Warring Clans, Flashing Blades: A Samurai Film Companion [Paperback]

daisho2004

Warring Clans, Flashing Blades: A Samurai Film Companion [Paperback]

I thought this might be a good book for Guys who are new to the Samurai Genre and also for Guys who might want to brush up on movies that we might have overlooked. I have his 1st. book and its really good.

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

Galloway has all sorts of interesting insights and facts that’ll make you want to re-watch your [favorite films], or check out some that you’ve never seen.”—Wired magazine

Movie treasure hunter Patrick Galloway is back with fifty must-see martial-arts films that might have slipped into the shadows of your Netflix queue. Warring Clans, Flashing Blades picks up where Galloway’s fan-favorite Stray Dogs & Lone Wolves left off, delving deeper into the samurai film and its spin-off genres—yakuza, ninja, and matatabi. Anyone who enjoys high-action historical dramas will delight in these epic films. Warring Clans, Flashing Blades is an essential reference for fans, and even the most jaded film buff will discover new films to fall in love with.

Includes:

Canon classics, such as Ran by Akira Kurosawa

Cult favorites like Samurai Spy and G.I. Samurai

Film stills and poster art

Cool extras, such as historical tidbits, mini-biographies, and trivia

Detailed production specs

Full index

Film critic Patrick Galloway won over readers with the film guides Stray Dogs & Lone Wolves: The Samurai Film Handbook and Asia Shock: Horror and Dark Cinema from Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and Thailand.

About the Author

Film critic Patrick Galloway won over readers with film guides Stray Dogs & Lone Wolves: The Samurai Film Handbook, and Asia Shock: Horror and Dark Cinema from Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and Thailand. A lifelong student of Asian philosophy and culture, Galloway has traveled in Japan, Hong Kong, India and Nepal. He lives in the Bay Area.

Here is the link from Amazon.com:http://www.amazon.com/Warring-Clans-Flashing-Blades-Companion/dp/1933330783/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1299097348&sr=8-11

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info, daisho2004. I'll probably pick this (or the first book) up soon.

Anybody have the same author's "Asia Shock"? I'm re-reading David Kalat's excellent book "J-Horror" and wondering what other Asian horror tomes might be worth picking up.

I was going to get Asia Shock myself but I was waiting to pick up a used copy of it. Not really in a hurry to get that one.

waywardsage

Both of Patrick Galloway's books are great! I find myself going back to them often after I've watched a film and want some insight on it afterward. I really wish he would make a 3rd book and "complete the trilogy!"

Archived