Korean Old School Kung Fu Movies

falkor

Morgoth Bauglir

Another one that's a must is Thunder Ninja Kids in the Golden Adventure. Both the Godfrey Ho ninja scenes and the Korean footage are hilarious and filled with good-awesome fights.

Yeah eagle vs. silver fox isn't very Ho like.

One of his ninja movies was pretty decent. I can't remember which one. Two or three were at least entertaining.

The dragon, the hero was ok

I'm mainly familiar with Korean cinema through Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee's films:

5 Pattern Dragon Claws - Features some good fighting from Hwang and some great dubbed dialogue: "I will teach you a kung fu punch, using your fist."

Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger - It's the sleazy cousin to Ninja in the Dragon's Den. I love the finale how Hwang kicks the crap out of Dragon Lee, who can't win using straight kung fu. So Dragon switches into Bruce mode...and still gets whooped. It takes a girl's bare breasts to even up the score.

Hard Bastard - It's Always fun to see Hwang Jang Lee as the good guy and walk away victorious at the end. And ladies, Hwang gets his own love scene!

Eagle vs. Silver Fox - Pretty forgettable.

Hitman in the Hand of Buddha - I've been told this is a Korean production. The beginning and finale make for the Hwang's best fight showcases (thanks to frequente collaborator Corey Yuen), and everything in the middle is pretty solid, too.

• Like 2

DrNgor said:
I'm mainly familiar with Korean cinema through Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee's films:

5 Pattern Dragon Claws - Features some good fighting from Hwang and some great dubbed dialogue: "I will teach you a kung fu punch, using your fist."

Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger - It's the sleazy cousin to Ninja in the Dragon's Den. I love the finale how Hwang kicks the crap out of Dragon Lee, who can't win using straight kung fu. So Dragon switches into Bruce mode...and still gets whooped. It takes a girl's bare breasts to even up the score.

Hard Bastard - It's Always fun to see Hwang Jang Lee as the good guy and walk away victorious at the end. And ladies, Hwang gets his own love scene!

Eagle vs. Silver Fox - Pretty forgettable.

Hitman in the Hand of Buddha - I've been told this is a Korean production. The beginning and finale make for the Hwang's best fight showcases (thanks to frequente collaborator Corey Yuen), and everything in the middle is pretty solid, too.

I own a few of HJL's Korean flicks. Bought these many years ago, Five Pattern Dragon Claws,,Duel Of The Ultimate Weapons, Secret Ninja Roaring Tiger, Martial Monks Of Shaolin Temple, Hitman In The Hand Of Buddha. Hwang Jang Lee is on top form in all of the above titles.

Duel Of The Weapons starring Don Wong is very poor apart from Hwang's performance. The picture quality on the Vengeance Video release is really bad too. Hitman In The Hand Of Buddha is pretty decent and he show's off more than just his leg skills in that one. Love to see Hard Bastard.but that ones evaded me up to now.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Morgoth Bauglir

Duel of Weapons is definitely worth getting for Hwang collectors. I think the best version is the double pack that comes with Last Challenge of the Dragon. Much better quality than the Vengeance and Videoasia DVD.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

It would be good to get clarification on this, my understanding was that it was a HK production, but then HJL used his own production company to also make a slightly truncated Korean version that features a Korean dub. I have the Eastern Heroes DVD, which contains both the HK and the Korean version, and the production companies at the beginning are different than what are displayed on the HK release.

51CZ0VF3SGL._SY300_.jpg

• Like 2

The Vengeance release of Duel Of The Ultimate Weapons is one of the worst Ive seen. The picture quality is bad, & I'm used to sitting through badly cropped third generation transfers. The opening scene with Hwang Jang Lee is a superb showcase of his kicking skills as he takes on multiple attackers.

The film is referred to as Duel Of Weapons in the trailer

Trailer-

• Like 1

I like Duel of Weapons, no story but some very good action and cool snowy location shots.(no pun intended..) it doesn't star the actor Don Wong, but that is the name of Hwangs character(sounds hilarious in the dub too.) It also stars one of the Bruce clones, but I can't remember which one at the time..I think it was Dragon Lee, and his fighting was decent..

It's worth watching at least once for some Hwang action. You actually get to see him in it quite a bit as opposed to just at the end.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

DOTUW is a Filmark production according to the international trailer - I'd be into assuming the Korean movie was the original form and Filmark got it later on (kinda like what happened with Five Pattern Dragon Claws and other movies).

Concerning the Bruce-clone, I'd assume that he is Dragon Lee (since the guy is from Korea), but I haven't spotted him in the trailer.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
I like Duel of Weapons, no story but some very good action and cool snowy location shots.(no pun intended..) it doesn't star the actor Don Wong, but that is the name of Hwangs character(sounds hilarious in the dub too.) It also stars one of the Bruce clones, but I can't remember which one at the time..I think it was Dragon Lee, and his fighting was decent..

It's worth watching at least once for some Hwang action. You actually get to see him in it quite a bit as opposed to just at the end.

Actually it's Dong Won, the best martial arts fighter in the land:bigsmile:

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Actually it's Dong Won, the best martial arts fighter in the land:bigsmile:

And the "Lord of the Leg" !! Seriously, why didn't that nickname stick ? :tongue:

It doesn't look like Dragon Lee from memory. Then again I'm sure the name Don Wong appears on the credits sequence and my DVD cover cast credits. But I'm most likely wrong because its been many years since I watched it. Ill have to retrieve that film from my parents house where its in storage.

It doesn't look like Dragon Lee from memory. Then again I'm sure the name Don Wong appears on the credits sequence and my DVD cover cast credits. But I'm most likely wrong because its been many years since I watched it. Ill have to retrieve that film from my parents house where its in storage.

Well you know as well as I do the DVD cover means nothing! Haha, I'll check mine out when I get home as well. Which version do you have? Mine is Videoasia.

Misleading DVD covers, that's a subject worthy of its own thread:xd:.

I have the Vengeance Video U.K release, Ive had it for it for over ten years. A local shop that's now gone used to stock a lot of the VV titles amongst other labels.

Secret Executioner

The Dragon's Infernal Showdown AKA The Dragon's Showdown (HK/South Korea, 1980 or 1986 depending on the sources)

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7430

An Asso Asia Films Bruceploitation flick produced by Tomas Tang and Joseph Lai, directed by Godfrey Ho and starring Dragon Lee (Bruce Lei).

The story is the typical revenge thing (a family is murdered and the sons want to take revenge while the little girl was adopted by the main villain - not sure how she accepted the fact a guy claiming he's her brother killed her adoptive father, but hey, who gives a shit about plotholes in a movie where a girl wearing a cap fools everybody into thinking she's a guy...), the acting is subpar and the dub is horrid (the usual voices, but sometimes it's just awful), the action is okay (you get the usual nunchucks, some sword and lots of shapes). Also, it's heavy on comedy - too bad the comedy falls flat (Masters Of Tiger Crane, another comedy-heavy Korean flick at least had some moments - and a very badass baddie played by Hwang Jang Lee who's missing here). At least some OTT devices (magnetic swords ?! Utility belts with a red light glowing ?!) and various whacky sound effects got a chuckle or two.

Overall: an okay way of spending 78 minutes, but a really bad movie even by Bruceploitation or Dragon Lee standards. :squigglemouth:

The Dragon's Infernal Showdown AKA The Dragon's Showdown (HK/South Korea, 1980 or 1986 depending on the sources)

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7430

An Asso Asia Films Bruceploitation flick produced by Tomas Tang and Joseph Lai, directed by Godfrey Ho and starring Dragon Lee (Bruce Lei).

The story is the typical revenge thing (a family is murdered and the sons want to take revenge while the little girl was adopted by the main villain - not sure how she accepted the fact a guy claiming he's her brother killed her adoptive father, but hey, who gives a shit about plotholes in a movie where a girl wearing a cap fools everybody into thinking she's a guy...), the acting is subpar and the dub is horrid (the usual voices, but sometimes it's just awful), the action is okay (you get the usual nunchucks, some sword and lots of shapes). Also, it's heavy on comedy - too bad the comedy falls flat (Masters Of Tiger Crane, another comedy-heavy Korean flick at least had some moments - and a very badass baddie played by Hwang Jang Lee who's missing here). At least some OTT devices (magnetic swords ?! Utility belts with a red light glowing ?!) and various whacky sound effects got a chuckle or two.

Overall: an okay way of spending 78 minutes, but a really bad movie even by Bruceploitation or Dragon Lee standards. :squigglemouth:

Bad even by Bruceploitation standards that doesn't sound good. One of my favorite Dragon Lee films is The Dragon The Hero with John Lliu and Phillip Ko.

One of my favorite Dragon Lee films is The Dragon The Hero with John Lliu and Phillip Ko.

That title was shown on U.S. television as DRAGON ON FIRE, not to be confused with another Asso Asia Dragon Lee film, THE DRAGON ON FIRE, which was shown theatrically here as ENTER THREE DRAGONS...

One Armed Boxer
I know this is an old thread, but I'll ask. Years ago, there was a tidbit about an actress named Kim Jeong Ran aka Gam Ching Lan. There was a recent picture as well.

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=14033&display_set=eng

Hi Jesse, can you confirm what exactly it is you're asking? There doesn't seem to be any question in your post.

Hi Jesse, can you confirm what exactly it is you're asking? There doesn't seem to be any question in your post.

I'm sorry. I guess I'm asking for more details abot her, her career, martial arts training, whereabouts, etc.

I have a copy of Secret Ninja Roaring Tiger and its not bad for a low budget film. Must be a good few years since Ive sat down and watched the Hollywood DVD release. Picked up Martial Monks Of Shaolin Temple & Five Pattern Dragon Claw around the same time. All three feature Hwang Jang Lee as the villain and Dragon Lee playing the hero. I think there all Asso-Asia productions too?.