King Kong Vs Godzilla/King Kong Escapes

Guest Daisho2004

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peter cannon THUNDERBOLT

i was wondering if king kong vs gopdzilla was goint to be released or at least reaired on sci-fi now i know thanks

Guest Megaloman

these are some great discs, and you can get them for about $15, a great deal for two movies. whiners and babies keep complaining about the lack of extras or Japanese versions, but don't listen to them.

David

Guest killer meteor

I should think that the Japanese versions are essential for anyone interested in the films, especially since the US version of KKvG is such a botch job so I'd thank you not to call me a baby.

Guest venoms5

The Japanese subbed disc I have of KKE is 106 minutes so about 10 minutes longer but the Japanese subbed KKVG is 16 minutes or more than the US counterpart. It's nice to have them both especially KKE even though I prefer the Japanese version although it's a bit jarring to hear Japanese dubbed over the american actors just like on MONSTER ZERO and FRANKENSTEIN VS BARAGON and its sequel.

Guest Megaloman

according to Stuart Galbraith's book Japanese Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy, KKE's Japanese version is 104 minutes long, and the US version is 96 minutes. given that the Japanese credits are far more extensive than the US ones, that means the running time is less than 6 minutes difference.

still, i'm happy to have the US version on disc of both movies, they are the ones i grew up with.

David

Ahh, just got this two-pack. Awesome!! Although I would ahve preferred original language, like the awesome recent releases of Varan and The Mysterians by Media Blasters, the widescreen anamorphic transfers on these are just so nice. Man, this has been a great last couple of years for Region 1 releases of Japanese sci-fi/kaiju

Guest Chinatown Kid

I heard the rumor that in the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla that Godzilla wins at the end. This doesn't make sense though because Godzilla is the villain in both versions. Any body know if this rumor is true or false? This was one of my favorite monster movies as a kid so I'm gonna definately get the new U.S. version with KKE. Also, can anybody tell me the best site to order the Japanese versions? Really would like to see the extra footage. Also would like to know the best version of Frankenstien Conquers the World to get, it was also one of my favorites.:)

Guest Megaloman

there are some sad Godzilla fans who can't accept their hero losing, but even Toho, in press materials at the time, say Kong wins. there's never been any other ending. in the Japanese version you hear both monsters roar at the end, but that is a "bow" to the audience, nothing more.

David

Guest Megaloman

my pleasure.

the Japanese version IS a better movie, overall, than the US one, but i love the US one as much, since it was the first Godzilla movie i ever saw.

David

The one thing that struck me about the US version of G vs.KK is the lack of the usual Ifukube musical score. That was a disappointment to me, as I just love his music in the toho kaiju movies, the Daimajins, and the Zatoichis. Was the score different in the Japanese version?

Also, the great Ifukube score WAS there in King Kong Escapes. Man, this movie is one of my guilty pleasures and one of my favorites of all the Toho kaiju movies! :)

Guest limubai2000

I just ordered this pack based on you guy's recommendations.

I'd wager that zilla loses to KK because the Japanese wanted some payback after getting b*tch slapped in the original Godzilla. :rollin

Anyone know if Godzilla Raids Again will see the light of day on R1? I have a DVDR fansub of it but would like to upgrade.

Guest Megaloman

Hopefully the US version GIGANTIS THE FIRE MONSTER will be released sometime in the near future. rumor has it that it will have both language tracks on it.

David

Guest venoms5

Check out out far east flix for FRANKENSTEIN VS BARAGON aka FRANK...CONQUERS THE WORLD. The Japanese version is much different than the US version. Particularly in the US version the Frankenstein monster is shown as being much more vicious as several different shots were filmed for the american market. The japanese disc features the different scenes as a special feature and also contains the alternate ending of the giant octopus coming ashore and dragging the Frank. Monster into the sea. The far east flix DVD is an excellent port of the Japanese disc with proper english subtitles.

Guest venoms5

What difference does that make? It's a professionally made boot compared to many other boots out there and even if MB puts it out the subs may not be a direct translation from the Japanese text. Regardless, it's the only way to get it right now subtitled.

Archived