Korean Old School Kung Fu Movies

falkor

Secret Executioner
Which means I have my Saturday morning kung fu viewing this weekend ;)

And that we are to get a review too ? :nerd:

I will be writing reviews later today for two as I did a kung fu double feature last night:

Mighty Four with Casanova Wong and Bruce Cheung

Ring of Death with Cliff Lok and Hwang Jung Lee (we all know him as Hwang Jang Lee, but I hear Jung Lee is the name he is using now)

DragonClaws
I will be writing reviews later today for two as I did a kung fu double feature last night:

Mighty Four with Casanova Wong and Bruce Cheung

Ring of Death with Cliff Lok and Hwang Jung Lee (we all know him as Hwang Jang Lee, but I hear Jung Lee is the name he is using now)

Looking forward to reading those Albert.

I wrote a short review for Mighty Four that I might have saved on my P.C somewhere. Like I mentioned earlier I wasn't too impressed. The films pretty random and features some odd moments which kept me entertained.

Looking forward to reading those Albert.

I wrote a short review for Might Four that I might have saved on my P.C somewhere. Like I mentioned earlier I wasn't too impressed. The films pretty random and features some odd moments which kept me entertained.

Some fights I liked, some I thought were way out there, and I was cracking up when Casanova grabbed the one guy up in the air and kicking at some thugs while still grabbing guy in the air...I was like WHAT?!

DragonClaws
Some fights I liked, some I thought were way out there, and I was cracking up when Casanova grabbed the one guy up in the air and kicking at some thugs while still grabbing guy in the air...I was like WHAT?!

You'll never see Hwang Jang Lee pull off that move despite his many skills. Casanova Wong has played some far out characters and appeared in a lot of over the top movies.

Has anyone here seen the film I wrote about yesterday Shaolin Kung Fu?. I was hoping some people here might know more about it?. There's not much information online about this one.

Was walking home yesterday and passed by my local off licence. They had a little super cheap dvd shelf and sitting there amongst them was the vengeance release of 5 pattern dragon claw for £3.99.

Snapped it up and gave it a watch last night and it's a pretty good little movie! I liked the faster paced choreography style for the most part and Dragon Lee and Hwang Jang Lee turn in good fighting performances. Hwang is actually in it a fair bit as opposed to some of his villain turns from earlier movies and busts out some nice eagle claw and bootwork. Crazy OTT thunder fist end fight too haha.

Was walking home yesterday and passed by my local off licence. They had a little super cheap dvd shelf and sitting there amongst them was the vengeance release of 5 pattern dragon claw for £3.99.

Snapped it up and gave it a watch last night and it's a pretty good little movie! I liked the faster paced choreography style for the most part and Dragon Lee and Hwang Jang Lee turn in good fighting performances. Hwang is actually in it a fair bit as opposed to some of his villain turns from earlier movies and busts out some nice eagle claw and bootwork. Crazy OTT thunder fist end fight too haha.

Yeah, I enjoyed this one, too.

It also gave us Hwang Jang Lee using the F-Bomb: "Those f***ing students..." and one of my favorite dubbed lines: "I shall teach you a kung fu punch, using your fists."

DragonClaws

It's not bad for a low budget Asso-Asia production. The dubbings pretty funny from what I can recall. This was the first Korean film I saw and I liked the style of choreography on display.

Secret Executioner

Five Pattern Dragon Claw is a decent movie. Hwang Jang Lee really kicks ass in this one.

Secret Executioner

Duel Of The Tough (South Korea, 1982)

After a convoy from Canton was attacked and the scriptures from the Shaolin Temple it carried ware stolen, one of the monks is found by a young man who decides to help him recover the scriptures. However, the thief turns out to be a former monk who's very skilled and controls a major band of bandits in the area.

Watched this Godfrey Ho-directed IFD production since I'm writing on it for a guest review on Shaolin Chamber 36. It's really nothing stellar, with okay action (very heavy on shapes) and a rather confused story. Add to it a badly cropped fullscreen version that makes some of the action hard to figure out, and you'll get a really subpar movie. What saved it was the lead whom I liked (the guy somewhat reminded me of Chiang Sheng, though not as good in terms of action) and the crazy dub - that dub has people saying "bulls**t" all the time and there's a great delivery from a guy who sounds really pissed all the time.

I enjoyed the dub and some of the action, but it's honestly nowhere near a must-see.

Morgoth Bauglir

For some reason my thread on Sin Il Ryong was merged with this thread. I guess that he doesn't deserve his own thread?

Has anyone seen The Double Crossers? Does Sin Il Ryong have a large role?

paimeifist

I would also love to hear about this flick, or at least where or how I can watch it.

"I guess he doesn't deserve his own thread":xd:

One Armed Boxer

Don't Ask My Way to Go (aka Death Fist) (1976)

http://www.kmdb.or.kr/eng/vod/vod_basic.asp?nation=K&p_dataid=03034

http://jamalkungfuprojects.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/death-fist.html

I recently got through watching this Korean old-school effort, a very early movie from Park Woo-sang, who also directed movies like the Casanova Wong flick 'Strike of Thunderkick Tiger', before eventually moving to the US, and directing several classic flicks under the moniker of Richard Park, such as 'Miami Connection' and 'American Chinatown'.

Suffering from terrible dubbing, a slow start which seems to spend an endless amount of time with an accordion playing protagonist, and a beaten up picture, surprisingly it eventually turns into a nice little fight flick.  The version I watched only runs for 73 minutes, so it's safe to assume that some of it's missing (the Korean Movie Database lists it as 85 minutes), however it's worth a watch to see Kwan Yung-moon in an early villain role, which provides a chance to see how he got the nickname of 'The Mad Korean'.

• Like 2

Just saw Shaolin Drunken Monk a few days ago and unfortunately, I thought it was far from as exciting or funny as the title suggests. The fight scenes are great, but everything else is pretty dull. The melodrama in this movie kills me. It's a needlessly depressing and uncomfortable movie. But still, that fight towards the end with Gordon Liu fighting a guy with a chain whip was awesome though.

Holy crap, just realized that Shaolin Drunken Monk is the only kung fu movie I've been able to see this month so far. I need a vacation.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 2

Just saw Shaolin Drunken monk a few days ago and unfortunately, I thought it was far from as exciting or funny as the title suggests. The fight scenes are great, but everything else is pretty dull. The melodrama in this movie kills me. It's a needlessly depressing and uncomfortable movie. But still, that fight towards the end with Gordon Liu fighting a guy with a chain whip was awesome though.

Holy crap, just realized that Shaolin Drunken Monk is the only kung fu movie I've been able to see this month so far. I need a vacation.

The guy whom you're referring to with the whip chain was none other than Chin Yuet Sang who starred in Thundering Mantis as Beardy and Wong Yat Lung's Sifu and He also used the same weapon in shaw bros Lion vs Lion.He happened to be the choreographer for Shaolin Drunken Monk and was supervised by Lau Kar Leung himself on that production.

Let me also mention that someone pulled a Godfrey Ho and spliced footage from another movie called "Fury in Shaolin Temple" which also stars Gordon Liu and is directed by Godfrey Ho into shaolin drunken monk.You can see from the picture quality of the opening intro where Gorden Liu is doing a drunken fist form at the waterfall and when during a flashback in the middle of the movie Gordon Liu has when it shows him training at a shaolin temple where he does chores disguised as kung-fu techniques but in the actual shaolin drunken monk movie he learns from a retired martial arts master who is the town drunkard.

• Like 1

The guy whom you're referring to with the whip chain was none other than Chin Yuet Sang who starred in Thundering Mantis as Beardy and Wong Yat Lung's Sifu and He also used the same weapon in shaw bros Lion vs Lion.He happened to be the choreographer for Shaolin Drunken Monk and was supervised by Lau Kar Leung himself on that production.

Let me also mention that someone pulled a Godfrey Ho and spliced footage from another movie called "Fury in Shaolin Temple" which also stars Gordon Liu and is directed by Godfrey Ho into shaolin drunken monk.You can see from the picture quality of the opening intro where Gorden Liu is doing a drunken fist form at the waterfall and when during a flashback in the middle of the movie Gordon Liu has when it shows him training at a shaolin temple where he does chores disguised as kung-fu techniques but in the actual shaolin drunken monk movie he learns from a retired martial arts master who is the town drunkard.

Chin Yuet Sang is one of those actors that I've seen so many times, but don't care enough to remember their names. That fight was still awesome though. It was a very exciting fight despite me not caring about the story.

Also, I knew something about that movie screamed Godfrey Ho. I've never seen Fury in Shaolin Temple and I don't plan on doing so. Thanks for the info.

Edited by KenHashibe

I'd agree that it isn't a kick fighting movie in the same way DDoKF or Leg Fighters are. I haven't seen Hapkido, but it sounds like it should go first as the prototype for kick movies!

Hapkido and When Tae Kwon Do Strikes did have a bunch of kicking in it, but I think one of the first films to really showcase the art of kicking was Tornado of Pearl River, the 1973 film that starred Delon Tan Tao-Liang, and this was two years before Ng See-Yuen's more well-known Secret Rivals. 

Speaking of kicking, my Saturday morning Fu flick was 5-Pattern Dragon Claws, starring Hwang Jung Lee as Kam Fu, a master with aspirations of taking over the martial world and to do so, must find the four books of a rival school. He has a very annoying brother/henchman played by Baek Hwang-Ki, who always causes trouble for his brother. However, Dragon Lee has kept the manuals since the Abbot of Shaolin was found murdered and a fellow student of Dragon's, who had searched for the manuals himself, disappears. Despite objections from his three friends, the formula begins...Dragon fights, gets hurt, trains with white bearded master first, then Shaolin master, then he and Shaolin master take on the duo of Hwang and Baek in the finale. Kim Ki-Hong is also great to watch as Dragon's most loyal friend, who while he objects at first to Dragon holding the manuals, eventually proves his loyalty to his friend. The "lightning" effects in the finale are quite a hoot to watch LOL

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Secret Executioner

Mantis under Falcon Claws (AKA a lot of things apparently) (South Korea, 1983)

Figured I could get some meat for a third review on Animal Styles, but nope. The action is more basher-oriented and it was all pure title-baiting. So I wasted my time on this HORRIBLE piece of s**t.

:hvb_consoling:

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 1

Mantis under Falcon Claws (AKA a lot of things apparently) (South Korea, 1983)

Figured I could get some meat for a third review on Animal Styles, but nope. The action is more basher-oriented and it was all pure title-baiting. So I wasted my time on this HORRIBLE piece of s**t.

:hvb_consoling:

Felt the same after buying this on the Vengeance Video label. I couldn't find any good reason to revisit Mantis Under Falcon Claws. Gave my copy to the local charity shop only for me to acquire it again in the Mill Creek 100 movie box set. It keeps coming back to haunt me. I expected better from actor/choreographer Ga Hoi who handled the action scenes in the superior The Mars Villa. He teamed up with Wong Gwok Chue (Shanghai 13) for MUFC, but it just doesn't deliver in terms of action or anything else.

Yes Jack Long gets really weird with the ladies in Ninja Hunter.  Such a crazy movie and a good watch for Halloween month.  My favorite scene is the zombie fu. 

Also I heard that Ninja Hunter combined new footage with footage from an unfinished movie, but I can't remember the whole story.  I think the zombie scene is from the unfinished movie.

I didn't know about the zombie scene being added from another production. Jack Long nearly steals the film but Alexander Lou Rei is on top form too. There's plenty of classic dubbing too.