Classics you don't "get"?

John

At the same time, I grow tired of the pristine, picture-perfect choreography of newer kung fu films. I can appreciate something like One-Armed Swordsman because it isn't steeped in the CG-laden self-consciousness of many modern entries. All things considered, it's more realistic that the wire-suspended Taekwondo flailing abound and it's the illusion of realism that I cherish most.

Agreed on Bruce films: Fist of Fury is the only truly respectable film of his lot. I like Big Boss, though Enter the Dragon is relationship status: complicated.

Inasmuch as comedy though, I'm not as critical. Some of this has to do with the quaint factor, some of it is genuinely funny, and the rest I chalk up to these being films made for people in Hong Kong circa the 1970s.

i agree with most of the older movies like a touch of zen, come drink with me, and others even one armed swordsman a little just don't do it for me... fighting just seems to slow... also even though they aren't really fu movies the royal tramp movies just sucked crap through a crazy straw to me... i like comedy but the comedy was just horrible to me in those movies. i actually think a lot of bruce's movies are over hyped even though i like them.. not because of him he was great and i'm a huge fan but i thought the best fighters had cameos or were stunt people honestly.. he'd have old men or character actors as a lot of the bad guys..

Do you speak Chinese? I think these movies are hysterical but everyone I know who has dealt with the English (dub or sub.... although I think there is more than one subtitle version; when I saw it on the US Hong Kong movie circuit back in the day the included English named the main character Wilson Bond???) has hated it! It's one of two successful HK movie adaptations of wuxia I can think of (the other is the Swordsman series).

The 5 Deadly Venoms

I first watched it a few months ago. I just don't get all the hype. The MA in it is really good but it needs more as there's just not that much til the end. I don't know......it started with such promise but didn't deliver for me. It was a labor to get through. Still, I plan to give it another watch at a later date.

5 Deadly Venoms, The first time I watched it I felt the same, took me a while and a lot of films in between before I realized whats so good about it. Come Drink With Me on the other hand I loved straight away.

Kennedy Il Sung

Had to add another one. The Invincible Armour, It just feels so slow and most of the fights are disappointing.

Guest Yi-Long
Ashes of Time Redux. Was the original Ashes of Time any better? I am so not looking forward to Wong Kar Wai's Grandmaster.

The original Ashes of Time is fantastic. I'm not going anywhere near the Redux. As far as I'm concerned, WKW should be shot in the face for cutting up his own masterpiece.

Don't kill me but...

I could never get into "Legendary Weapons Of Kung Fu"

On another note i think to really appreciate some of the classic's....they had to be seen during the time period.

Anyone that has seen "Enter The Dragon" in the theaters 1st run can tell you how CRAZY everyone went when Bruce pulled out the Nunchucks!!!!

My only compaint...i wish Jim Kelly would have lived and John Saxon get killed....

They kept Saxon alive because they needed a US box office name to sell the film as mainstream (bul@#!$)

Cognoscente
On 2/21/2011 at 10:26 PM, John said:

Anyhow, any thoughts on Blood Brothers or similar disinterest in some of the more vocally lauded classics?

The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk. The only signature fight scene is one that's derivative of The Young Hero of Shaolin II (using people's heads as pedestals).

• Like 2

To a degree, The Hot, the Cool & the Vicious
Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good film. But some people really worship it like it's the holy grail of indie kung fu flicks, call it the director's best film, say it's better than Secret Rivals, etc. I don't get that--to me the action (which there's not that much of) doesn't look much better than most of the other stuff Tommy Lee choreographed around that time. 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Five Deadly Venoms will always be the big one for me; also I've always felt Police Story had a very disjointed storyline and unfunny slapstick despite having stunning action set-pieces and probably the best final fight of Jackie's career.

Aside from the first Drunken Master I'm also not so hot on most of Jackie's other 70's Kung Fu Comedy Films.

I also could not warm to Magnificent Butcher, even as a kid. 

Edited by Josh Baker
  • Like 2

Every Bruce Lee movie. I mean I do get why they’re popular and their influence, but I don’t enjoy them and don’t think much of them.

• Like 1

Enter the Fat Dragon. I had always heard good things about it but when I finally watched it, I found it utter shite! Sammo was actually annoying with his constant face pulling. I didn't find it funny either.

• Like 1