• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Rees

• Sheng

• spannick

• Cognoscente

Thought I bring this thread up after finally snatchin' up these…

Despite the grainy and somewhat dull picture both of these titles belong to the more, er… “presentable” Kam & Ronson Blu Rays I’ve screened recently. Both simply look like very decent DVD’s to me, not more, not less. The real downer are the subtitles though. What I find more irksome than all the spelling mistakes, the frequent mix-ups of tenses and/or singular-plural is that the subs are so fuckin' fast that oftentimes its impossible to follow the dialogue. Meaning you’ll find your thumb glued on the ‘Rewind’ button from the get-go and it really doesn’t come off ‘til the credits roll…

The irony is that the burnt-in subs of the old Taiwanese Ritek DVD – for years the only acceptable option to watch BLACK MASK uncut - are actually a lot easier to read. The audio of that DVD is also at least twice as powerful as the one on the K & R Blu Ray… :ooh:

Anyway, compared to the crap versions that Dragon Dynasty (MY FATHER IS A HERO a.k.a. THE ENFORCER, cut & dubbed) and Lionsgate (BLACK MASK, severely censored) dumped on the market in recent years, both of these BD’s ought to be necessary acquisitions, at least in my book. I seriously doubt we’ll see better ones in the years to come…

David Rees

Many thanks Sheng for the reviews.

I was going to buy My Father Is A Hero but the subtitles do put me off, i think i will stick with the DVD. Never a great fan of Black Mask, good to know its uncut.

Can you tell if there are added sound fx to these blu ray's, something which has plagued many of these releases, or is it just enhanced mono?

Hmm, I didn't notice added sound FX on BLACK MASK as compared to the Ritek. Funny that the volume of the Cantonese audio is just so much lower than the full-on blast of the Mandarin one...

I have no direct comparison for MY FATHER IS A HERO though, wouldn't touch the dubbed DD release with a bargepole... :bigsmile:

Also, I'm not exactly a fan of BLACK MASK, but to me the Yuen Woo Ping choreographed action is worth the price of admission. I just love to study the man's sick fight sequences, the editing, the lighting, the camera-angles he uses, you dig? :nerd:

Guest Markgway

Black Mask was Dolby Digital in theatres so they shouldn't have needed to tamper with the soundtrack.

Apparently the Blu Ray is the uncut Hong Kong version (ie. would have been Cat-III)

Guest Markgway

What's the best version of My Father... with Cantonese mono?

I've heard that the German/Austrian DVD is very good.

Is it progressive PAL?

German Disc is progressive Mono. Mei Ah is very most likely interlaced. did they release ANYTHING progressive?

Guest Markgway
German Disc is progressive Mono.

Cheers. I'll keep an eye out for that one then.

Mei Ah is very most likely interlaced. did they release ANYTHING progressive?

I only have a couple of their titles, so I don't know?