Lion vs Lion (Tokyo Shock) 6/28

mpm74

I don't blame you for cringing when you see their name. And it's sad, because their SB releases have been some of the best. Hell, they at least still try to have a trailer or two for extras, while Dragon Dynasty has completely given up on any extras. Their SB blu-rays have been pretty damn good too (even if Deadly Duo was a bit too edge enhanced).

Hell, I'm still wondering what they may potentially have up their sleeves for Chinatown Kid... but that's the final film of "wave 2", so that may be a long ways away :squigglemouth:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazon emailed me this change in the estimated arrival date:

" "Lion Vs Lion" Estimated arrival date: August 04 2011 - August 12 2011"

You don't see many distributors championing these type of films. It's like they're satisfied with people randomly buying the titles at whim. They're selling the market short. Then again I could just be talking out my ass again, but I can't help but feel if these releases were marketed with a little more gusto their sales would reflect that...

Wish you was right, Nakadai ! But I don’t think its a case of marketing this product with „more gusto“… Realistically speaking the market for those kinda flicks is simply ultra-sluggish at the moment. My feeling is that TS / MB don't have an additional penny to spend on extra marketing efforts because they (and others) are probably already on the verge of going belly up…

Yeah Im sure they have their logical reasons. I'd rather wait for a well prepared meal with heart and health put into it, rather than rush out to Taco Bell and continue to clog my artiries.

Well, you could order from the low calorie Fresco menu :wink:

Noelle Shadow Kick

You know how Tokyo Shock puts numbers on the sides of their Shaw releases? What number are they up to now?

You know how Tokyo Shock puts numbers on the sides of their Shaw releases? What number are they up to now?

I think Lion vs. Lion would be lucky number 13.

Noelle Shadow Kick
I think Lion vs. Lion would be lucky number 13.

Thanks! And wow they are slow on releases. I bought KWTGA forever ago and that's 11 haha

Despite amazon displaying "Temporarily out of stock" on their LvL page, this is not another TS delay. My preorder from amazon was shipped last night, so I guess they are just sold out for the moment. I realize that some members have already received their discs from some other online retailers, but I just wanted to assure others that the major online retailers should soon have them in stock if not there already.

I know a few people on the board do not think much to this one but I quite enjoyed it..

Absolutely agree with "one armed boxer"'s comments on the fight ...fantastic

but...

A couple of "dodgy" moments , an orchestrated dogfight - real or not sure and a little kids trousers being pulled down on screen (naked) - different time , different culture . I know..but how different it'd be today ...

Also, the weirdest ending ever - almost a total disconnect from the feel of the rest of the film..A sudden "haunted"/Mr Vampire ending to a kung fu comedy..

Always thought this was a classic, dont think Lo Mang ever looked as powerful as here, though I do think he came close in Fast Fingers (remember laughing my head off the 1st time I saw that on an Ocean Shores original video), and the fight between The Mayor-Wang Lung Wei and Sleeping Wizard-Chien Yuen San is amazing (love the old bootleg english print and The Mayor's exclamation "The Sword!!"), and how rough is the battle between The Mayor and Lo Mang, there's even that touch of genius where The Mayor uses the techniques of the Lion head (Mo See Tau) to block and step (militant) round Lo Mang.

The end is a let-down I grant you, Wong Yu. (R.I.P) is a bit weed here but it does make sense as he is a schemer in the movie. As for the comedy, to be honest a lot of H.K. comedy of this era sometimes doesn't work...and is that why anybody watches these movies anyway (if I want to laugh I'll stick on a D.V D of Family Guy..if I want to watch shapes I 'll watch Shaw's)

just got this . My opinion is that it's great film despite some of negativety on here. i think it as some of best fight scenes i've scene in any shaw brothers movie. Ending is not as bad as some on here make out. Certainly one of shaw brothers best movies

Certainly one of shaw brothers best movies

While I love it more than most, some might see that as quite a bold statement.

I feel "Lion Vs. Lion" suffers a little in the middle with an over-indulgence in comedy and so might not make it into the upper echelon of Shaw Brothers films for many. Me? I rate it highly but I understand why people might want a little more form it.

if anyone can recommend any other shaw brothers movies with great action in (but not where the fly through air on wires) i would be grateful. i mainly like ones from late 70's onwards as action seems better.

here is list of ones i enjoyed

out of the liu chia liang films i liked mad monkey kung fu, martail arts of shaolin ,

diagram pole fighters shaolin mantis

out of venoms films my favourites are flag of iron masked avengers return of venoms

5 element ninjas

others i like are 5 superfighters, clan of white lotus, monkey kung fu avenging eagle lion vs lion

if anyone can recommend any other shaw brothers movies with great action in (but not where the fly through air on wires) i would be grateful. i mainly like ones from late 70's onwards as action seems better.

here is list of ones i enjoyed

out of the liu chia liang films i liked mad monkey kung fu, martail arts of shaolin ,

diagram pole fighters shaolin mantis

out of venoms films my favourites are flag of iron masked avengers return of venoms

5 element ninjas

others i like are 5 superfighters, clan of white lotus, monkey kung fu avenging eagle lion vs lion

Perusing this thread might help you...

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3558

Archived