Classic Brittish Horror

Guest Shaolin Drunkard

Guest Chinatown Kid

I remember a Hammer film called "Vampire Circus" that I seen on tv as a kid. It was quite scary and bloody if memory serves me correct. Have to track this title down and see if it's available on dvd.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest venoms5

Try www.xploitedcinema.com. They have an excellent box set consisting of VAMPIRE CIRCUS, TWINS OF EVIL and COUNTESS DRACULA all uncut for 30 dollars. BTW the set is region 2 and they have another box set with HANDS OF THE RIPPER, THE UNCANNY and THE DEVIL WITHIN HER(under one of its several alternate titles I think.

Guest Markgway

I had the R2 Vampire Box Set. All films are 16:9 and AFAIK uncut. The only one I kept was Twins of Evil - one of the best of the 70's Hammer Horrors. It also had a very good print. Whereas Countess Dracula looked kinda yellowish to me.

Guest chingdog

Countess Dracula is always a bit washed out from what I have seen.....Twins is a great movie. I also recommend: Pirates of Blood River, Night Creatures, Shadow of the Cat, Scream of Fear, Cash on Demand, and Stranglers of Bombay if you like Hammer.....

Guest Markgway

Some of those are quite rare, Chingdog. But Night Creatures (originally Captain Clegg) is available on the recent Hammer Franchise DVD collection from Universal. It's overmatted @2.00 but the cropping doesn't interfere TOO much and otherwise the print looks great. Possibly the most enjoyable film in the set.

Guest chingdog

They are rare...I have them all on video but need to get the Captain Clegg release...I think I will after you told me the print is pretty good since mine is average at best.....

Guest Markgway

Universal's Captain Clegg DVD uses the American Night Creatures print (actually a better title IMO) but seems to be uncut, as are most if not all the other films in the set. As I said it IS overmatted so don't be surprised that your tape has more image on top/bottom. But doesn't spoil the movie. It's worth taking a chance for the ultra-cheap price. I hadn't seen any of the eight films before buying and the only one I thought was (a little) below average was Curse of the Werewolf.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I just ordered this set put out By MCA that includes Curse of the Werewolf. I remember seeing C. of the W. before and thought it was pretty good. Oliver Reed's performance was quite intense and riveting. The guy that played the king in that movie sure was a mean, hateful SOB. I believe Mr. Reed was quite a rowdy wildchild in his personal life too. Looking forward to seeing Night Creatures, Paranoic, and Nightmare in this set also as I've never seen them before.

Guest Markgway

Reed's performances could sometimes be a bit mannered and theatrical. But he dominates the screen that's for sure.... Except when the great Peter Cushing is on. 8)

Guest sevenhooks

Suprised nobody's mentioned "Night of the Demon" (US title: "Curse of the Demon") with Dana Andrews and Peggy Cummings (the supremely sexy broad from "Gun Crazy").

Sh#t was eerie as all hell & used to give me straight up nightmares as a lickle youth!!

Search it out if you want to see a good, classy British horror flick.

Same director that did the old Cat People films if I'm not mistaken.

It's also the movie that "Rocky Horror Picture Show" was referring to when they said "Dana Andrews said prunes gave him the runes."

:eek

Guest Markgway

The R1 DVD of Night of the Demon has both original British and re-edited US versions on it. (I know because my Dad has it). ;)

Just got Captain Kronos R1 thru the mail. From the makers of The Avengers... meets Hammer has me intrigued. Heard it's good fun. No spoilers please! :b

Guest killer meteor

I'm quite pleased with the German Hammer DVDs from Anolis. They retain the commentaries and extras from the OOP Anchor Bay discs and have fair to decent picture quality

Guest moongirl6

YES!!! Night/Curse of the Demon is an EXCELLENT film, one you can watch over and over and over again and never get tired of it (I speak from personal experience).

Guest Markgway

Well, I watched CAPTAIN KRONOS and it was a giant bore. Very disappointing. It's got some positive reviews though, so maybe it's just me. On my trade list if any wants...

Guest Chinatown Kid

The Hammer dvd sets I ordered arrived yesterday. One was a set put out by Universal and the other was put out by Warner Brothers. I've started watching the Warner Brothers discs first and so far have watched Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Taste The Blood of Dracula, and Frankenstein Must be Destroyed, having never seen the latter two. Taste the Blood of Dracula was rather kinky, more so than the usual Dracula fare. Christopher Lee was again great as Dracula altough he was scarcely in it except towards the end. Seems like the movie didn't even really need Dracula in it with the plot about Satanic cult leader and the victorian thrill seekers that got involved with him. I liked Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed alot better. Peter Cushing portrays Dr. Frankenstein alot more evil and ruthless in this movie than he normally appears. He murders, rapes, an commits blackmail. The movie doesn't feature a grotesque monster as usual but a normal looking guy that has recieved a brain transplant played by Freddie Jones. Jones does a good job of portraying him as a pitiful, sympathetic character. Well I plan to watch Curse of Frankenstein and Horror of Dracula next, hope their just as good.:smokin

Guest chingdog

They are just as good.....Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed might be the most underrated performance of Cushing's career. Taste the Blood was so-so but Dracula again didn't have enough to do.....

Guest venoms5

Your observations about TASTE THE BLOOD... are spot on as the movie was originally meant to only feature a disciple of Dracula but at the last minute the producers resorted once again to emotional blackmail to lure Chris Lee back into the cape once more. Also, the version used is the uncut British version containing much more violence and nudity then the previous VHS from Warner. FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED has always been my fave of the Frank films because Peter Cushing, besides being my favorite actor, delivered his most evil and vicious performance of the series with all his scenes oozing perfection. Also Seven is right about NIGHT OF THE DEMON. When I was 8 I had a big book about horror movies and one page featured a large picture of the demon from the movie and I had to see it based on that one photo. If I remember correctly Joque Tourneur was against having the demon visualized in the movie and it was put in against his wishes.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I was very pleased with both The Curse of Frankenstein and the Horror of Dracula. They were both great retellings of the classic stories. I notice Christopher Lee is very tall, this gives him a very imposing presence and helped to make him a great Dracula. Peter Cushing makes a great Dr. Frankenstein and is a brilliant actor also. Didn't care much for The Evil of Frankenstein though. The monster just looked to hokey and cheap looking, I liked Lee's makeup alot better in Curse of Frankenstein. He was one ugly mofo!:lol Looking forward to watching Brides of Dracula and Phantom of the Opera next. 8)

Archived