King Kong!!!

Guest Jin Society

Guest Jin Society

I saw it today... what a great movie! Peter Jackson did a GREAT job of keeping all the original material and feel coupled with good special effects, great cast and crew and cinematography. I recommend it to everyone, go see it!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest actionjackson

the fight with dinosaurs was awesome. loved the movie, had a couple of minor flaws but thats just nitpicking. this is coming from someone who thought the LOTR trilogy was drop-dead boring.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I was gonna try and check it out this weekend with my sons, but then saw it was over 3hrs long!! Kinda hesitant now. Oh, and I heard on the news that so far it has been kinda a flop at the box office. Of course its too early to say that, but the report said it was behind Pokemon' ($$$) as far as wednesday releases go. As far as highest grossing wednesday releases anyway.

Guest Daisho2004

The reason the sales for King Kong are low at the box office is because the movie is 3 hours long, so it can't be played as many times as a movie that is 90min.

Guest beardy82
The reason the sales for King Kong are low at the box office is because the movie is 3 hours long, so it can't be played as many times as a movie that is 90min.

What about Titantic, Lord of the Rings, etc... they were all very long movies that did great in the theaters. Give it a chance... its only been a couple of days. :hat

Guest Johnnie freeze

Yep, besides that there are a lot of multiplex theatres that have the flick playing every hour.

This brings up another point though, I hate when hollywood talks about a new flick breaking box office records, with ticket prices soaring close to $10 a seat of course movies of today gross more than 20 years ago at $3 a ticket. [i just HAD to say that.:b ]

Guest limubai2000

I saw it this weekend and loved it as well. My girlfriend cried at the end. She thought it was the best Hollywood film she's seen this year and it was for me as well. Great film all the way around and I also had a few nitpicks.

As far as openings I'm sure it opened at more than $60mil which is higher than any Pokemon film, Wed especially during the holiday season are generally weak. Boxofficemojo has it listed right now at $50mil not including Sundays box office.

Edit - Add, CNN is reporting the 5 day total at 66mil and the weekend alone it made 50mil. That is just below studio estimates. The international total is 80mil over 5 days. $146mil grand total over 5 days is pretty sizable. The 3 hour movie point in previous post is correct me thinks.

Considering LOTR Fellowship did $47mil opening weekend and Titanic (#1 US film of all-time) did $28mil opening weekend I think KK could be measured a success already. (Titanic went on to do $600mil US domestic BO) I think Universal's strategy is spot on and having a great film obviously helps matters! I think this is going to go far especially looking at the next few weeks releases.

Guest TheManInWhite

Great film! I went with my teenage daughter who said to me it didn't feel like it was 3 hrs. long. If a teen can say that, it really says something about the film. :lol

I thought the effects were great. PJ truly pays homage to the original and then some. I thought the casting was picture perfect. The only problem I had with it was the audio in the movie theater could have been better. Can't wait for come out on DVD so I can watch it via Dolby Digital or THX. :D

Guest limubai2000

Many people have asked me about the running time as well and I keep saying, it didn't seem like 3 hours to me. Once the film kicks into high gear about 30 mins in it really doesn't slow down much, the quieter moments aren't too long and the action scenes do not disappoint.

The only film I can really compare it too is Raiders of the Lost Ark, I felt the same walking out of KK as I remember feeling the first time I saw Ark. It's just a great adventure movie amoung other things.

Guest sevenhooks
As far as openings I'm sure it opened at more than $60mil which is higher than any Pokemon film

The "behind Pokemon" stat was accurate - for the Wednesday opening anyway.

KK was something like #21 on the all-time list of Wednesday openings behind Pokemon, believe it or not.

It didn't take in anywhere near $60 mil until the weekend I believe.

And I don't think the running time has much to do with the less-than-stellar opening ("less-than-stellar" by expectations anyway) since many multiplexes are running the film on several screens.

I'd say the weather is probably a factor as the entire northeast has been hit with some absolutely frigid weather in recent days.

In fact I question the time they chose to release KK.

I think it might have done better right after Thanksgiving.

Also, you have to take into account that KK, while certainly an American icon, doesn't have the sort of built-in audience that a Harry Potter, Star Wars or even LOTR's had.

No matter. Come rain, snow, fire or brimstone, I'm gonna see the damn thing this weekend!!

Archived