Knockabout: HKL Mono Sync?

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Can anyone tell me if the Cantonese Mono is in sync or is it out like the Fox DVD?

The Fox has better colours but the sync issue began to nag the more I watched so I sold it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fox is out of sync?

I've watched it a million times and never really noticed. The only movie recently that bugged me with sync issues was the HKL of Odd Couple.

Guest Markgway
The Fox is out of sync? I've watched it a million times and never really noticed. The only movie recently that bugged me with sync issues was the HKL of Odd Couple.

Yeah, it's slightly OOS. Not as bad as, say, IVL's Police Story, but still out by a fraction. You notice it in the final fight, a good place to check.

Thanks, Crane.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I checked my HKL version, and both the canto and mandarin audio seems in synch to me. Checked several spots, and the speech and sound effects seemed in synch as far as im concerned.

I checked my HKL version, and both the canto and mandarin audio seems in synch to me. Checked several spots, and the speech and sound effects seemed in synch as far as im concerned.

Sync problems can be fixed with most editing software, like sony vegas. It really is a simple process of making a few small cuts to the audio to bring it back into sync with the video.

Guest Markgway

Cheers. Funny thing is it's the sound effects where you really notice sync issues (the speech is usually out already). lol.

Killer Meteor

The weird thing is that on some of these HKLs and other Fortune Stars, the sound is in sync aside from one key fight scene, where it will go way out of sync. See HKL's Hapkido, Last Hurrah For Chivalry and Fox's Big Boss.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Cheers. Funny thing is it's the sound effects where you really notice sync issues (the speech is usually out already). lol.

Yeah, payed more attention to the sound effects, and they looked consistent throughout. The mandarin lip synch was, understandably, a little off.

Guest Markgway
Yeah, payed more attention to the sound effects, and they looked consistent throughout. The mandarin lip synch was, understandably, a little off.

Cantonese. :xd:

Son Of A Gun

The cantonese mono track goes in and out of sync on the HKL Knockabout disc. Most of the time it's slightly delayed and at times it becomes a little more noticeable. I noticed it and it annoyed me. But it isn't major.

The first 10mins or more of Dreadnaught HKL's cantonese mono was out of sync too. There's no excuse.

Guest Markgway

Thanks for the info.

Better off with the Fox disc then. Sure, it's similarly out of sync, but has better colours.

Killer Meteor
Thanks for the info.

Better off with the Fox disc then. Sure, it's similarly out of sync, but has better colours.

I thought the sync on HKL's Knockabout was fine but the colours look very over baked.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I didn't check the audio for the entire running time, only spot checks. So I must have missed the out of synch moments.

Son Of A Gun

I just double checked by watching the first few minutes of it again. It is indeed delayed audio sync on the mono track. It's not major but it's enough to piss me off. Watch it from the beginning and keep watching for a few minutes.

Every time Yuen Biao speaks, you don't hear his words untill his mouth has stopped moving. 'lol And I don't mean the voice dubber was just not able to sync his voice up with Yuen Biao's mouth movments, I mean the audio track is not in sync. Clearly.

Watch the first fight scene. Punches and kicks don't sound untill after they've happened.

Verdict: Out of sync. :nerd:

And yes, the skin tones are so ridiculously purple at times, it's like they're going to explode.

Or maybe the Umpaloompas need to juice them. :xd:

The first 10mins or more of Dreadnaught HKL's cantonese mono was out of sync too. There's no excuse.

Man, you guys have some ears on you because I've never noticed. I guess I'm too busy reading subtitles.

Killer Meteor
I just double checked by watching the first few minutes of it again. It is indeed delayed audio sync on the mono track. It's not major but it's enough to piss me off. Watch it from the beginning and keep watching for a few minutes.

Every time Yuen Biao speaks, you don't hear his words untill his mouth has stopped moving. 'lol And I don't mean the voice dubber was just not able to sync his voice up with Yuen Biao's mouth movments, I mean the audio track is not in sync. Clearly.

Watch the first fight scene. Punches and kicks don't sound untill after they've happened.

Verdict: Out of sync. :nerd:

And yes, the skin tones are so ridiculously purple at times, it's like they're going to explode.

Or maybe the Umpaloompas need to juice them. :xd:

Checked again, and yes, first 10min (basically first reel) is out of sync slightly but enough for me to sell the dvd today, and just make £20!

So thanks mate :)!!!!

Killer Meteor
Lol... that's decisive action right there.

Its a little dispiriting though...I remember that before Fortune Star came on the scene, I didn't have to worry about audio tracks being out of sync, or remixes being too bad/

Son Of A Gun

Exactly how did that 'worry' go away when Fortune Star came on the scene then? There are plenty of Fortune star releases with out of sync audio. 'lol Knockabout HKL is a Fortune star print.

:wink:

Killer Meteor
Exactly how did that 'worry' go away when Fortune Star came on the scene then? There are plenty of Fortune star releases with out of sync audio. 'lol Knockabout HKL is a Fortune star print.

:wink:

Sorry, left out the "didn't" lol. Some of the old HKL remixes were shoddy (Zu Warriors, Dragon Lord etc) but at least they didn't totally ruin the film. Its most annoying not to be able to own Hapkido because the damn audio goes way out of sync during a fight on the mono track, and the 5.1 remix is so bad.

Son Of A Gun

Ahhh, thought there might have been a word missing there. :wink:

Yep, the bad audio mixes suck.

Killer Meteor

The HKL Dreadnaught is still cut right? There's no cut listed on the BBFC site but I'm told it was pre-cut before submission?

Archived