was very popular at shaw bros, Chen ping would have done a good job as well. But it would have been very interesting to see a female in the role

Yeah Ching li, definately a missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned. I mentioned Lily Li as she was the only one I read about as an actual consideration for the part, but either of the others you mentioned would have been great too. For me, a darkhorse entry would've been Hsia Kwan Li. Although she wasn't employed by Shaw Bros. she did go to the same opera school (I think) as a couple of the others and would've made for a great token female venom.

For sure, 66mantis. Shaw bros could have borrowed Angela mao ying or Chia ling as they were top female fighters during that time as well. I have great respect for Chang Cheh as a director, but his obsession for male bonding, did cause some missed opportunity for a great female fighter to show her stuff.

Isn't the remake supposed to use a female?

:squigglemouth:

The proposed remake was apparently going to have a female using the Spider form of kung fu (whatever that is).

Morgoth Bauglir

Lily Li was a badass in One Foot Crane. Not enough big roles in her career. she would have been great as the snake.

Morgoth Bauglir
The proposed remake was apparently going to have a female using the Spider form of kung fu (whatever that is).

Like Spiderman:tongue: eLkrvnHHwGE

13 Cold Blooded Eagles

I wonder if Hui Ying-Hung was ever considered...might of been very interesting.

Hui Ying Hung would have definitely been top choice had the five deadly venoms been made in the 1980s when she was shaw's top female action star and if lau kar leung directed; but at that time, ying hung was getting small non action roles, so I knew she probably flew under the radar for that part.

Archived