Classics you don't "get"?

John

Warriors 2 I sold after one viewing,

:squigglemouth:

It starts off just OK but continues to ramp up and up...the Wing Chun training was good, Leung Kar Yan was awesome and not playing a Beardy role, Sammo's double broadsword was worth the price of admission alone...

:squigglemouth:

It starts off just OK but continues to ramp up and up...the Wing Chun training was good, Leung Kar Yan was awesome and not playing a Beardy role, Sammo's double broadsword was worth the price of admission alone...

Leung Kar Yan was excellent, everyone else was just bad comedy, and then there's Dean Shek :squigglemouth:

When I bought Warriors 2 I was hoping for a great film like Prodigal Son, I was utterly dissapointed and got rid of it.

Leung Kar Yan was excellent, everyone else was just bad comedy, and then there's Dean Shek :squigglemouth:

When I bought Warriors 2 I was hoping for a great film like Prodigal Son, I was utterly dissapointed and got rid of it.

I thought Sammo was funny in it, as usual...and Dean Shek, eh, he doesn't bother me but I know he's loathed around here. Once I saw him in His Name Is Nobody it gave me a real appreciation for his style.

I think this thread raises a good point, indirectly, that we often go into things with preconceived notions, expectations and ideas. Actually, we should just see things as they are; instead we often let our cup overflow with tea and can't accept anymore.

I thought Sammo was funny in it, as usual...and Dean Shek, eh, he doesn't bother me but I know he's loathed around here. Once I saw him in His Name Is Nobody it gave me a real appreciation for his style.

I think this thread raises a good point, indirectly, that we often go into things with preconceived notions, expectations and ideas. Actually, we should just see things as they are; instead we often let our cup overflow with tea and can't accept anymore.

I don't hate Dean Shek like a lot of people do, but his little turn at the end of Warriors 2 totally spoiled the flow of the ending for me personally. I don't know what they were thinking.

I don't hate Dean Shek like a lot of people do, but his little turn at the end of Warriors 2 totally spoiled the flow of the ending for me personally.

Co-sign, Phoenix! That's exactly what I was thinking. His "fight scene" with Sammo was the spoiler in an otherwise riveting movie.

I don't hate Dean Shek like a lot of people do, but his little turn at the end of Warriors 2 totally spoiled the flow of the ending for me personally. I don't know what they were thinking.

I wont totally blame Dean Shek, Sammo can be annoying to, just cause he is fat doesnt automatcally make him funny. Also I've never been a fan of Cassonova Wong, except for in Big Trouble in Little China. :bigsmile:

Also I've never been a fan of Cassonova Wong, except for in Big Trouble in Little China. :bigsmile:

Carter Wong? or was Cassonova Wong in it too?

Carter Wong? or was Cassonova Wong in it too?

Wait your right I got my Wong's mixed up, Casonova I still need to see more of his films, Carter, never liked his screen presense except for in Big Trouble in Little China :xd:

Sammo can be annoying to, just cause he is fat doesnt automatcally make him funny.

Just.

Stop.

Sammo was never annoying in his heyday.

• Like 1

He was pretty bad in Heart of Dragon.

That was his best dramatic role along with Painted Faces and probably the best portrayal of retarded person in Hong Kong cinema. He went full retard and he still had a career afterward. Think about that.

I have to stop posting here or something

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
"Never go FULL-RETARD!"

-Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder.

:bigsmile:

Bwa--Haaaa--Haaaa! I love that bit. That and "I don't break character until the dvd commentary is done."

To me the problem is that sometimes the comedy aspect is over-pushed as though they don't know when to end the gag. Not just Sammo but many HK movies are guilty of this, even JC's.

I thought Sammo's portrayal of a mentally challenged man in "Heart of Dragon" was spot on personally. Too bad he couldn't have been one with an innate sense of fighting ability. Then that movie would've years ahead of "Chocolate" in that respect.

I saw this topic in a forum once and thought it was an interesting topic so I decided to start one here. Are there any movies that are praised greatly that you guys just couldn't get into or just didn't like?

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Thats the number one movie on my list for this topic. I loved Yeohs fights, but I just didn't think Ziyi Zhang convinced as a martial artist, Chow Yun Fan, needs two guns in his hands, and the movie put me to sleep on muliple occasions. I tried so many times but I just find it boring and overrated.

ShaOW!linDude

The 5 Deadly Venoms

I first watched it a few months ago. I just don't get all the hype. The MA in it is really good but it needs more as there's just not that much til the end. I don't know......it started with such promise but didn't deliver for me. It was a labor to get through. Still, I plan to give it another watch at a later date.

A Touch of Zen

I started watching that years ago and just could never finish it. I've still got it packed away somewhere (I think).

Come Drink With Me

I just don't get it. I had to force myself to watch it to the end. I guess for it's time it was something but I think this movie sux! I felt sooooo ripped off and disappointed after watching it.

Ashes of Time Redux. Was the original Ashes of Time any better? I am so not looking forward to Wong Kar Wai's Grandmaster.

The Water Margin. The Deadly Duo...

The whole Ti Lung & David Chiang thing. Not into it.

The Venoms tho, really? Try Crippled Avengers or Golden Arms first, then watch 5 Venoms again. I love that movie

Ashes of Time Redux. Was the original Ashes of Time any better? I am so not looking forward to Wong Kar Wai's Grandmaster.

Nope. Ashes of Time is a tough one

The thing about Crouching Tiger is that it isn't really a martial arts movie. It is a multi-layered love story meant to showcase the themes of wuxia literature without actually focusing on the martial arts; the martial world is just a framework for the other themes in the film. I watched it in English for the first time with my little girl the other day; she loved it (she loves Pei Pei Cheng) and originally saw it with my wife, who liked it. The old school Chinese dialogue was really hard for me to follow so I read it the first time... and liked it better. It's something that should be compared to "The English Patient" or "Chocolat" more than "36 Chambers" or "Chocolate!"

i agree with most of the older movies like a touch of zen, come drink with me, and others even one armed swordsman a little just don't do it for me... fighting just seems to slow... also even though they aren't really fu movies the royal tramp movies just sucked crap through a crazy straw to me... i like comedy but the comedy was just horrible to me in those movies. i actually think a lot of bruce's movies are over hyped even though i like them.. not because of him he was great and i'm a huge fan but i thought the best fighters had cameos or were stunt people honestly.. he'd have old men or character actors as a lot of the bad guys..