Joy Sales Legendary Collection Recommendations

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Hey guys, every few months I find myself dipping into the Joy Sales Legendary Collection to see what's been released recently. Yeah the technical aspects of them leave a lot to be desired, but they're dirt cheap and I've discovered many hidden gems and classics amongst them that I'd never have seen otherwise.

With that in mind, having just finished browsing what's available, these 18 titles are the ones that grabbed my attention. What I want to do is get the list down to 8, which will be the ones that I'll purchase. I value everyone on heres opinion, so if anybody has any advice on what is worth picking up and what's best left on the shelf, it would be really appreciated.

It's a pretty varied collection of modern-day kung-fu, old school kung-fu, horror, and even some Wong Jing silliness....but all of these titles come from the era when Hong Kong cinema was at it's creative peak, so I'm willing to give them a chance! Thanks...

Abracadabra

The Association

Disciples of Shaolin Temple

Forbidden Arsenal

To Hell with the Devil

I Love Maria

Inspector's Wear Skirts series

Jail House Eros

The Legend of the Owl

The Miracle Fighters

The Red Panther

Rosa

Sea Wolves

Split of the Spirit

Taoism Drunkard

Tiger on the Beat 2

The Trail

The Young Taoism Fighter

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flashlegstan2009

Heres my Few Favourites of Mine

Forbidden Arsenal , Sea Wolves

Rosa

Toasim Drunkard ,Young Taoism Fighter, Miracle Fighters

Rosa

If you havent got these Get :

Angry Ranger & Heroic Fight !

I would also say get Angry Ranger, and also Seventh Curse. The latter isn't really a full on kung fu film but it's great!

I need to pick up some Joy Sales myself, would you guys recommend YesAsia (already used them) or DDHouse?

DDD house are pretty cool. Excellent service, very cheap too. Even though they're from overseas, I still get them faster than most things I order within the U.S.

One Armed Boxer

Hi guys, thanks for the responses, all appreciated! However I already have a pretty large stack of Joy Sales titles, which include 'Angry Ranger', 'Heroic Fight', 'Seventh Curse', 'The Loot', 'The Challenger', 'The Dead & the Deadly', & 'Twin Dragons'.....I was looking for recommendations if possible just from the list of titles I provided!

I'm planning to make my purchases from yesasia.com....throw them in with an order for the Korean movie 'The Man from Nowhere'!

I have:

The Skyhawk

By Hook or By Crook

When Taekwondo Strikes

All good discs. Is the JS Legendary version of "The Dead and the Deadly" different than the Tai Seng?

Disciples of Shaolin Temple

Inspector's Wear Skirts series

The Miracle Fighters

Taoism Drunkard

The Young Taoism Fighter

Are all musts!

I dont have the Taiseng's the Dead and the Deadly, but if you must know, I can upload a few screenshots of the JS version.

Also from your list:

Taoism Drunkard, Miracle Fighters are must have if you're into Stephen Chow's wackiness. Yuen Clan's own take on silly comedy. The Young Taoism Fighter is another one of Yuen Clan's wack fest but weaker effort.

Legend of the Owl is another wacky 80's comedy, I personally adore it, one of Eric Tsang's not so annoying comedic role.

I love maria is another wackfest of the 80's, it's campy, cliche, and the production screams B-rated. The best thing about the movie is the horrible special effect, then again the film doesnt pretend to be anything but what it is: a B-production sci-fi.

Inspector wears skirts series: I dont know what to say, they're so bad to be recommended, and they're so campy to be missed. You should borrow somebody's copy to watch before deciding on buying them.

Kennedy Il Sung

From your list I've seen and enjoyed Tiger on Beat 2, Rosa, Forbidden Arsenal, and The Young Taoism Fighter.

One Armed Boxer
Get Rosa for Biao vs Dick Wei!

Now that sounds like a reason to watch a movie!

Taoism Drunkard, Miracle Fighters are must have if you're into Stephen Chow's wackiness. Yuen Clan's own take on silly comedy. The Young Taoism Fighter is another one of Yuen Clan's wack fest but weaker effort.

Legend of the Owl is another wacky 80's comedy, I personally adore it, one of Eric Tsang's not so annoying comedic role.

I love maria is another wackfest of the 80's, it's campy, cliche, and the production screams B-rated. The best thing about the movie is the horrible special effect, then again the film doesnt pretend to be anything but what it is: a B-production sci-fi.

Inspector wears skirts series: I dont know what to say, they're so bad to be recommended, and they're so campy to be missed. You should borrow somebody's copy to watch before deciding on buying them.

Thanks for the advice Delirious, 'Taoism Drunkard' maybe the one to get from the Yuen clan bunch I'd picked out then...

So is 'Legend of the Owl' not in the same vein as 'The Loot' & 'The Challenger'? That is the kind of thing I was after when I picked out this title.

'I Love Maria' & 'The Inspectors Wear Skirts series' (how many spelling variations are there of this title, every website has a slightly different name!) sound great....I love campy 80's action fun, so they sound like they'd be down my street.

Looks like nobody has seen any of the horror stuff I was curious about such as 'To Hell With the Devil', 'Split of the Spirit', or 'Red Panther'?

Legend of the Owl is more in term of Shaw's Tales of the Eunuch, or Wits of Brat. The fight sequence is like something they throw together in the last minute, but the comedy is top notch slap stick. They even mention Gu Long and his famous novel Little Lee's Flying Daggers, and some hilarious Light Saber duel

Legend of the Owl is the Airplane! of wu xia movies. There's one gag obviously lifted directly from Airplane! (you'll know it when you see it). As for it being in the same vein as The Loot and the Challenger, I'd say they're martial arts movies with comedy while Legend of the Owl is a comedy with martial arts.

Does anyone know if Joy Sales are planning to release Shaolin Drunkard? Since they released the prequel and two sequels it would be kind of fitting. Also I really really want this in Canto/Mandarin with subs + an unxcropped 2.35:1 picture.

I don't think they have the rights anymore.

That makes me sad. Do you know if there is any original language version of this floating around in cyberspace?

ANGRY RANGER, STAGE DOOR JOHNNY and NAUGHTY BOYS are very good.

All three produced by Jackie Chan and and the action is top notch.

Lots of familiar faces like Mars, Kara Hui, Ben Lam and so on....vintage 80s stuff...

Archived